Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Single hooks opinion

<< < (3/5) > >>

Hillsfisher:
I got tired of deep hook sets and misses using the traditional treble hook rigs.  I switched to making my own leaders (single strand wire and crimps) and single circle hook rigs.  I have had better hook ups, meaning less misses, and way fewer deep hooks.  I am a convert! 

saxmatt:
I like 3/0-5/0 octopus hooks. I’ve seen quick strikes and trebles get swallowed many times and that’s a death sentence. At least with the single hooks I can get the hook out no matter how deep it is my pulling the leader through the gill plate back towards the tail rotating the hook then I go in through the mouth with long pliers.

Rebelss:
I've always prefered the single hook. Small trebles swallowed = dead fish of no return.

whiteymalone:
Gamakatsu's finesse wide gap in a 4/0 or 5/0 is the only hook that you'll find on one of my pike tip-ups. They work equally well with 4-6" suckers or similar sized dead smelt. I hook my baits inline with the spine just behind the dorsal fin. My number of dropped bites has went down dramatically compared to the #4 trebles that I used to use. 

bootstrap:
single siwash on all my spoons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version