New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132579 times)

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #210 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:06 PM »
My honey hole came alive fast bite then completely shut off

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Feb 18, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Musta been the day, Congrats! Seen a report come in from Warren County with a great catch today also. GRRRR I hate work!! LOL

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #212 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Very nice Buddy ,I did a papa day on lake view and the pike bite was slow

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #213 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Yo John

Looks like dinner to me.👍👍👍

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Have conditions improved any??  Looking to fish Sandy this weekend with a side by side if conditions are agreeable.

That's a good pile for the pond .... esp. if they all came in one flurry.  :tipup:

Thanks.

DAN

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #215 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:26 AM »
Yo Jigger,

Grand kids going back to Nola today. It’s been a busy, hectic week. At least I got to plant a fishing pole in their hands and show them where fish come from (albeit little ones)

I Hope your Dad day was as good as my Poppy week.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:11 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Old Boggey is going to make a “trudge report” for all you weekend warriors thinking of heading to the Pond this week end. I will also run the sled out to see if I can stay on top of the slush fields.

Boggey

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:18 AM »
I wanted to share my great day. But thats not a Pond catch. I have a rock pike west of Long Point in Chamont. Check navionics its called Nicks hard bottom. 14-16 fow.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #218 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

A quick trip around the Pond pretty much confirms the slush fields are still there, a little more prevalent at the north end by Cove road , Blind creek and the Stanley drive access.

Talked to a snowmobiler who came out of Stanley, he had to negotiate a couple of slush fields on his way out, but managed to speed up to get through them.

Stopped and talked with Shaun who walked out from Stanley, for the most part he stayed on top of the thin crust, however when he cut his holes the direct area was turning to slush. Stopped and talked to a family who dragged out from Eddy’s Cpve area. No problem. Just a light covering of snow.

I did a circular route around the Pond. Cut several holes, all holes had 7 to 8 inches of crusty and or loose snow over about 10 inches of good ice. I did not check Green Point.

My general observation is there are still lots of those slush fields covering a lot of the more frequently fished areas. A low clearance 4 wheeler will have greater difficulty negotiating travel through the slush fields. The sleds will have to maintain good speed through them and walkers will stay on top of the thin crust until they encounter a fresh slush field or start cutting holes.

Further encumbrance is the continued snowfall amounts ,current and projected, moderating temperatures do not bode well  That’s my trudge report for Friday am. Stay safe out there. Save some of them perch for me.

Boggey

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:44 AM »
Future fisherman Grampys bud

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #220 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:50 AM »
Yo John,

Looks like a keeper to me. Just a note of caution, Nick’s Hard Bottom at Chaumont has become deluged with an unforeseen abundance of ice fishermen and fisherwomen.  :whistle: :whistle: Just sayin.

Boggey

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Thank you for the report!!  Its amazing how good ice conditions can go to hell in such a short time.

Dan

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:57 AM »
Boggey Im not the type to hide "all"my hot spots...lots of fish. Don't mind sharing ......just don't ask about my smallmouths spots. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #223 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:59 AM »
ok .......tell us about  da small mouth spots  mister

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #224 on: Feb 19, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Thank you for the report!!  Its amazing how good ice conditions can go to hell in such a short time.

Dan

Still, all in all, better than last year. We do have some good ice under that slush and maybe Saturday night temps will be cold enough to tighten up some of that slush.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #225 on: Feb 19, 2021, 11:14 AM »
New Old Guy...

REALLY appreciate the Pond Slush Update...

As much as I love the Pond and don't mind the 2 hour drive to my camp - I DO mind getting cold, wet feet..!

My local spies report the same issue here on Ponds/Lakes here in the Southern Tier.

I have called an "Executive Bored Meeting" with my fishing peeps in my garage for this Sunday - where we will plan our next outing while sitting around a buddy heater drinking frosted beverages...it's the next best thing - I suppose.

Arkangel - OUT!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #226 on: Feb 19, 2021, 11:23 AM »
New Old Guy...

REALLY appreciate the Pond Slush Update...

As much as I love the Pond and don't mind the 2 hour drive to my camp - I DO mind getting cold, wet feet..!

My local spies report the same issue here on Ponds/Lakes here in the Southern Tier.

I have called an "Executive Bored Meeting" with my fishing peeps in my garage for this Sunday - where we will plan our next outing while sitting around a buddy heater drinking frosted beverages...it's the next best thing - I suppose.

Arkangel - OUT!
Well rather then sit in a garage. Get in the truck with those peeps and head past the pond to chaumont for the day and then back to your camp to regroup for Sunday. That would be my option, then again I retired from drinking so I look for things like that. For the 1/2 hr extra drive I say worth it to wet a line and no slush.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Ok Trap... we keep our boat THE KRACKEN... at Harbors End in Henderson, Stoney Island you can explore that’s all ya get😀🇺🇸😎

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #228 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:21 PM »
Where’s Henderson ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #229 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Well rather then sit in a garage. Get in the truck with those peeps and head past the pond to chaumont for the day and then back to your camp to regroup for Sunday. That would be my option, then again I retired from drinking so I look for things like that. For the 1/2 hr extra drive I say worth it to wet a line and no slush.
 I’m just retired , 😜

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #230 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:03 PM »

I mean I’m laid off in winter to but I miss all those good spring and fall days. So I try to go and get it done. Lol
And I love ice fishing. Do why I enjoy it so much but it’s very relaxing to me even on the most frustrating days out there for me. 
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Thanks bogs for the update, gonna have the wife bring the kids muck boats out for safety. If y’all see a clam shed out on at the wig wam that’s me stop by for a drink lol
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #232 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:02 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Got to get my second Covid shot today. I will get on the ice this afternoon if no side effects. I will run up to Chaumont and check The Kraken’s hot spot tomorrow, if I don’t have any reaction to the shot.👍👍👍

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #233 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:09 AM »
Ok Trap... we keep our boat THE KRACKEN... at Harbors End in Henderson, Stoney Island you can explore that’s all ya get😀🇺🇸😎

i have a top secret spot in front of oswego collage called ford shoels ...no one knows about it so shhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #234 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:14 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Got to get my second Covid shot today. I will get on the ice this afternoon if no side effects. I will run up to Chaumont and check The Kraken’s hot spot tomorrow, if I don’t have any reaction to the shot.👍👍👍

Boggey

hope you feel great , glad you got number 2

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Feb 20, 2021, 12:14 PM »
i have a top secret spot in front of oswego collage called ford shoels ...no one knows about it so shhhhhhhhhhhh

Tell me more
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #236 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:13 PM »
i can remember pushing a small boat across the snow next to ninemile and fishing the bubble. Water is like bathe water and your feet didn't even get cold. And the browns were all over the place Another consequence of 911.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #237 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:15 PM »
Tell me more

i can't it's top secret

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #238 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Got out this afternoon for three hours. I had to run the slush gauntlet down at my end of the Pond (Blind Creek). I just picked a spot out in the middle of the Pond with no traffic and no holes. I cut one hole, dropped my willow jig down the hole and caught about a hundred perch. Non stop. Sorted through them to keep ten. Loaded the jig with spikes. They wouldn’t touch the perch eyes today.

Beautiful sunny afternoon. Over a hundred shanties as far as I could see and count. The singular hole I cut had 7 inches of white ice and snow over 9”s of hard ice. By the time I left the hole the immediate area around the hole was slush. Still, it was a great day to be out on the ice.👍👍👍

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #239 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:13 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Great news. The overnight temps dropped down to 2 degrees, hopefully, enough to tighten up some of that overlying slush and snow. Coupled with moderate winds and brilliant sunshine, this just might be the best day of the year to get the kids (family) out on the ice.

Looking ahead we have three more days of warming temps and snow or rain events. Just sayin. Let’s enjoy it while we got it.

Bringing my youngest son and grandson out to day. Hot Chocolate hot dogs and pepperoni sticks. Got to break him in right wouldn’t you say?

Boggey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.