Author Topic: New Shanty  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New Shanty
« on: Oct 17, 2021, 12:31 PM »
I will preface this by saying I have been ice fishing about 45 years and had every brand of shanty except Otter. I have had flips, and hubs, eskimo, Frabill, Clam, HT, and a couple knock offs. NONE not one compares to the new Otter Vortex Pro Lodge. It is a 5 sided hub but one side is the new walk in door, great thing. The other 4 sides have both tie downs at the center as well as a tie down at each corner outside that has built it straps about a foot to foot and a half up. This shanty came with 9 yes 9 quality anchors and a carry bag that the shanty fits in easily with room to spare and its quality is as good as the hub.My brother and I set up in under 4 minutes but it would take an extra couple to drill in the anchors. I will be using this for overnights and plenty of room inside for that. Gear bags and rod holders built in on both sides as well as 2 exit poets down low for propane hose and 2 vent holes on top! Entire roof has netting for gear as well. What a great purchase!!!

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2021, 02:00 PM »
I'm not too certain but with Eskimo and Otter costing about the same I think I might make the switch to Otter this year. All those additional features you've mentioned would make life a bit easier on the hardwater. I hate passing my propane hose under the Eskimo skirt and having snow get stuck in the fittings. Also the netting inside the Otter just seems like whoever doesn't make that a standard feature for their products are just being cheap.

Did it come with the beacon as well? I think that is awesome to include.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2021, 07:12 PM »
no for some reason it didnt, I am going to order one though

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2021, 05:00 PM »
you say the entire roof has netting? I pre ordered one from Franks but their display model didn't have any of the accessories installed. so was kinda hard to get the full picture of whats included. never had a hub before, it was the door that sold me, I still trip over the door on my flip over shacks
you should do a U tube walk through video if thats your thing.
Thanks
K

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2021, 09:23 PM »
Just got mine today. Ordered from scheels online. Got it in a week. First hub also. Super excited. Looking around for lighting and accessories now. The chairs in my clam flip over get uncomfortable after awhile.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I looked at the hub online, I couldn't find out how many windows there are. Seems like there are not too many.
We fish mainly with tip ups and watch for flags through the windows especially on colder days.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2021, 11:47 AM »
Looking at the Otter website, its not really clear, but looks like there are 2- horizontal daylight windows and 2 - lookout (vertical) windows. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2021, 06:46 PM »
I fish also with tip-ups. There are a total of 4 windows plus the large area to look out if the door is open.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Your new hub is great for the guy that wants a permanent base camp hut or only moves a few times.  But if your a run and shoot type of fishermen like I am then a quick flip open and go is my best option.   I may move a doz. or more times in a day and travel 2-3 miles to find fish.  The fish are not always in the same locations as they were the last time and waiting is a waste of time.  Good luck with your new hut.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2021, 10:39 PM »
thanks bro, you to. I may only move 1 time a day. If I bring the shanty out its got to be cold and windy so I wont move much when its like that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.