New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132623 times)

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #1050 on: Jan 29, 2024, 04:36 PM »
Hey Bogey my friend, so nice to see you and Anne yesterday.  You really over did it though, I wasn't there for the 3 course meal, the coffee was just fine.  Till next time, hopefully its on the ice, if not, I'll be back for more grub.  Sorry I missed the cake, it looked great! ;D   
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1051 on: Jan 29, 2024, 05:09 PM »
Hey Stu how are you doing

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1052 on: Jan 29, 2024, 05:40 PM »
Know kidding , no respect for an elder , shame on you youngsters 😉
 You know a bungee cord would help 🙄
The youngsters should be lucky ol Boggey didn’t have to remove his belt to educate them respect for their elders!!!!😂 lol!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #1053 on: Jan 29, 2024, 11:35 PM »
Hey Jigger, Doing well. I think you know my parents, well they were in a significant car accident back in December, so we have been spending quite a bit of time back and forth from Rochester to Syracuse to spend time with them.  Slow recovery for both.
Jim was telling me you put a cribbage whooping on him recently.  Nice work! Ha
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1054 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:32 AM »
I’m glad your parents are doing better Stu ,and yes after not playing for at least 20 years I came out victorious against the famous Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1055 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:04 PM »
Yo Guys,
Thanks for all the kibitzing. Yes Stu’s parents have been through quite the ordeal. Our prayers have been going out in their behalf for the last month or so. It is obvious you are from tough stock my friend.

Yo Jigger,
You know you caught me on an off day 😜. I demand a rematch. 👍 Best out of three eh?

In keeping with the true intent of our post, just a reminder. The Pond remains locked , but you won’t find a body out there. The Pond has suffered the ravages of unseasonably warm weather. My feeble attempts to access have exhibited very thin and soft ice conditions. I won’t venture beyond the wet boot mark to test ice conditions.

We don’t have too much to hope for until Friday night temps dip down into the teens and even then , Saturday and Sunday will have to follow suit to rebuild a safe thickness. Let us all pray it is so.

In the meantime, I, as many others are finding ice up in Jefferson county. We have been taking our share of fish from LOTI and Goose. Ice up there has been ample along with the take. A bunch of the Pathfinder boys and I are heading up to Goose in the morning. Hope to see some of you up there.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1056 on: Jan 30, 2024, 09:43 PM »
Yo KP,
Got to get you and Freddy up north for some “safe” ice my friend. It would be nice to see you both, cut some holes , catch some fish and most of all, swap some tall tales.😀
This guy ain’t getting any younger. Hopefully enough ice up there I can use the Polaris elite and save the knees.👍

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1057 on: Feb 01, 2024, 08:30 AM »
Hiedi hoo neighbors, as i sit here at work (getting paid for this) I cant stop thinking about such a lousy season we have. I haven't been out once yet and I cant blame the weather to much as my personal life keeps me from the week day ventures. I'm hoping for Saturday wife and brother and i will be out. I'm thinking goose. "Safe enough for a truck safe enough for the wife" words ill never let slip out of my mouth to her again lol. you all stay safe and I'll see you on Friday boggey.
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1058 on: Feb 01, 2024, 07:10 PM »
Yo Pat
Yup, no safe ice on the Pond. You are wise to head north. We have been doing well on Goose and LOTI. Hopefully the night time temps will be cold enough to recover the ice mat , but unlikely. I will keep you posted neighbor 👍

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1059 on: Feb 02, 2024, 03:06 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Just a last note for all considering a trip to the Pond this weekend. My observation, the ice has pulled back from the shore. You might need a plank to get on the ice. If you manage to get on the ice, your spud will pop through with one strike.

Good news is as of this evening, the Pond remains locked. Weather predictions being what they are….predictions, 5 consecutive night of 20 degrees or less may or may not be enough to bring “safe” ice back.

During the interim, I and my friends have been making the trip north and enjoyed some good ice and good catch numbers at LOTI, Goose Bay and Chippewa. Be safe, good weather predictions for the next 5 days.

Boggey

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:19 AM »
Hello Bogey,
How much ice on goose?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1061 on: Feb 05, 2024, 10:04 AM »

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1062 on: Feb 05, 2024, 03:28 PM »
1 more week of this nonsense and then it looks like we might get some colder temps.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1063 on: Feb 05, 2024, 03:46 PM »

Bruce it does look more promising

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1064 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:02 PM »
i don't mind fishing open water   for the next week or 2 i'm planning on fishing as much as i can

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1065 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:07 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Took a trip around the Pond this evening before the Sun went down. That wet five foot apron around the perimeter of the Pond is not healing. It remains an one inch ice thickness. I did however manage access to the main ice mat.

I cut several holes at 20 foot interval stretching some 80 feet out from shore. The ice thickness averaged 3 inches thickness. The ice varied in density and hardness. It cut too easily for me to have any great confidence to venture into deeper areas. I was accompanied by my Annie who watched me from shore.

These are my observations of existing conditions. No recommendations are herein made or implied as to pending safety of access.

A shame as I have been planning a big weekend with the family and grandkids coinciding with the Sandy Creek Fire Dept fishing derby scheduled for this coming weekend. I am praying for some cold nights to add an inch or 2 , but the weather forecast is not too favorable for that outcome.

That being said, I have made several treks up 81 this last week. The latest on Sunday along with 2 of my old fishing partners , Hackett & Dallas. We three septuagenarians depleted the Perch population at Goose Bay significantly.

If the Pond doesn’t get that one or two inches of new ice, we may again be making the trek up 81 to Goose or LOTI where the ice is holding up well at this writing. 8-9 inches. I will do one more ice check tomorrow morning. All for now.

Boggey

Offline Drmoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:45 PM »
 This is Don Schneider
Let me know if you're going to Goose next time i'd like to follow you up or go together.
How much ice is up there and is there public access
Thanks
Don at the Pond

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 06, 2024, 07:33 AM »
Yo Don,
Wednesday is the target date. There is an Army going up. Check your PM’s. Call me. Can you believe the day the Lord has placed in front of us today? We finally got a 16 degree night last night. I am doing an ice check directly after this post.
Boggey

Offline Drmoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1068 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:29 AM »
Yo Boggey
You are the man I'm taking your sage advice. Staying off The Pond today.
I just walked backed Lakeshore your buds are still plugging away ::) ::)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1069 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:56 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Did an ice check at north and south end of the Pond. The 16 degree temps last night were helpful. It gave us an inch or two of ice to get out on the ice mat. Unfortunately it did little to stabilize or increase the thickness of the ice mat.

I cut multiple holes (15) at three separate locations. Holes cut through white ice were an average of 3-1/2”s thick. Holes cut through dark ice were average 2-1/2”s thick. Further, the dark ice was riddled with air bubbles. I’m not bringing the grandkids out on this ice yet. Goose Bay and LOTI looking good…..and safe.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1070 on: Feb 08, 2024, 10:27 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Totally depressing to look out over the Pond this morning. Beautiful bright sunshiny day. Low wind , the Pond is locked and the ice as smooth as a mirror, and yet, this old guy can’t find sufficiently thick ice to venture out on the ice.

Sadly, as well, the Sandy Creek Fire Dept has canceled their Derby scheduled for this coming Saturday. It has been that type of a season. First the Mad River club never did schedule their Derby noting the poor ice conditions on the Pond and now , the Sandy Creek Fire Department bowing out due to poor ice conditions. Can’t blame the Fire Department for their decision making. Their first responders are the ones who place their bodies in harms way should someone need rescue. 

I am concerned as the Derby is not only an important fund raiser for the Fire Department, but a great social event on our local winter calendar of events. While we will sorely miss the opportunity to rub shoulders and kibbutz with our fellow friends ,fishermen and women, we can somewhat soften the financial blow by making a contribution to the Fire Department. Perhaps sending a check to the Fire Department matching the $15 entry fee would be a nice jesture of support for all their efforts.

Just in case you wish to do so, the Fire Department has an ongoing funds raising drive for the community. An additional check from the Ice fishing community would be a token of our sincere appreciation for all they do.

The checks should be made out to :
Sandy Creek Fire Department
Attn: Treasurer
@ Post office 441
Sandy Creek, NY 13145

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1071 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:06 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Yesterday was another trip up 81  to Goose Bay. It’s getting so the Hyundai knows the way by memory. This time was a bit more exciting as I lured, cajoled, enticed my bride , Annie to come with me. So as to make it an enjoyable event, I packed up every conceivable essential and nicety to make the outing a success. Starting with the new Quick fish 3, followed by a heater, snacks and drinks. Ah! a veritable home away from home as it were.

Fearing her dissatisfaction with the cold , the long trek across the icy tundra to our “secret” fishing hole, I was pleasantly surprised to see how readily she settled in to the ebb and flow of ice fishing, shanty style.

So quickly adaptive, she promptly caught the first “keeper”, followed shortly by what would prove to be the largest perch of the day. WOW! Lest you believe all is well, there were a few minor hiccups. All in all, I guess I can’t complain she doesn’t remove swallowed hooks very well. I think I can live with that small shortcoming. Methinks I struck gold here. Now if I can only teach her how to fillet them perch, I can just sit back and catchem. You think?

Boggey and Anne

Annie: Fisherwoman par excellent.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1072 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:30 AM »
Perfect outing Jim..✌️👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #1073 on: Feb 08, 2024, 12:05 PM »
Ahhh...good news from the great green north on Goose...but sad about the derby cancelled.  Lyme/Chaumont cancelled too. :-\

I have lots of memories of ice fishing with my Annie as well

Let me know how you make out with the fillet lessons.  You're a smart guy, Jim...I wouldn't press my luck ;) ::) ;D

Tight Lines, boys...Go Chiefs

~ArkAngel

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1074 on: Feb 08, 2024, 05:27 PM »

That sucks that the derby is cancelled , I had some really nice raffle items for them , I’ll hang on to them for next season , fire departments never get enough recognition

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1075 on: Feb 08, 2024, 11:29 PM »
That sucks that the derby is cancelled , I had some really nice raffle items for them , I’ll hang on to them for next season , fire departments never get enough recognition

Yo Freddy,
Totally agree. I’m sure they would appreciate your support.

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1076 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:12 PM »
great picture ole boy glad you both enjoyed yourselves

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1077 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:22 AM »
Great Day @ Chippewa Derby yesterday with my good friend Nipper. Besides the beautiful blue sky and great conditions. Don and I were both in the running for the pike prize. Also we were blessed with some nice size perch.

Phenomenal turnout for the derby. Kudos to the Chippewa crew for a well organized derby. Alas though Nipper and I caught 3 pike between us we did not get the big prize. Additionally the catch and release format returned many Denison’s of the deep to their watery lares to provide fun for future anglers.

Despite 6-8 inches of ice, the excessive machine traffic on the narrowed access ramp exacted its toll with a machine breaking through the ice just 50’ from the ramp. This at the very end of the derby thereby not effecting the derby. Future access should beware as colder temps to heal the broken ice are not anticipated till later in the week.

All in all it was a great day with most participants not even aware of the break through as most had already exited the ice to make their way to the awards ceremonies. God Bless all who participated and organized the Derby, especially the kids who all received an award.

Boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1078 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:33 AM »
Yo Jim that sounds like a good time.
How big was your pike??
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1079 on: Feb 11, 2024, 12:08 PM »
Yo Jim that sounds like a good time.
How big was your pike??

Yo Dom,

Nice Fat 33 inches. It was a catch, release derby. Had a great time.

Boggey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.