The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Who's trapping bait?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Who's trapping bait?
« on: Oct 11, 2021, 08:00 PM »
I buried my in-ground bait tank today and filled it with lake water. Tomorrow I'll throw some traps in my favorite blacknose dace pond. The plan is to catch enough bait  by Friday to last through the winter. I'm anxious to get on the ice.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Who's trapping bait?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:27 AM »
how deep is your tank? anything special you have to do for it? heater? cover? location? aerator/filter? etc

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2021, 11:52 AM »
I use a 20 gallon plastic tub buried up to the rim. The bottom is about 2 feet below ground level. I made a 4'X4' cover that's insulated with 2 inches of foam. It has a door to get to the tank. The closest it comes to freezing is a 1/8" skin of ice. I don't use an aerator because pumping 0 degree bubbles into it chilled the water enough to freeze.
When I used to dip smelt in the spring I was able to keep them alive until late July in the same setup.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2021, 11:55 AM »
I use a 20 gallon plastic tub buried up to the rim. The bottom is about 2 feet below ground level. I made a 4'X4' cover that's insulated with 2 inches of foam. It has a door to get to the tank. The closest it comes to freezing is a 1/8" skin of ice.

I like that, thanks for sharing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2021, 09:11 AM »
Anyone here ever get any red belly dace? Or fathead minnows?

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2021, 05:28 PM »
I can get hundreds of red belly dace in the spring just after ice-out.  I've got a few in summer and fall but not enough to be worth targeting those spots. The only fish in the pond where I trap bait are brook trout and blacknose dace.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2021, 05:54 PM »
I can get hundreds of red belly dace in the spring just after ice-out.  I've got a few in summer and fall but not enough to be worth targeting those spots. The only fish in pond where I trap bait are brook trout and blacknose dace.

Where abouts are you located? I’m honestly been thinking of getting like a dozen to keep in a displayable bait tank.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2021, 08:50 PM »
I don't divulge my location or other personal details on the internet but I will tell you how I get red belly dace. They swim up the brooks at the end of the smelt spawning run. If you miss the smelt by a day you can dip all the dace you want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.