New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

My awful day

(1/3) > >>

knurren:
It started early and alright.  I planned on heading to Stinson Lake so I left at about 6:00a.  By looking at the map, I thought one of the better ways would be to go to exit 28, and take Ellsworth road back.  While on the highway, I had to make an unscheduled stop to use the rest room and add wiper fluid so I could see out my windshield. 

So now, it's about 7:30a and I get to Ellsworth Hill Rd. which is supposed to go around the lake and meet up with Stinson Rd.  What I didn't know (and wish I did) was that Ellsworth Rd. narrows and turns to dirt.  Someone did sand it, but apparently not enough.  While going up, the ice sent me off to the side.  I ended up in a 2' snow ditch with my Jeep.  Called my tow service, only to be told they can't send someone and I'll have to find my own tow truck.  Finally, I decide to walk to see if any of the locals knew somebody.  Luckily, the people in the first house were nice enough and a little pulling and finesse, I was free.

The time is now 9:30a, and with my new directions, I head towards Rt. 25 to get to Stinson the other way.  Now the sun is bright, and I realize I forgot my sunglasses at home.  Rather than squint all day I made another stop at Wal Mart to get sun glasses.  I also got salmon eggs.

All said an done, I showed up right when the action ended.  I was set up and talking to another fisherman by 11:30a.  I left at 3:30p after getting only one wind flag.

Oh yeah, I forgot the skimmer so I had to clean the holes with my hands.  hahaha... no fun.

I'm going out tomorrow to redeem myself.  I hope tomorrow goes better.  I'm going to Stinson again (early early) or maybe Alton Bay.

By the way, thank you again for the hand auger, Murphrem.  That was the one thing that worked great.

jayswimmer09:
at least you got out on the ice!!! it still had to of been a better day then not being on the ice at all

onehook:
I all goes well with work tonight I will be at Alton also.

duck doctor:
John, check your PM buddy!

possumilk:
ellsworth hill road gets nasty during winter and is often impassable.  it gets super slick too.  i made the same mistake about 10 years ago and my buick ended up in a snowbank after spinning around 3 times.  my day went about the same early on... got lost on the way to goose pond in canaan.  the roads up there are not labeled as they are in the nh gazetteer.  random road names left me guessing and ended up on the wrong side of a mountain wasting daylight.  finally i figured out the roads and got down to the pond, which is like a huge bowl where a zillion streams run into.  this made the banks very unsafe with all of the drainage.  i was unable to get onto the pond.  since i was fairly close to the conn. river, i tried that and found no good access point and sketchy ice.  so 2 hours of driving and had not drilled a hole yet.  finally settled on a little bass pond and had good action but no big fish.  23 average sized pickerel and 8 smallsih perch.  no bass.  moved on to a couple more ponds only to be skunked and my boot went through near shore and soaked my sock.  hopefully next weekend will be better. eather was great ;D   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version