Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

Tipup arsenal

(1/1)

panfishman13:
So I’ve been learning a lot about tipups and how to use them over the past couple years, and after some exceptional success this year, I’m planning to dive headlong into tipups and build out a full arsenal of about 20-25 tipups for different situations and scenarios.

I’ve already got a few preferences decided upon, but I could still use some input:

1. Who makes a solid heritage-style tipup? I owned a couple in the past, but they were second-hand and frankly the previous owner abused them, so they didn’t last long.

2. iFish Pro vs Finicky Fooler rod-holder style tipups: aside from the obvious price point difference, does anyone have experience with one or both? Would love a pros an cons list.

3. Tipup line: I mostly use waxed Dacron backing line made for fly reels, but if there’s something you prefer I’d love to hear about it and why.

4. Storage: I’m a painter in my day job, so I have nearly unlimited access to 5 gallon buckets, but if you know a better way, or have some tips to prevent tangling or damage during transport, I’d love to hear it.

5. Windlass tipups? I’ve seen them featured in a few in-fisherman videos and such. It looks like they’re still manufactured but only by one company, if anyone’s used them, I’d like to know about durability, pros and cons, etc.

Mostly I fish for bass and trout with tipups right now, though I do intend to also target walleye, tiger muskie, perch, and catfish with them.

HWeber:
Ifish-nos have a decent trigger but are trash for storage this more or less makes them unusable imo. Definitely look at foolers or another option

Newman:
  Hi
 I have used them all. since last year I have used the finicky fooler. The fish can run and land on a rod. Good for pike , walleye and trout .  Here is a YouTube vid I just made . I talk about fooler at start.

Thanks
                Newman

appleye:
HT Ice rigger works well and breaks down for OK storage.

esox_xtm:
I can speak to #3 and #5.

#3 - Tipup line is almost always 30 - 36# Dacron. Most often PTFE coated if I can get a value deal on it. I use the vinyl coated stuff on Windlass rigs. See #5...

#5 - Here's a link to something I posted last year: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380170.msg4126992#msg4126992. Still applies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version