Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Ice fishing derby

(1/4) > >>

fishermanjake:
we need an icefishing derby here in fairbanks.  Trustworthy hardware holds one for the kenai peninsula, why don't we have one here.  All we need is some businesses to sponser.  More people ice fish up here than on the peninsula.

Barleydog:
Maybe it's the size of most of the local interior lakes?  Most of the lakes fished in the midwest and elsewheres are large bodies of water with bigger brood stock base, less pressure per sq. ft., and our average temp. limits folks to fishing in a shanty.  If you think about it, I don't know of too many folks willing to sit on a bucket in -30 weather, (except for us hardcore folks eh.)  If a derby was scheduled one month in advance, it could be disaster in -30 weather.  Trusting weather patterns from past years would make you lean towards scheduling a derby in March.  March has the sunlight, the ice is thick, and the temp. is comfortable.  I would think, (dangerous as usual) that Paxson, Summit, Harding, Birch, Quartz etc. would be pretty good canidates for a derby?  Then again, you would need a sponsor or sponsors?  Would be an extremely fun event if thought out correctly!

KP Alaska may know if there had been tournements in the past?  Seems like I had heard of one on Quartz lake 2 years ago?

icy mike:
What would be really cool is if you combined a few outdoor activities into the shanty.  For instance... the lake should be off the road system but no more that 10-20 miles out.  You would be required to fish as a team of 2.  There would have to be at least 3 class of fish for the derby so more teams would have a chance of placing (i.e. a class for pike, trout, whitefish, burbot, etc...).  All participants would begin at the same checkpoint and would have to be back by a specified time.  For those that are brave and wish to mix in firearms, there could be a check point set up along the way where each team would have to shoot at set targets for points.  While on the lake teams would also be required to at least attempt a small game hunt (hares, spruce chickens, ptarmigan, lynx, etc...) where each animal is worth so many points.  The categories would need to be split for target shooting, fishing, and hunting.  I say that all participants would have to comply with a no alcohol rule (drinking equals automatic disqualification).  I am sure that all would agree that alcohol and snowmachines/firearms DO NOT MIX.  Then additional skills could be incorporated such as a place on the trail where teams would have to build a fire using nothing but primitive methods (i.e. flint & steel, stick & bow, etc...).  There could be catagories for male, female, and co-ed teams.  Well, I should stop here because I am making myself want to go outside.  What does everybody think?

Icy Mike

fishermanjake:
too complicatated it would have to be a national thing to get some interest, my opinion anyway.  sounds cool, but i think that if we find people that are interested we could actually get a derby started here like the one on the peninsula.  All we need is a store to host it, say sentry hardware or something and find a couple more sponsers.  Its really feasable.

Barleydog:
Mike,  Looks like you like calling and huntin'?  How have you done so far this year?  Wanted to get out up here, just finding the time is hard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version