Author Topic: Its Lake Dauphin March 12-13th..UPDATE!!  (Read 16063 times)

Rock Bottom

Re: Its Lake Dauphin March 12-13th
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:33 AM »
BW how old are your kids? I might bring my 2 oldest (7 and 5) out for the day along with the skidoo and the sleigh so they can pull each other around, there will be fun things for all to do. Be nice if you can make it...Rod

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:29 PM »
It's turning into a bit of a toss-up for me as this month is getting pretty hectic.  I am thinking about possibly getting up early Saturday and just making it a day trip.  I understand that going up Hwy 6 from Winnipeg is actually the quickest way to get there.  There is always a possibility I could have a child or 3 along with me.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

grumpymoe

« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:32 PM »
thriller......bring the kids...this is the one time of the year when the outdoors can be so awesome.....if for any reason they have to sit inside.....i am sure rockbottom will make sure they have entertainment.......ki d stuff!!!.....suzanne......Grum p!! ;D

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Thriller...If your going out Saturday maybe we could push each other down the highway  ;D It will be a brutal ride with the kiddies...3hrs one way !!! If I go I may be able to carry some of your stuff in the truck to make room for the pandimoium you call..."CAR RIDE" !!!

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Hey RB. That sounds cool.  My daughter is 10 and my son is 7. Depending on weather we will probabaly go.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2005, 09:13 PM »
i am sure rockbottom will make sure they have entertainment
You better get the Spongebob Movie Rockbottom !!!!  >:( Don't want a bunch of angry kids...and one adult mad at you!!!!  :D :D :D :D

Rock Bottom

« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:43 AM »
Ill bring my own personal collection, I will have the skidoo and the dvd player out there so we will have stuff for them too do. Hopefully they will be too busy catching fish as the bite is really begining to pick up out there.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:11 AM »
I am in for sure and if all goes according to plan I intend on fishing straight through friday night all day and night saturday  and part of the day on sunday!!I know Rod will put us on some fish!!Hey PP it's a good thing our vex's have built in interference regection eh ;) :D
I can also bring some snacks and pop maybe some hot dogs and buns.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:43 PM »
I've never seen Lake Dauphin before, and have no clue as to where to go to get to the shacks.  Is there a landmark we should look for, a highway #, or town to get us on track?  Any suggestions on best way in from Winnipeg?  Maybe Rock Bottom you or Grump could put up a map or some directions in the next 10 days?  Thx.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

grumpymoe

« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:32 PM »
this is very easy without a map..but i will do one anyway before long.....#5 highway west of st.rose du lac about 19 kms to Ochre River....right into town on highway #20....7.1 kms north of the Ochre River bridge to Road 143 North...turn right and go 2kms east on gravel...this will bring you to a farmers lane on the left...turn in, and go onto the lake left of the house....you cannot miss this...the shacks will be noticeable from shore....and likely about 1 mile plus out onto the lake....the map later!!!...Grump ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:08 PM »
for those who might be coming out from the north end of winnipeg, taking highway 6 and then 68 west across the lake manitoba narrows would likely be quicker....following this weekend, i will post several pics with landmarks to ensure no mixups with directions....includin g getting onto the lake.....i just finished enlarging some maps, but it wont make it any easier....pics will do the trick....Grump

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:19 PM »
Thriller...If your going out Saturday maybe we could push each other down the highway  ;D It will be a brutal ride with the kiddies...3hrs one way !!! If I go I may be able to carry some of your stuff in the truck to make room for the pandimoium you call..."CAR RIDE" !!!

Actually, my kids travel well...the key is to sedate them...no, actually, the key is to get them started young.  Camping in the summer can be a bit of a pain, but it isn't too bad - in the last 3 summers, we've put on probably 20,000 kms with truck and trailer.  It isn't always smooth sailing, but generally not too bad.  Two of the three tend to sleep anyway.

On the map note, check out http://www.gov.mb.ca/tgs/map/map4.pdf.  It doesn't have the smaller roads that Grump mentions, but gives a general idea...south end of the lake.

Derek

grumpymoe

Re: Its Lake Dauphin March 12-13th..UPDATE!!
« Reply #42 on: Mar 07, 2005, 06:30 AM »
here's the latest....got out yesterday before the big whiteout and BW kindly towed the Green Machine out beyond the demarcation line around the mouth of the Ochre River..will have Trophyhunter, myself and one hidden guest overnight on friday the 11th....rockbottom has his two big shacks rented out for the same night and saturday....they wont be available until his guests leave saturday...he has at least one other available if anyone intends on coming out the friday...the heat blast from saturday pretty much levelled alot of the snow on the lake....conditions on the old road were pretty good until they filled up with the high winds and light snow...i will update here late week as far as access....anyone with 2wd vehicles or cars, will have no problem parking on shore if needed....we can ferry them out to the shacks...ice is still around 36 inches and should not need extensions..i will post some additional info here tonight...and watch the long range forecast if that counts for anything......later... .Grump ;D

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 07, 2005, 09:20 PM »
With your directions, Grump, I've now marked a little "x" on Lake Dauphin just north and east of Ochre River, and will be aiming for that spot, weather permitting (I no longer drive on icy roads after I hit the ditch at hwy speeds a couple of Marchs ago on Hwy 6 by Ericsdale). - Puts me in mind of Mountain Mama, but not as bad. 
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Alright this weekend is coming fast who's all planning on coming to the get together? ;D

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:42 PM »
First question...3+ hour drive. Looking like a day trip. Now that we have to fish away from the mouths...How is the fishing. I'm really looking forward to heading up and I'm forcing friends to come. Its going to be a long drive and fish would be nice. I know you guys will be honest in answering. Thriller also is considering the brutal day trip with his little ones....fish would be nice. Although we all know...fishing is fishing...what is here today won't be there tomorrow but some honest insight would really be appeciated. HOWS FISHIN' ????

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:54 PM »
AC from what Grump and Rod have posted It has been red hot one day and ice cold the next definatly no guarantee on numbers.It aint no lake manitoba ;) ;D But for me the chance at some nice sized walleyes and burbot with a shot at a big pike is enough ;D I plan on being on the ice from friday night to sometime on sunday so hopefully I can find some fish in all that time on the ice :tipup: :tipup:

grumpymoe

« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:06 PM »
AC....it can be very humbling.....and for the most part it has....the encouraging thing is the fish have always been around or nearby....they just would not bite!!!!....you could see them just under the ice....sunday i had one of the best hits from a walleye you could imagine....doubled the rod over....crank...off... and the sight of the unmistakeable walleye tail on its way...a brute...the burbot are generally near master size on the lake...some days, the bite is on "just over there"....so you move there.....and then it was near where you were.....or....just abit further out....warm weather will improve the bite....no doubt perseverance will get you fish....but it has to be fun too.....and thats what we intend on doing....having fun...the fish...or any fish will be bonus...Grump :P

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:21 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa.... Typical Lake Daupihin report. Thanks guys. Just like the lottery...if you don't play you won't win. OK...I'm watching the weather, If it co-operates I will be there to wake you guys up at 6:30 on Saturday morning. Thriller ??? Comming ???

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:43 PM »
Right on AC I am looking forward to meeting you and fishing with you.........at least I think I am :unsure:  ;) ;D

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:51 PM »
Good luck boy's. I am out officially which is okay. My daughter is dancing saturday and she comes before fishing. Later boy's.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:18 PM »
Be Carful for what you wish for TH. BBBuuuuuuuuhhhhaaahhhh aaaaaaaaaaa Ac at Dauphin !!!! Got Duct Tape ???

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:39 PM »
I got a bag of zip ties AC...just need to remember to pack them  ;D :o

I just broached the subject with the boss...violin teacher is away this weekend, so our usual Saturday issue is a non-issue.  She is annoyed she hasn't caught a fish since before Thanksgiving weekend, so she's getting pretty intent.  It looks like we will try to have the whole family out...we would not be there as early as AC...hopefully around a similar time (or a bit earlier) than MP and PP.  So, right now, I'd call it a definite probably  :-\
Derek

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #53 on: Mar 08, 2005, 10:48 PM »
Well guys have a great weekend.  :'( :'( :'(  Wish I could make it, would love to meet the rest of you. Hopfuly next years get together. Maybe a little closer to this end like the Delta or something.   ::) ::)

Any ways drive safe tight lines and catch catch catch.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Tim

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:47 AM »
Have fun guys hope you cacth a wack of fish and also write back when your done well good luck.
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Rock Bottom

« Reply #55 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Dont worry guys we will find fish, myself and Trophy will organize a hunting party, we would not want some of you old guys to get too tired early in the day you might miss out on some of the action while you take an old man nap...lol Trophy sounds like you fish like me. If you cant catch here lets try over there, I have not been skunked out there yet and I dont plan on it either. I am sorry I rented out the shacks for friday and saturday They will be available saturday  afternoon till we are done with them on sunday so those of you who planned on using them friday night I appologize. So far trophy called one bunk for saturday night so if you want it be sure to put your name on it...Rod

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 09, 2005, 09:40 AM »
RB yes I would say we fish the same way! And since I got my vex it sure makes it easier to find the active fish.I'm really looking forward to fishing with everyone I've fished with before and also some that I haven't as well! Ac I will be watching you man :unsure: ;)2

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 09, 2005, 04:41 PM »
.......we would not want some of you old guys to get too tired early in the day you might miss out on some of the action while you take an old man nap...lol

As the oldest old man, I resemble that remark (as they used to say on MASH), I should be good to about 11 PM, but then I'm sacking out till at least 4 or 5.  I need my beauty rest or my wrinkles get too deep.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #58 on: Mar 09, 2005, 05:09 PM »
I would really like it if someone could bring there flasher, with them. You really have my interests perked on this Ive seen them in all my catalogues but never gave them a second glance. I would like to see how they work, and it sounds like they would work great for my laker trip in april. Not sure how well they work in shallow water like Dauphins though.
Just check with Trophy Hunter........I'm sure he won't leave home without his  ;D
His vex experiences are endless  :bow: :bow:.......I've heard through the grapevine that he is being offered a Vexilar Sponsorship......stay tuned  ;D
Can't wait to see how he uses it for shore fishing  :roflmao: :whistle:
Sorry TH.......having fun at your expense...... :angel
Seriously, I don't think TH needs that vex.......it's just a distraction from the brutal cold winds of Lake Manitoba. 8)
Good Luck to all of you this weekend and may Mother Nature be kind to you all  :)
Tight lines to all and if you want the competition to be close........disconnec t the vex battery  :woot: :woot:

grumpymoe

« Reply #59 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:08 PM »
just thought i would mention that i will be offline through friday, so if anyone has any questions, please ask tonight and through the day tomorrow...i might get online for a few minutes tomorrow night, but wont cross my fingers....i will bring a decent supply of live minnows...rockbottom can bring whatever else you guys need...and priced very well i might add....bring some food!!! snacks...and dont forget drinking water...for those staying over friday night and early arrivals for saturday morning...breakfast is on Grump....Mountainmama has made her delicious chili...enough to feed an army...(read canning size pot 3/4 full)....and hot sauce for those that want some extra kick..i would suggest that everyone bring along some kind of garbage bag to get rid of the junk....paper plate weekend okay?...i have 3 extra folding chairs at my shack....my barbecue will be available throughout the weekend for those that want to barbecue whatever....all the taters and onions that anyone needs....so dont bring at all.....whahoooooooo!!!!!!....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.