Author Topic: Bait Tank 2.0  (Read 11942 times)

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
Re: Bait Tank 2.0
« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2008, 07:22 PM »
I was wondering if that would be enough.  I'm also assuming the filter will keep water moving enough to help against freeze up if kept in a garage, yes?
my tank is a 55 gal drum with a 100gph pump in an outside, unheated shed. I had it freeze over with just an airstone, with the pump it never froze down to -20, i was impressed

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #31 on: Oct 15, 2008, 10:12 PM »
My basement would probably be too warm but my garage is unheated.  Glad to hear things don't lock up.  Might have a new project before the slab sets up.  Thanks guys.

Chris Raymond

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #32 on: Oct 16, 2008, 05:19 AM »
Chris here is a pic of my old tank...a little smaller but just as effective...this tank i had originally built and kept in a garage with no heat...i got a little skim ice on the top a couple times when the mercury dipped below zero, but thats it...300 gph whisper filter on a 55 gal plastic barrel. cheap to build and maintain!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #33 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:49 AM »
Scotty your old set up looks like my new set up.   

Got a question though.  I dont have the luxury of a unheated garage but the basement doesnt really have heat to it.  What is something that I can do to keep the water cold.  Or is that just a luxury and not a necessity ??

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #34 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Add an air stone or two and an air pump and over filter it...  it will keep the water right around 37-40   just be sure to climatize your shiners, severe tempurature differences will shock and possible kill em....  I have a very similar setup and that work for me....
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Oct 16, 2008, 07:31 AM »
do what I did   take apart an old 5 gal water cooler immerse the coil in the water   works great   nice and cold!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Oct 16, 2008, 09:11 AM »
a shovel full of snow everyday is a great and cheap wat to cool the water and add oxeguyn  ;)  soon as we get some at least!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #37 on: Oct 16, 2008, 09:19 AM »
I was brainstorming Ideas from this lovely website and I think I am just going to use frozen water in milk jugs.  That should definatly work but as soon as that snow comes around I will use that also. 

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 16, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Very nice set up Scoot.
 What I used last yr was a display cooler. It holds about 30gals..Used a fish tank pump/filter.
I have it in an unheated shed....Froze up one me a few times so I went and bought a tank heater...Set it at 40. That worked great for the rest of the season.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 16, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Scotty your old set up looks like my new set up.   

Got a question though.  I dont have the luxury of a unheated garage but the basement doesnt really have heat to it.  What is something that I can do to keep the water cold.  Or is that just a luxury and not a necessity ??
My basement is unheated too, and I took periodic temps of the tank all the time and the water was a constant 40-42 degrees.  so by the time I got the bait out to the ice, and the bucket was in the back of my truck all the way to the lake, the water was cooled right down, never lost any bait to Shock!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2008, 06:31 PM »
i usaully beaat me bait up a little when putting them in my bait bucket, so this way here there in shock!! then when i get to the lake they r starting to come out of it and r ready to go :laugh: :laugh:.   nice setup SCott, i think the old one is a good setup too i may do that this year instead of the rubbermaid bin

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #41 on: Oct 19, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I remember as a kid I used the tank on the back of the toilet for my bait. I had a tall, round, wire cage over the outlet so the ball would still work. It worked good and there was always a lot of water changes.

;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Oct 19, 2008, 04:39 PM »
I remember as a kid I used the tank on the back of the toilet for my bait. I had a tall, round, wire cage over the outlet so the ball would still work. It worked good and there was always a lot of water changes.

;D

......"you might be a redneck!"    LOL

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 19, 2008, 05:58 PM »

Now why didn't I think of that??   LOL..     ::)          Couldn't do that with city water.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Oct 20, 2008, 05:27 AM »
front of tank in bowl  brown trout storage!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 20, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Just went outside and snapped a couple pics of the simple set up I've used for many years.  Works fantastic if you have access to water (where legal to store bait), no electricity required! ;D

I'll freeze it in about 3/4 of the height of the barrel.  Bottom is a fine wire mesh to hold bait but still allow fresh water to come in, several drill holes in tank.

Cover has a 2" piece of insulation attached.  In really cold stretches, it will freeze and I'll have to chisel it out to get to bait but still worth it.  Works great, keeps bait all winter.  :tipup:

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 21, 2008, 03:23 AM »
Has anyone tried a regular fish tank?  I see them for free on Craigs List all the time.  My only concern would be a freeze/burst in the garage.  On second thought maybe I'll use an old cooler instead.  I've never trapped bait before.  What do you use in the trap?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #47 on: Oct 21, 2008, 01:22 PM »
What do you use in the trap?
Dog Food...

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 22, 2008, 06:40 AM »
  What do you use in the trap?

dog/cat foood and  breAd,       all my stale stuff gets put in the freezer all yr and have plenty for my trap

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #49 on: Oct 22, 2008, 08:39 AM »
 I have a question. Got my bait tank running right now. Been trapping bait for a week or so and catch a couple suckers here and there. What do suckers prefer for food or does it matter? And what type of traps work better for them? Oh, that's 2 quetions. Sorry. :D
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline scuba04070

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:53 AM »
    for years ive been using a 55 gal plastic drum on its side for a bait tank with a whisper aquarium filter. it has performed hroically and i will still use it to purge new bait. This year however,  I want to be able to keep , trap ,and or buy bait in larger quantity to cut costs and time. After much thought , planning and a litle trial and error, I think I have come up with a good system that will suit my needs just fine!

started with a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank from Tractor supply for 75 Bux.

added a few pcs of plexi glass from home depot for a cover,                25 bux

(Image removed from quote.)

I wanted to draw from the bottom of the tank so out comes my hole saw and now there a hole in my 75 dollar tank  :D I used an old intex pool pump. 650 gph...i have 1000 gph in reserve if i feel i need more.

wherethe water returns to the tank i wanted something  i could trap insulation or fiber fill in but didnt want anything hanging above or submersed in the tank, so I decided to use a $" pvc drainpipe and it worked perfectly!

and with that kind of suction I dont want my bait to get pinned to the intake so i bent a wir mesh guard that gives them a little buffer area

Total cost is about 150 bux and i think it will pay for itself before long

do you have feed the bait at all to keep them for long periods of time if so what do you use?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Oct 23, 2008, 07:07 PM »
I never feed them. just keep the water as cold as ya can...i like to try and keep it under 40 degrees

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #52 on: Oct 23, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Has anyone tried a regular fish tank?  I see them for free on Craigs List all the time.  My only concern would be a freeze/burst in the garage.  On second thought maybe I'll use an old cooler instead.  I've never trapped bait before.  What do you use in the trap?

I use a 55 gallon fish tank. I've kept it in the basement for years. We're buying a house this month so I'll be moving it to the garage.

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Billitrite how is the bait making out in the tank?I just began making mine and gonna be using my spare pool pump.Just wondering if it is to strong?Did the bait get sucked to the bottom?Thanks John.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #54 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:39 PM »
i use a fifty five gallon tank equiped with the filter and air pump. te only maintenance i do to it is to add water every once in a while. no cleaning, no changing water, no changing filter. zero maintenance and it works real good. 
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Billitrite how is the bait making out in the tank?I just began making mine and gonna be using my spare pool pump.Just wondering if it is to strong?Did the bait get sucked to the bottom?Thanks John.

working perfectly...th buffer area is working fine and no fish have been sucked in yet  :D

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:33 AM »
Great cant wait to finish up mine.Got all the pool parts just looking for the rite tank.Just 1 more question are you running 24/7 or running a timer? thanks again John.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Oct 28, 2008, 05:00 AM »
well right now its on a timer but as it gets full it will prolly need to run 24/7  im hoping to FILL it

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Thanks for the help. I`m sure i will be asking more questions as time goes on.Gotta get it built shiners have been coming in.Thanks again John.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 31, 2008, 12:48 AM »
I have a question. Got my bait tank running right now. Been trapping bait for a week or so and catch a couple suckers here and there. What do suckers prefer for food or does it matter? And what type of traps work better for them? Oh, that's 2 quetions. Sorry. :D

did you try asking them which food they prefer? ;D   do u still have ur same tank setup as the pics u put up last year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.