New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132641 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #570 on: Feb 19, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

At 1:30 it is even worse if you can imagine that. Did you ever have one of those days when you should have stayed in bed. Not metaphorically speaking. Really, should have pulled the covers over my head and slept in.

All is not lost. Got back to camp. Got to spend some time with my buddy Stu and we had a coffee and shared a few war stories. Couldn’t talk him into staying for a game of cribbage though.

Already went down to Woodies (Karen’s now) and bought a new jigging rod and reel. Let the healing process begin.👍👍👍

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #571 on: Feb 19, 2022, 02:05 PM »
New old Guy/Boggey sorry to hear about the lost gear and getting chaesed off of sandy Pond by the high winds and snow. May all of the reports you have posted here on ice shanty this season built you some good karma and you find the gear once weather improves and you can get out searching for it. Hopefully someone else found your gear and turned it in to local athorities or bait shop and you ge everything back.

Steve

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #572 on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:20 PM »
New old Guy/Boggey sorry to hear about the lost gear and getting chaesed off of sandy Pond by the high winds and snow. May all of the reports you have posted here on ice shanty this season built you some good karma and you find the gear once weather improves and you can get out searching for it. Hopefully someone else found your gear and turned it in to local athorities or bait shop and you ge everything back.

Steve

Yo Mr Clean,

“From your mouth to God’s ear.” May it be so. What would life be without a little drama eh? I’ll bet there are a bunch of stories to be told about the adventures of the stout and yes, the foolish who ventured out on the ice today. I pray none ended in physical injury or bodily harm. Fishing poles and pails can easily be replaced. Hope you all got in safely and maybe you have a story to share with the rest of us about today’s adventure on the Pond. “All’s well that ends well”. (Well), for me is just waking up from a nap 😴 in my warm bed and listening to the wind howl.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #573 on: Feb 19, 2022, 03:46 PM »
Jim...

Terribly sorry to hear about your (mis)adventures this morning.
 :-\ :'(
Let us help you out Jim.  It would be an honor to help someone who has helped so many.  It's called "good karma".

Speaking for myself - you have been a person who has reached out to me and offered hospitality above and beyond.

PM me or better yet call when you're free.  I've been blessed with an abundance of gear that has been accumulated over the years and left to me by my recently departed Grandfather - augers, pails, jigging rods...whatever you need... grampa would be THRILLED to see his gear used with the same vigor that he once possessed!

Anyone reading this/these posts should know that I dropped in on Jim a couple weeks ago - virtually last minute and unannounced.  Jim and his friend Big Buck ushered me onto the ice - put us on a few perch - tangled with a pickerel and a respectable northern before returning to base camp.

Only a couple hours of fishing - but Jim became a friend on the spot.,,and as genuine a man as I have ever met.

~Arkangel

Oh, and coming off the ice - Mr. Jim and I were pulling our own jet sleds - I can tell you right now - that boy is hard to keep up with.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #574 on: Feb 19, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Yo Mr Clean,

“From your mouth to God’s ear.” May it be so. What would life be without a little drama eh? I’ll bet there are a bunch of stories to be told about the adventures of the stout and yes, the foolish who ventured out on the ice today. I pray none ended in physical injury or bodily harm. Fishing poles and pails can easily be replaced. Hope you all got in safely and maybe you have a story to share with the rest of us about today’s adventure on the Pond. “All’s well that ends well”. (Well), for me is just waking up from a nap 😴 in my warm bed and listening to the wind howl.

Boggey

Boggey, good to see you are keeping a positive attitude about the lost gear.
 Steve

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #575 on: Feb 19, 2022, 05:25 PM »
I'm planning on bringing the grandkids Monday. Where would be best for kids wigwam or Green Point?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #576 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:17 PM »
Yo Larry, Rick ,Chris, Pat,Dom

Thanks for the offers . I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was destitute. I just wanted other fishermen to keep their eyes open for the runaway pail as it had my 3 newest and best poles in it. With 13 grandkids you know old Boggey has many more poles on his porch for them to use.  Thank you all for your kind offers. I am truly blessed to have such good friends.

Boggey

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #577 on: Feb 19, 2022, 07:20 PM »
We didn’t think that way at all, Jimmy!! Just reaching out to help a friend. 😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #578 on: Feb 20, 2022, 12:26 AM »
Thanks Larry
“Pride goeth before the fall” I guess.

Boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #579 on: Feb 20, 2022, 06:19 AM »
We didn’t think that way at all, Jimmy!! Just reaching out to help a friend. 😎

X2.    @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #580 on: Feb 20, 2022, 08:43 AM »
Boggey...

I'm with KingPerch - that never crossed our minds.  Just returning a favor... ;D

It occurs to me - that you'd be first in line to help others if that had happened to them...anyone that knows you would agree.

Quick - non fishing (but related) story.

Many years ago - a close friend of mine had an unfortunate accident that rendered him mostly paralyzed.  He lived in a 2 story home where his bedroom and bath were upstairs.  A group of us banded together and we wanted to get him one of those chair style step elevators.  Back in the day they were not common and VERY expensive.

Long story short - we sold 50/50 tickets and got it paid for and installed BEFORE he came home from the hospital.

We were all gathered together for the surprise reveal when he arrived home.

His reaction?  Very uncomfortable with the generosity - then someone said... "hey Joe, would you have done the same thing for any one of us...?"

Complete silence...he knew the answer. 

More good news - Joe made a nearly complete recovery and paid it forward with gifting the elevator to someone else.

You, kind sir - would've done the same thing.  And it's nice to know that you are loved.

'Nuff said...carry on...!   :icefish:

~Arkangel

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #581 on: Feb 20, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Guess what I found on the ice on my way back to the camp for a coffee break? Yup! You guessed it. The super white pail with all contents intact. The pole tips were not broken. The fish were even in the bucket as well.

I feel foolish after all this falderal about nothing. Well not exactly nothing. It’s nice to know who your friends are. All for now. Now I got 4 good jigging rods eh?
Boggey

Boggey eh?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #582 on: Feb 20, 2022, 09:33 AM »
Way to go Jim….👍👍

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #583 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:07 AM »
New Old Guy/ Boggey happy to read you found your pail and rods nice bonus the bait fish were still in the pail.  :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Steve

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #584 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:11 AM »
That's so awesome that you were able to find your stuff 👍
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #585 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:39 AM »
Glad you found your stuff Jim,I took a ride to Green Point to see if I could round up any lost stuff to return to the owners but did not find a single thing.I did find a white pail but nothing was in it,good luck everyone and stay safe,sorry to have missed you Stu.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #586 on: Feb 20, 2022, 10:49 AM »
boggey  :thumbsup: and  no matter what  you do have friends  ;D..................... now get fishing

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #587 on: Feb 20, 2022, 01:41 PM »
I KNEW with the weight of all the perch you must have caught that the pail would not travel too far :)   Glad to hear you were reunited with your poles and your perch.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #588 on: Feb 20, 2022, 01:42 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Guess what I found on the ice on my way back to the camp for a coffee break? Yup! You guessed it. The super white pail with all contents intact. The pole tips were not broken. The fish were even in the bucket as well.

I feel foolish after all this falderal about nothing. Well not exactly nothing. It’s nice to know who your friends are. All for now. Now I got 4 good jigging rods eh?
Boggey

Boggey eh?
It all comes out in the wash.
Good karma for a great guy.
Happy you got the stuff back
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #589 on: Feb 20, 2022, 04:19 PM »

Yes sir karma has its ways of repaying

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #590 on: Feb 20, 2022, 04:38 PM »
i don't believe in karma ......i believe God  just looks out  for old  farts   ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #591 on: Feb 20, 2022, 06:03 PM »
i don't believe in karma ......i believe God  just looks out  for old  farts   ;D
In your case he’s working on overtime 😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #592 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:14 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

For all of us who don’t have to work today? Primo conditions. Maybe best of the year. We still have lots of good ice on the Pond with the caveat, warm weather, sun and fast ice melt at the creek flows will be deteriorating our conditions today and tomorrow.

As we have become spoiled with our great conditions, don’t forget we are approaching “spring conditions “ and that spud should be in your hand or at a minimum on your sled.

Top will have some slush and a lot more standing water, but all in all, a great day. Hope to see my buds and family out on the ice today

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #593 on: Feb 21, 2022, 11:59 AM »

Yo Guys & Gals

This is real time from my phone. Stanley Drive (state boat launch) is destroyed at the Ramp. You can walk around it but no access with machines

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #594 on: Feb 21, 2022, 06:11 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

As I predicted it was beautiful day with only a brief ray of sunshine at noon and at the closing of the day. The fishing and the “catching” were phenomenal. The few remaining snow drifts are slowly melting into the ice mat. There is a lot of water ponding on the ice as well.

Snow mobiles and sleds were abundant on the ice today as evidenced by the fastly deteriorating access ramps. The Stanley boat ramp perhaps the most egregious. Temps at this writing are still 45 degrees. With continued warm weather and predicted rain for tomorrow, this old geezer will opt to walk out tomorrow.

As I mentioned the bite and size was great today. My fishing bud,BigBuck and I put 27 and 28 slobs in our buckets today. That’s more than a sink full.

I’m sending BigBuck back to PA with 4 big bags of fillets. Am I not the ultimate host. Picture is of a very happy Pennsylvanian.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #595 on: Feb 22, 2022, 04:16 AM »
Congratulations to both of you for a great day on the pond

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #596 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:15 AM »
Yo Jigger

Yes, I am blessed to have such good friends. BigBuck (Chris) never ceases to amaze me. Born non hearing he has never allowed that to limit his lifestyle. He has managed to overcome, all obstacles. He is one of my favorite heroes .

We both had a great day on the ice as we have many times in our 10 year fishing friendship.i look forward to his summer visit when we will continue our fishing adventures on Oneida Lake in search of walleye.

Just a quick note for fishermen and fisherwomen, the ice base on the Pond remains over 10”s thick, but the access ramps are taking a beating. Keep in mind with the fast waning ice conditions, you stand the danger of getting your machine on the ice with no clear avenue of exit.

Personally, I am a walker this morning. Traveling with my spud in hand every step of the way. Be careful out there and it is time again to say “spud,spud,spud”

Boggey

Post Script: BigBuck and I managed less than 60 perch between us. The difference was my 25 were half the weight of his 28 perch, monsters all. As you can see from his picture.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #597 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:56 AM »
Boggey - BigBuck ...

GREAT JOB GUYS...!!!

Those are some dandies!!!

I was honored to have fished with both of you this season - and look forward to doing that again.  It's only February 22 so there is a lot of winter left - but these temps and incoming rain make it hard for us weekend warriors.  Crossing my fingers.

Thought I would share with you that I spoke to an old friend who is a guide up on the Seaway Trail and Thousand Island region...he reported to me that he has not stepped foot on LOTI this year because the big bite has been on Sandy Pond...size and numbers have been impressive...above and beyond recent past...even during the normal slow down of February.

Hoping that March will stiffen the ice for the big pre-spawn bite. - Good Lord - March is only 1 week away!

~Arkangel

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #598 on: Feb 22, 2022, 11:01 PM »
Yo ArkAngel
Guess I’m not smart enough to know why this has been such a banner year for perch on the Pond. I would, however give credence to your friends hypothesis, “ the deepening and maintenance of the cut” was one of the contributing  factors.

Boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #599 on: Feb 23, 2022, 05:25 AM »
Way to go guys..👍👍👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.