New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131637 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #540 on: Feb 11, 2022, 05:07 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Got out today to my new honey hole . Top secret location.😁 I was pleasantly surprised the ice conditions did not deteriorate as much as I envisioned. Despite the overnight warm temperatures and the high temps during the day, the top slush ice was minimal. 4 wheelers and snowmobiles were navigating the ice with little problem. The worst areas are the access ramps, but they are passible.

The walkers and pail sitters shouldn’t fare too bad either. The snow cover has turned granular and is not too thick. I would say the Boggey trudge factor tomorrow morning should be 3 to 4 pending on night time temperatures.

I’m signed up for that Sandy Creek Fire Dept fishing derby tomorrow. I hope to see some of my friends on the ice and at the awards and raffle drawing. Good luck to all.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #541 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:14 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

First and foremost, it was windy out there today. Gusts had to be over 50 mph. Second, as predicted, the Pond was a slosh fest (combination of slush and standing water, slosh)

Morning temperatures were still in the upper 30’s at day break, but cooled as the day progressed. 25 degrees when I left the ice at 12:30pm. Wheelers had a tougher time than sleds, but both labored heavily through the slosh. Walkers were met with a Boggey trudge factor of (6) most of the day turning to an (8) getting off the ice.

The Sandy Creek Fire Deptarent, despite the ill weather conditions had a very good turn out. A lot of tough men and women braved the extreme elements in order to make it a success. Pictures of the event are posted on Facebook. I took a picture of the winning entries.

The good times were marred by pails, shanties and any fishing paraphernalia not tied down blowing across the Pond. Many a disgruntled fisherman or fisherwoman was seen chasing said items the length of the Pond, South to North.

It was a hardy lot who stayed out on the ice and persevered the tortuous weather conditions. Wish I could say I was one of them, not. Old Boggey  canned it in by noon and went back to the warmth of the propane fireplace to await the awards and taffy at 4:30.

Old Boggey did make the awards and was lucky to take 3rd place in the adult pike category. I was running second place till my Bud Nipper sauntered in and bested me by an inch. It was a Derby to be remembered if nothing else for the harsh weather conditions all had to endure. Thanks to the Sandy Creek Fire Department for a well run derby despite the bad weather conditions.

Boggey

Third place pike taken by small jigging rod w/ 4# test line. Took 20 minutes of patience and an assist from fishing bud (Jigger) to lay him on the ice.
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #542 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:26 PM »
thats a fatty northern  ole boy!  good job!

Offline dumouc56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #543 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Nice pike! Hopefully the slush won’t be as bad tomorrow!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #544 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:13 AM »
Congratulations Jim great job battling that pike glad to help you,I left a little after 10 the wind was brutal.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #545 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:55 AM »
Congratulations on third place Jim!

I hate that I missed the tourney but did not miss the water, slush and wind. 

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #546 on: Feb 13, 2022, 05:51 AM »

Congrats OLD GUY at the POND

Yo Guys & Gals

First and foremost, it was windy out there today. Gusts had to be over 50 mph. Second, as predicted, the Pond was a slosh fest (combination of slush and standing water, slosh)

Morning temperatures were still in the upper 30’s at day break, but cooled as the day progressed. 25 degrees when I left the ice at 12:30pm. Wheelers had a tougher time than sleds, but both labored heavily through the slosh. Walkers were met with a Boggey trudge factor of (6) most of the day turning to an (8) getting off the ice.

The Sandy Creek Fire Deptarent, despite the ill weather conditions had a very good turn out. A lot of tough men and women braved the extreme elements in order to make it a success. Pictures of the event are posted on Facebook. I took a picture of the winning entries.

The good times were marred by pails, shanties and any fishing paraphernalia not tied down blowing across the Pond. Many a disgruntled fisherman or fisherwoman was seen chasing said items the length of the Pond, South to North.

It was a hardy lot who stayed out on the ice and persevered the tortuous weather conditions. Wish I could say I was one of them, not. Old Boggey  canned it in by noon and went back to the warmth of the propane fireplace to await the awards and taffy at 4:30.

Old Boggey did make the awards and was lucky to take 3rd place in the adult pike category. I was running second place till my Bud Nipper sauntered in and bested me by an inch. It was a Derby to be remembered if nothing else for the harsh weather conditions all had to endure. Thanks to the Sandy Creek Fire Department for a well run derby despite the bad weather conditions.

Boggey

Third place pike taken by small jigging rod w/ 4# test line. Took 20 minutes of patience and an assist from fishing bud (Jigger) to lay him on the ice.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #547 on: Feb 13, 2022, 06:22 AM »
Yo Jim nice job..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Sawmill man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #548 on: Feb 13, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Nice fish you boys are eatin good on the pond 👍

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #549 on: Feb 14, 2022, 06:36 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

You should have seen the Pond at 3:30 pm yesterday. A total of (3) shanties. Too bad as the cold has healed our ice mat.

Short & sweet ice conditions report. The Boggey Trudge report is (1) if you wear your cleats and (10) if you don’t.

Hope to see some of my good friends out there today. Just a note about Saturday’s high wind conditions. This old geezer, who fancies himself as tough as nails, left the ice early. Many of my buds did the same. Leaving the ice well before noon.

Fishing next to my neighbor Larue , I witnessed her watching her shanty flip and sliding across the Pond toward her farm. Then getting back to her fishing hole, her pail takes flight and she chases it half way across the Pond. Unperturbed she returns to her fishing spot and sets up on her honey hole again. When I left the ice along with many of my (tough) fishing buddies, I witnessed the really tough Larue  patiently sitting on her bucket holding down the fort for her kids and grand kids.

Hope you all realize, I have daughters grand daughters and great grand daughters. Hence, I will always be privileged to set my shanty or pail next to the indomitable Larue. 🎩 off to the Gals.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #550 on: Feb 14, 2022, 06:56 AM »
N.O.G....(Jim)...

I was honored to have raised kids that we introduced to ice fishing early in their lives.

Pictures of them Ice fishing - along with my wife - adorn our home to this day.

Sadly - they have all moved away and live in Florida (not my wife - she didn't have the good sense to follow them  ;) ;) ;) )

Point is...I am envious of anyone who can "take a kid fishing" - especially if it is your own grandchild(ren).

As I've related in many a post(s)...it was my grandfather who introduced me to:

Trout Fishing
Ice Fishing
Small and big game hunting
Camping
Boating

,,,and there isn't a single piece of my present-day equipment that doesn't have my grandfather's fingerprints on it.

So Jim...you keep fishing with the neighbors, kids, grandchildren and great grandchildren...they WILL remember these days the rest of their lives.  And after having fished with you I know you to be patient and kind - like most good Dads and grandfathers are - and the singular criteria to be a good teacher.

I know you know this...just wanted to re-inforce.

dad's and Grandpa's...take your kids fishin'

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #551 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:29 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Just a quick reminder, the Sandy Pond Sportsmen’s Club has their 2 day fishing derby this weekend. Truly a great derby for the entire family, kids, moms, dads , grandmas and grandpas as well. Hope to see all my homies out there.

Also Ami’s Eddies Cove restaurant is holding there derby concurrent with the Sportsmen's Club Derby. Fish fry to follow. Double register and get twice the prize money. Good luck to all. Will post conditions tomorrow.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #552 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:39 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Did a quick check on all the ramp accesses last evening. 43 degrees when I checked. All ramps were holding up at that time. The temps this morning is 48 degrees. I’m on the ice today with my good buddy StellaDog. We aim to reduce the perch population by a lot before all you amateurs get out this weekend.😁😁😁

I will write a report this evening on conditions we observed and who got the dollar for (first fish over 8”s) 😀

Keep in mind with the heavy rain , ice melt and creek flows the situation is fluid,🤪 I had to throw that one in.

Conditions may and will deteriorate quickly. Up date this
evening.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #553 on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:13 AM »
Mr. Jim...

Looking (forward?) to your update on ramp(s) and "fluid" conditions on Pond this afternoon / evening.

Here we go again - the weekend warrior may be forced to sit this one out.  Crossing my fingers but it doesn't look good.

Good luck today with StellaDog...my money is on you winning the "first cutter fish sweepstakes".

Oh, btw...saw a Robin this morning. :o :( >:(

~Arkangel

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #554 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:17 PM »
Hey Jim, glad I caught up with you Saturday, not so glad about the conditions.  Not a nice day.  My group stayed a bit longer after you left but the bite was just not impressive enough to keep us out there in the wet and wind.  Figures, considering that my youngest daughter, now 19, decided this would be the weekend to join Ol' dad on the ice like the good old days.  She did her best and brought in a few but dad didn't even attempt to put the shanty up in that wind.   ::)
I saw the runaway shanty blowing across the ice and not seeing anyone chasing, I hopped on my sled to chase it down.  I was met at the tumbling shanty by a young guy on a 4 wheeler who must've been your friend Laures' son.  We made our introductions,  folded it up the best we could under the conditions and he towed it back in to shore for another day. As I sit here in Rochester looking at the thermometer, the rain and the blowing flag, I am afraid what the future will bring for the weekends ice.  Bogey, I'll probably give you a shout tonight, be careful out there! 
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #555 on: Feb 17, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Yo ArkAngel

I’m sad to say, Stelladog and I arrived on the ice at different times and therefore we didn’t get a chance to make our customary bet. That was a good thing for him as I would have smoked him anyway.😀

It was a good bite day, although we had to sort through a ton of dinks. Old Boggey got 25, enough for 2 bags. caught one pickerel, one pike and one sucker as well.

Yo Stu, yup it was a windy day and glad you and Nate were able to wrestle that wild runaway shanty and bring it to bay.👍😁 . I hope you and ArkAngel reconsider and enter the Sandy Pond Sportsman’s Derby, so there is a bigger pot for me to win. 👍👍👍

As I promised, the ice conditions report. Surprisingly the ice is holding up well. It takes 32 revolutions of my Nils to cut through the ice and my Nils is cutting through the ice like it was bitter. I only cut 4 holes all day. I used yesterday’s holes for the most part as night time temps never got colder than 43 degrees. A lot of those previously cut holes turned to drain holes and have become gapingly large. Beware!

I didn’t check all the access ramps, just mine at Blind Creek. The ice is starting to recede from the shore line a little,but at 4:00pm was still accessible. This is attributed to the rising water elevation more than melting. The Boggey trudge factor was (1) with your cleats or creepers and a slippery (10) with out them. Stay safe and wear them my friends.

Probably won’t fish tomorrow, but will try to make the rounds to check the access ramps for this weekend’s Sportsmen’s Derby. Hope to see some of you tough guys gals & kids out there.

Boggey

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #556 on: Feb 18, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Yo Boggey...

Still on the fence for a north country excursion this weekend...I am bolstered by the fact that as of last night conditions held up pretty well..(?)

But the reality of rising water levels...idk...we shall see.

Just found out that the Whitney Point Reservoir "Crappy Derby" HAS BEEN CANCELLED...that eliminates a local option here in the Southern Tier.

Immensely interested in any updates on the Pond.

~ArkAngel

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #557 on: Feb 18, 2022, 03:27 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

A quick check on the State Boat launch (ramp) and the ramp access at wigwam shows last nights temperatures and the continuing daytime temperatures have hardened the previous days slush. 4 wheelers and sleds had no problem accessing the Pond. Although we had 4 inches of new snow this morning, it was very dry and light. Many shanties out there today getting set for the Big Sandy Pond Sportsmen’s Derby this weekend.

Walkers should not have a hard time tomorrow either although I can’t predict how the wind will drift the new fallen snow. I hope to see you all at the awards  ceremony.

Also remind you Ami’s Eddies Cove Restaurant is holding her fishing Derby this weekend Saturday & Sunday. One big lunker could bring all the money home with them👍👍👍

Good luck to all contestants and make sure you bring your ice anchors and cleats. Any questions PM me

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #558 on: Feb 18, 2022, 04:44 PM »
Good luck Buddy hope you get some derby winners,I have to stay away as surgery is coming up Wednesday and can’t take any chances.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #559 on: Feb 18, 2022, 06:18 PM »
Yo Jigger

Probably best you don’t get out on the ice and hurt yourself before the surgery my friend. I will keep you in my prayers and hope for a quick recovery too. Not to worry, Stu is fishing an ear shot away from my honey hole and will help me get one of them big slime logs through the ice if need be. I up graded to a 6# test on my jigging  pole. That last pike stretched the 4# test so bad that it curls up on itself when unweighted.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #560 on: Feb 19, 2022, 08:54 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
This is real time chaos. Just got blown off the Pond. Wicked gusting winds accompanied by complete white out.
In my haste to get off the Pond , I lost my baitpail ,poles and a crate with all my possibles in it.

Tried to go back out to find them , but wind and cutting snow were too much for me. Somewhere between Sebor shores and Blind Creek access ramp if anyone finds my bucket poles and lure box would greatly appreciate it.

I will go back out if the visibility gets better. Could be a very expensive outing for the old guy.
Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #561 on: Feb 19, 2022, 09:14 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
This is real time chaos. Just got blown off the Pond. Wicked gusting winds accompanied by complete white out.
In my haste to get off the Pond , I lost my baitpail ,poles and a crate with all my possibles in it.

Tried to go back out to find them , but wind and cutting snow were too much for me. Somewhere between Sebor shores and Blind Creek access ramp if anyone finds my bucket poles and lure box would greatly appreciate it.

I will go back out if the visibility gets better. Could be a very expensive outing for the old guy.
Boggey

let us know  how you make out ole  boy  ...... sure  hope it works out for you

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #562 on: Feb 19, 2022, 09:24 AM »
let us know  how you make out ole  boy  ...... sure  hope it works out for you
X2

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #563 on: Feb 19, 2022, 09:24 AM »
That’s to bad Jim.   Let me know I have extra stuff you can have.  Might not be as nice as yours but will work..
 Sure hope you find your stuff…

PS ….  That’s why I have my name and phone number on everything… ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #564 on: Feb 19, 2022, 09:37 AM »
Yikes, that really stinks Jim.  That happened to me on Sandy Ponds during late ice season many years ago.  A 50 mph wind came up quickly, the ice was wet and slick.  Everyone got blown off, lost a bunch of stuff.  I also would like to help replace anything you need.  You have been very helpful to me, let me return the favor.  That front came through Oswego too, nasty it was.  Drop me a line or give me a call, I make deliveries!   Above all be careful Jim.  Pat

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #565 on: Feb 19, 2022, 10:11 AM »
That stinks boggey. Hope the visibility improve and you find most of the important things.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #566 on: Feb 19, 2022, 10:13 AM »
Yo Guys,

Thanks for all the concern. Tried to go back out. Too much wind and snow still. My bud Stu came by to help. We just can’t get back out. Can’t see your hand in front of you. The last hole I cut was in front of Cove Road ramp 1/4 mile out from shore. Still had all my geer at that point. Poles and fish should still be in the pail . It had a top on the pail with a cut out for the poles.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #567 on: Feb 19, 2022, 11:04 AM »
Sorry to hear this Jim I hope you get your stuff back, if you need anything I have lots of extras as I'm done this year

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #568 on: Feb 19, 2022, 12:44 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

At 1:30 it is even worse if you can imagine that. Did you ever have one of those days when you should have stayed in bed. Not metaphorically speaking. Really, should have pulled the covers over my head and slept in.

All is not lost. Got back to camp. Got to spend some time with my buddy Stu and we had a coffee and shared a few war stories. Couldn’t talk him into staying for a game of cribbage though.

Already went down to Woodies (Karen’s now) and bought a new jigging rod and reel. Let the healing process begin.👍👍👍

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #569 on: Feb 19, 2022, 01:35 PM »
I'm right around the corner and have plenty buddy, with extra caty jigs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.