Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Yester was a good day - Caught my First Burbot!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Barleydog:
Your welcome Moe!  I did some Burbot this weekend and it turned out pretty good!  I'm not a huge fan of the beer battered, but this one is tasty ;D  Save a couple cold ones for me!

grumpymoe:
barleydog-consider it done >:(

Alaska:
BarleyDog,

Checked my sets again yesterday and caught another three burbot!  The three I caught were about 16", 27" and 30".  

So far, the three smaller fish have come at the mouth a river and the three larger fish have come from a recently cut off bend in the river.  

I pulled most my sets yesterday due to time constraints and am going to purchase the required equipment for jigging really soon!  Thanks for the tip on the glow and large jig.  

I think my hooks are too small as the burbot are inhaling the bait.  I am finding everyone fish I have caught thus far has the hook in the stomach, so I have to keep every fish.  

The only bait I have had luck with so far is the sheefish bellies (though I used some burbot pieces yesterday and haven't checked my sets yet).  

Thanks again,

Alaska

Hard_H2O:
Try some circle hooks. They are designed so that no matter how deep they suck in a bait and no matter how deep the hook goes it can't get a hookset until it comes back out. THen it turns and hooks them in the corner of the mouth. If you try to set the hook with a circle hook it will not work. You have to let the fish take it or reel in slowly. They are perfect for set lines that are left unattended.

fish_slayer:
By reading everything so far, I am sure someone can anwer my question, what is a set, I will be moving to fairbanks next year, we use tip ups in wisconsin, and jig for fish, the way it sounds, its a tip up just left for a while with a special hook called the circle hook, to make a good hook, then they are checked, etc. = catch fish.  just wondering, maybe its somehting I should add to my arsenal.  thanks alot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version