New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132555 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #180 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Yup.
 Once done put on a bun Mayo , lettuce and tomato..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Yep and don't forget the nice boneless chunks along the back and along the tail...sweet meat that even holds up on a good hot grill.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:51 AM »
👍😀🇺🇸😎
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #183 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:43 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Well Old Poppy finally got his wish. My middle son and his family arrived safely from New Orleans last night at 10pm. That family includes my 5 year old grandson (ninja) and 4 year old granddaughter (Princess) who has never even seen snow let alone been out ice fishing. Ah! Today shall prove to be interesting. I’ll get back to you, with pictures, at the end of the day after Poppy gets “relearned “ about planning  ice fishing outings with the grandkids. Wish me luck.👍👍👍

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #184 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:50 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Well Old Poppy finally Got his wish. My middle son and his family finally arrived safely from New Orleans last night at 10pm. That family includes my 5 year old grandson and 4 year old granddaughter (Princess) who has never even seen snow let alone been out ice fishing. Ah! Today shall prove to be interesting. I’ll get back to you, with pictures, at the end of the day after Poppy gets “relearned “ about planning  ice fishing outings with the grandkids. Wish me luck.

Boggey
Good luck out there boggey

Don’t let them youngens take you to school to bad. Lol.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:19 AM »
That sounds fun Boggey. Enjoy your day!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #186 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:46 AM »
Yo Jim,
 Sounds like the makings for a great time.  Enjoy buddy..

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:55 AM »
Enjoy your day and good luck...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #188 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:30 PM »
Have fun Buddy!  Sounds to me, no matter the fishing, you have won
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #189 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Good luck buddy and have fun and make memories

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:58 AM »
How’d your family fishing outing?

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Picked this one up earlier today 😀😀😀😀😀

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #192 on: Feb 16, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Wait...ok...okayyyy... I think you're trying to pull a fast one on us.

You couldn't get that white perch through a 6" hole anyway...how stupid do you think we are?  :icefish:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:27 PM »
😀😀😀 sometimes I think I’m funny 😀🇺🇸😎

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Feb 16, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Sorry for the delay. Lost the key to the Polaris. Truck brakes locked up and just a ton of scheduling differences between my son and me, but somehow we got back on schedule today.

Finally got on the ice after a breakfast by demand from grandkids, blueberry pancakes & sausage. Accessed at Blind Creek ramp . 3 trips to get the shanty , 2 kids along with mom & pop. Overcast moderate wind and light snowfall.

If the day had ended there it would have been fine for my grandkids. Loved the ride out on the snowmobile. Worried how they would adapt to the cold having just arrived from NOLA . No problem. They were out in the weather most of the morning although poppy had the shanty set up with the heat on.

The only time they sat in the shanty was when we cooked the Hoffman hotdogs. Other than that the day was spent shoveling pathways to nowhere, making snow angels and playing with the fatheads in the bait pail. To think, I was worried about boredom for the kids :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Well at least my son and daughter-in-law got to do some fishing. Daughter-in-law’s first time on ice acquitted herself admirably considering the “keepers” were hiding most of the morning. Zack, my son got off to a slow start, but by noon he got the hang of it and some “keepers” found there way to our holes. Poppy had to save face by setting up the top downs.

Not keeping score or anything but daughter-in-law got the most, son got the biggest, poppy cheated with the tipdowns and grandkids definitely had the most fun.

After a reverse order back to camp and poppy’s ritual nap, all are about to watch poppy fillet them perch. In retrospect, I was wondering if I had anticipated half the catch to be “poorman’s shrimp”😀😀😀

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:55 AM »
Sounds and looks like a fun day buddy,thanks for sharing

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:14 AM »
Great pics!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #197 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:20 AM »
 Yo Jim looks and sounds like a great day.👍👍👍

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:29 AM »
Pictures of smiles says it all👍🇺🇸

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:41 AM »
Great pics. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #200 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:44 AM »
great report old man ...... ig smiles  and a great family day  :thumbsup:

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:20 AM »
A great day. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline CNYperchsearch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:05 AM »
Good job Boggey on the family outing.  I’m envious, as I have two grand kids who want to go ice fishing, but I haven’t been able to get them out yet.  I’ll have to get you to give me tips on how to make the first trip a good one.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #203 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Good job Boggey on the family outing.  I’m envious, as I have two grand kids who want to go ice fishing, but I haven’t been able to get them out yet.  I’ll have to get you to give me tips on how to make the first trip a good one.

Yo Perchsearch

Feed them and keep them warm.👍👍👍

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #204 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:22 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Just a quick heads up on the conditions. Due to the hefty amounts of snowfall. The weight of the snow puts pressure on the ice . This added weight causes water to come up through the holes and the area quickly becomes a slush field. The highly fished areas (lots of holes) evidenced a lot of these slush fields. Enough to cripple a few wheelers I witnessed and even bog down a slow moving sled. There is a solid 10 inches of ice underneath, but unfortunately there is an equal thickness of white ice and soft snow above it to turn into a slush field. The overnight cold may have tightened up some of those slush fields, but don’t count on it. Be safe out there and have a good time.

Boggey

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #205 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:44 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Jim. Nothing better than all those smiles to show your story on the ice. I'll give you a shout this weekend.
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #206 on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:06 PM »
New Old Guy...Kracken...

Was going to come up this weekend - and I still might...but a pond near my home here in the southern tier that has been frequented by kids playing hockey was suddenly awash in slush and water yesterday.

I made the same observation this morning - that the cold temps might've firmed her up a tiche - but it could also be a crusty top but slushy and wet underneath.

Please keep us posted on Pond condition(s)...looks like warming trend after this weekend (at least here, anyway).

Fished Lake of the Isles 2 weeks ago and Chaumont (3 mile) last Friday.  Bite was slow slow slow - some cutters - only 1 jumbo.  And 1 nice Chain Pickerel on an ultra ultra light perch rig...fun battle.

Watched him on my Aqua-Vu for over 40 minutes - no kidding - he just sat there suspended 2" off the bottom - looking and not taking.  I just about bounced the rattle spoon off of his head.  Gave up after 30 minutes and gave the hole to my buddy - 10 minutes later he had him on the ice.  It was my buddys first time ice fishing - so - BONUS!

Would like to come up - but I also like dry feet when I'm fishing - I'm funny like that.

Gots to get me one of them white perch like The Kracken did ...!!!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Much as I described yesterday. Those slush fields did not heal overnight. In fact we’re far worse than yesterday. Although we managed to get out and cut a few holes, the slush soon consumed the entire shanty area. It made it difficult to keep the feet dry. Impossible for the grandkids and we soon took them back to camp. Sad, as it was a beautiful sunny day. Bite was very very light as well making it an easy decision to high tale it back to camp for some snow tunnel making along the driveway.

Yo Arkangle, all you surmised is true. Warmer temperatures forecast reeks of ill foreboding. Going north tomorrow.

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #208 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:59 PM »
i hear tell it is  excellent  snow man making  and  snow ball  fight time boggy ....enjoy yourself my friend

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:40 PM »
i hear tell it is  excellent  snow man making  and  snow ball  fight time boggy ....enjoy yourself my friend

You got that straight Trap. I think “tubing “ @ Dry Hill is in order. ;D ;D ;D

Boggey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.