New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132634 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #990 on: Jan 08, 2024, 01:20 PM »
Happy Birthday Jim!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #991 on: Jan 09, 2024, 07:45 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Well it was a great Bday yesterday. Rather than feeling bad about the 1” of slush ice on the Pond , I elected to head up north to check out ice conditions in person, after all, it was my birthday right? So as my birthday present, I packed up the Hyundai Elantra (32 mpg) coerced my Annie to join me and traced the seaway route northward. Only stopping occasionally to check out areas of possible ice build up.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I guess I envisioned some area of the waterway sheltered from the wind warm weather and rain ravages encountered elsewhere.
I wish I could say I found an ice fishing oasis or Shangri la in my travels. Sad to say, every stop I witnessed someone’s foot prints on the sloppy slush venturing out invariably 5 to 10 feet with the inevitable “wet foot” print and the broken ice stumble return to shore. Got to thank that guy or gal for saving me from that wet foot syndrome.

You can see I have matured greatly in my 79 years eh? Well I will cut to the chase. I ain’t giving any ice reports here. You will have to make the 75 mile trip up and back to make your own observations. I did make it up to Black Lake. Stopped at Chapmans to find out who and where the “young and restless” were trying to access. No recommendations here.

We got to endure the warming temps, high winds and rain today and tomorrow to see if Goose and Chippewa thin ice cover can hold. If not we can start all over again with cold night temps anticipated this weekend.
Notably I did not make the trek over the bridge to check Wellesley as I had my trusted friend give me his observations. Again great wisdom saving the $3.50 toll. Thanks Joe. All for now. Got to make some chili and get the cribbage board out. Never know when an old or new friend will pop in for a “friendly “ game of cribbage.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #992 on: Jan 09, 2024, 08:08 AM »
...thanks Jim...

Your birthday adventure ride saved a lot of us the trouble.  You answered the question we all have had in the back of our mind..."mayyyyybe there is that one spot that has 4 plus inches of safe ice."

And sounds like you got (not so good) intel on DeWolf on Wellesley, too

Asked and answered.

We here in the Southern Tier are bracing for rain and possibly lots of it - wind too .

Chili and cribbage seem the best solution for now.  tic tok

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #993 on: Jan 09, 2024, 09:58 AM »
yes thanks, saved me road trip to dewolf , to look ,  ::)
retired let the fishing begin

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #994 on: Jan 09, 2024, 02:26 PM »
Chili and cribbage, if only on the ice, would be the perfect combo.  Not many people my age play cribbage but I'm in a Thursday night league.  We STINK this year lol.
westernmas on the finder

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #995 on: Jan 10, 2024, 06:51 AM »
I see your still flopping Jim.
 I am in Florida going to enjoy some warm weather I hope, my body does not like the cold weather!
Aways glad to hear your stores, we do have a few you and me.
Stay on top Boggey and keep flopping!.

hinkydo [ Rusty ]  always Fish ON

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #996 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:36 AM »
 New Old Guy/Jim , belated birthday greetings glad you had a good day sorry the road trip did not find any places with thick enough ice for you to fish. My condolences to you on Drowin Dots/ Eddie's passing also to his family and other friends.

Steve

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #997 on: Jan 11, 2024, 05:39 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Thanks for all the well wishes and fond memories of Eddie.

79 today. Me and Elvis.😀🕺

A belated Birthday fish ..oops Wish.   79 ?? You are just a baby.   

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #998 on: Jan 11, 2024, 09:20 PM »
Who’s Elvis?!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #999 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:33 PM »
Yo Oldtimer,

So glad to get a comment out of you my friend. I pray you are in good health. Yup you are right, 79 years young. I have my list of fishing icons. You and hunts2long are preeminent. It is always provident to have living, older and wiser friends on that list. Longevity and wisdom are not bad things to aspire to eh?

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1000 on: Jan 12, 2024, 12:08 AM »
Yo TommyBoy,
Glad to hear from you my friend. Hope you get stationed in Fort Indiantown Gap . You will be close enough to stop up and cut some holes in the ice with your old fishing bud👍. Don’t imagine you get much ice down there in Virginia eh? Don’t feel bad , so far this year we have not been covered in glory (ice) either.

As for that Elvis quip, did you forget about that melodious voice of mine? Did you forget the fact I am an Elvis doppelgänger?

Amazing lookalike ain’t it? I rest my case. :whistle:

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1001 on: Jan 12, 2024, 11:28 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Well Jigger took me up on my offer. He came to return a pie plate and brought me some venison as well.

We talked about finally getting out on the ice after this weekend. If not here on the Pond most assuredly up north.

Then Jigger and I got the cribbage board out after he told me he hadn’t played cribbage in over 20 years, promptly beat me up in a very close game. Between you and me. I let him win. ;D. I wasn’t a sore looser. I still gave him the package of Beer brats TommyBoy sent to me to give to him.
All for now, just like the rest of you, praying for some continuous cold ice making weather.
Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1002 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:19 PM »
Well Jim I sure am glad you let me win lol you had some pretty good hands but my luck was still with me,we will have a grudge match soon.Tommy Boy I will have some Venison summer sausage and snack sticks for you when you come up,stay safe and thanks for your service.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1003 on: Jan 12, 2024, 05:29 PM »
Can’t wait to get back up that way. Well at least PA. I can drive up on the weekends for ice fishing. Not much water around where I’m gonna be. Mainly trout streams etc.. hopefully I can get up there whenever the ice decides to come this spring. If not I’ll definitely be able to this next ice fishing season. All you boys don’t get too ancy up there. Saw a couple brothers went out on an inch of ice in otsego and didn’t end up well. So check that ice before you get on it. Don’t take anybody’s word on conditions. Everyone be safe this year! Oh and bogey has be known to spin a yarn or two on these posts…. So verify facts! Elvis…
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1004 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:03 PM »

Get a haircut hippy!!

Yo TommyBoy,
Glad to hear from you my friend. Hope you get stationed in Fort Indiantown Gap . You will be close enough to stop up and cut some holes in the ice with your old fishing bud👍. Don’t imagine you get much ice down there in Virginia eh? Don’t feel bad , so far this year we have not been covered in glory (ice) either.

As for that Elvis quip, did you forget about that melodious voice of mine? Did you forget the fact I am an Elvis doppelgänger?

Amazing lookalike ain’t it? I rest my case. :whistle:

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #1005 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:09 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Well Jigger took me up on my offer. He came to return a pie plate and brought me some venison as well.

We talked about finally getting out on the ice after this weekend. If not here on the Pond most assuredly up north.

Then Jigger and I got the cribbage board out after he told me he hadn’t played cribbage in over 20 years, promptly beat me up in a very close game. Between you and me. I let him win. ;D. I wasn’t a sore looser. I still gave him the package of Beer brats TommyBoy sent to me to give to him.
All for now, just like the rest of you, praying for some continuous cold ice making weather.
Boggey

YO!! J-BOG!! We lost track of each other…my apologies!!! PM on how you are doing when you get a chance!!
Wayne W.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1006 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:36 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

This is the ANSWER.

Boggey, any ice on the Pond yet?

30 mile an hour wind. Taken @ noon Sunday

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1007 on: Jan 14, 2024, 01:27 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

This is the ANSWER.

Walleye chop lol

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1008 on: Jan 14, 2024, 01:32 PM »
the  walk  would  be a killer  but i bet it would be  easy to drill threw

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1009 on: Jan 14, 2024, 02:50 PM »

That will be locked by mid week…

Yo Guys & Gals

This is the ANSWER.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1010 on: Jan 15, 2024, 08:54 AM »

That will be locked by mid week…
[/quote]

Yo TommyBoy,
From your mouth to God’s ear.

Yo Wayne, you got to get together with TommyBoy and show him some of those mountaintop lakes in PA where he can cut some ice.  Meantime , you can come up here and fish with your old friends.

Boggey

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1011 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:00 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

This is the ANSWER.

Built that wooden seawall about 20 years ago maybe more. Can't believe it's still holding up.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1012 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:27 AM »
 Yo mcully.
Your craftsmanship is evident. 👍👍👍

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #1013 on: Jan 16, 2024, 01:18 PM »
James wow Sandy Pond gets slower to the ice machine in my home Northeastern Mountain Pa. already 4 inches but the shoreline skim from rain erodes into the shoreline  I am ready to ice fishing on Thursday or Friday  I can't wait go up frenzy perch Eel bay on TI

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1014 on: Jan 16, 2024, 02:09 PM »
Bigbuck326 I heard Eel Bay access was blocked off because of construction and signs/barricades were in place to where we normally access. I was going to call TI baitshop later this week to confirm. Have you heard anything?

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1015 on: Jan 16, 2024, 02:57 PM »
There is a thread started with the eel bay info. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=394655.0
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1016 on: Jan 17, 2024, 04:48 AM »
Yo BigBuck,
Hope you were able to read the posts from KP and JoeFish about access at Eel Bay.
Please note, I am not posting any conditions for the Pond . To do so would be irresponsible.

I will give my observations after checking both ends of the Pond. You are correct about the snow. It is killing our ice build . Less so here on the Pond as the extreme snowfall being reported From Watertown and points north along the St Lawrence river.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1017 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:46 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals ,

It is a rough one out there this morning. Winds are brutal. 25-30 mph with higher gusts. We had 3-4 inches of fresh snowfall overnight and the wind has blown the majority of it against our east shoreline. Visibility is about 50 ‘ at present. Can’t tell if the ice is locked, can’t see that far.

No ice check is being offered at this writing. Will follow up later today. Stay safe and patiently wait for good ice.

Boggey

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1018 on: Jan 17, 2024, 08:00 AM »
Must be making ice by now. Onieda locked up 2 days ago.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #1019 on: Jan 17, 2024, 10:24 AM »
Salmon/Steel Head fishermen, I live on the Salmon River in Pulaski and have prime access to several famous fishing holes like the staircase right at the end of my driveway with plenty of room to park. What I'm looking for in return is private access to North or South sandy pond (Preferably Both) for the upcoming Ice season. As I'm sure many of you are aware social media has quickly made it extremely difficult to find parking even for locals, myself included! The days of seeing only a handful of Shanties on the pond are over and along with that goes the parking!! Yes, I could just get up earlier, but I have a 4 and 6 year old that accompany me quite frequently and unfortunately, they don't have the longevity of an adult so it's not uncommon that I find myself making a trip back to Pulaski to drop them off. Several times in the past 2 years we have been blocked in making it difficult to leave for various reasons (people lack common sense/decency these days but I won't get into that). I assume with the late start to the season this year the parking is only going to get worse so I'm offering a trade of sorts, fishing access for fishing access!! Send me a PM if you are interested, I've been Ice fishing for over 30 years and know the Pond very well, we don't need anything other than parking but making a few new Ice fishing partners is always welcome!! I will probably post this on a few other pages for places that we frequently fish as well, although I wish I didn't have to.... thanks, social media!!   
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.