New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131625 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #510 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:56 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

The temps and conditions were perfect for our trip to Oneida this morning. I will day after yesterday’s disappointing hunt for the monster walleye at Chaumont fell through, it was increasingly important for me to find a walleye or two for Big Buck to take back to PA with him. My fishing buds, Vern and Craig made a virtual promise he “could “do so at there fav honey hole at Oneida.

The day started out slow but by noon, BigBuck had accumulated some nice Perch

Fine and Dandy but still no walleye. BigBuck soldered on catching only two shorts by the time (2:00pm)he had to leave for PA.

We all, Vern, Craig and i sadly said our good byes knowing how disappointed we were he left without the “virtually” promised walleye.

Not more than 10 minutes after BigBuck had departed Craig brought a nice 16” eater through the ice , quickly followed by a nice 19 inch walleye.

As the day progressed our motley crew managed 3 more 16 inch eaters and 5 more fat belly Oneida perch. So you got to know, old Boggey had to send pictures to the beleaguered and disappointed BigBuck to show him the much ballyhooed “virtually “ promised walleye he had narrowly missed taking back to PA with him. 😀

Not to worry BigBuck, we three made a solemn 😁promise to clean bag and freeze them virtually promised walleye for your next trip up to the Empire State my friend.

Boggey

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #511 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:08 AM »
Boggey...

Nice bunch of stripers!

Too bad BigBuck had to leave us with no Wally's ... you can't say you didn't try..!  You burned some fuel these last few days.

But richer for the experience and some very respectable perch!

Looking forward to Sandy Pond post storm trudge report

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #512 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:22 AM »

Nice

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #513 on: Feb 03, 2022, 03:17 PM »
Yo Arkangle

Yes we did cover some ground or I should say ice this week so far. I’m going to stay closer to home the remainder of the week. My good fishing bud, “Stella dog” trailered my sled up from Fulton and now I can scour the far reaches of the Pond chasing them stripers.

Yo Freddy we got the Mad River Club fishing Derby this week end. Are you going to make it up? Depends how much snow lays on the Pond and how cold it is. It will surely be a survival of the fittest marathon me thinks.

Cooking up a big pot of venison stew for the day. Hope to see some of my friends Saturday.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #514 on: Feb 04, 2022, 07:43 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Derby this week end . Registration @ Sandy Pond Sportsman’s club . Pre register today or tomorrow starting at 6:00am. Great derby for the kids.
At this writing 8:30 , the monster snow event has not lived up to its big hype. We got about 3” of that light whispy stuff that the wind can still whip around and will build up and drift on the east and south shore ramps.

Yesterday there was some slush as I said along the shore line and areas heavily fished , the water rising over the ice will turn that area to slush. I will report later today the significance of the newly fallen snow, however, even after Wednesday’s warm temps we still have some great dark ice underneath that white stuff.

I will make the rounds today and make a more thorough conditions report at your fav ramp or access.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #515 on: Feb 04, 2022, 10:37 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Here’s the skinny. Much as I have described at my own access ramp. The newly fallen snow has drifted heavily toward the shoreline at the Elms and the Wig-Wam ramps. Maybe 12 to 14 inches deep. About 30 yards out the snow has accumulated in occasionally 3 to 5 inch drifts with a few bare spots the wind has blown clear.

The newly fallen snow has covered the recently thawed slush cover and has insulated it enough to keep it from crusting.
While the noon temps are showing 19 degrees here on the Pond, at this time it is not crusting that layer of slush. Tonight and tomorrow’s night time temperatures  are projected to be sub-zero which may or may not reach that layer of slush to tighten it up for 4-wheeler traffic. As an old 4 wheeler owner, I have many bad memories of settling through that upper crust and getting back to the ramp as the conditions warmed through the day. So in short, be warned.

The parking lot wasn’t plowed at the Elms. Plenty of parking at Green Point and the State Ramp at Stanley Drive. I cut holes at the Wig-Wam, Stanley and Green Point. Every hole I witnessed 3 to 4 inches of that slush ice over 12 inches of dark ice.

Last note, the ramp at the Wig-wam is an ice skating rink on a slope. Be sure to have your cleats on. It’s windy out there today. Let the wind and the cold night temps perform their magic. The Boggey trudge factor today is about an (8) on a scale of one to ten. (1) being nice clear ice and (10) being the blizzard of 1966. Good luck with the Derby tomorrow.

Boggey

Offline stas60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #516 on: Feb 04, 2022, 02:11 PM »
Thanks for your updates. I'm gonna try to get up there next week. Tomorrow we're heading to Oneida. Hopefully we'll get on a few perch and a couple waldo's if we're lucky. Last couple trips haven't been too productive. I figure the pond is gonna be busy this weekend with the tourney.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #517 on: Feb 04, 2022, 05:40 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Got out this afternoon for a couple hours. The snow mobile stayed on top of the snow. No problem. Saw 4 wheeler tracks out of Blind creek. Entered the ice , struggled to turn around and got back off the ice. Busted through the snow drifts and the slush ice underneath.

My first trip out on the machine this winter. Just in time for tomorrow’s derby. Caught a dozen nice perch and brought a toothy 28 inch slime log through the ice as well. The snow continued through out the afternoon dropping another 3”s of that blowing white stuff.

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #518 on: Feb 05, 2022, 04:01 AM »
Glad you have your machine buddy,now you can get out there and find some more honey holes

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #519 on: Feb 05, 2022, 05:05 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Got out this afternoon for a couple hours. The snow mobile stayed on top of the snow. No problem. Saw 4 wheeler tracks out of Blind creek. Entered the ice , struggled to turn around and got back off the ice. Busted through the snow drifts and the slush ice underneath.

My first trip out on the machine this winter. Just in time for tomorrow’s derby. Caught a dozen nice perch and brought a toothy 28 inch slime log through the ice as well. The snow continued through out the afternoon dropping another 3”s of that blowing white stuff.

Boggey

get them trails going out there for us walkers boggy ..... and fillet those slim logs   ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #520 on: Feb 05, 2022, 06:33 AM »
Nice one Jim..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #521 on: Feb 05, 2022, 07:44 AM »

Sorry Jim I won’t be able to make it

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #522 on: Feb 05, 2022, 04:21 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

The Mad River club had a very well attended Derby. Though the started out 8 degrees, the sun was out, the sky was blue and a very light breeze.

Sorry, the acoustics were lousy at awards. Didn’t hear the winning lengths. My neighbor Larue did win the largest perch with a length of 12-7/8 lunches
I did get a picture of all the winners. Sorry I couldn’t get all the names. Congrats to all the winners.

Boggey

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #523 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:14 AM »

Congrats to the winners ,also to all  participants

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #524 on: Feb 06, 2022, 06:17 AM »
Sounds like fun for all..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #525 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Great ice out there this morning. Brought family out and parked them on the “honey hole”. Day of rest for the old guy.
Boggey

Offline dumouc56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #526 on: Feb 06, 2022, 08:36 AM »
First time posting but really enjoying the stories. How are the conditions this morning? I’ll be walking and bringing the kiddos. Yay or nay?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #527 on: Feb 06, 2022, 09:11 AM »
First time posting but really enjoying the stories. How are the conditions this morning? I’ll be walking and bringing the kiddos. Yay or nay?
In short, yay. Check your private message.

Boggey

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #528 on: Feb 06, 2022, 02:21 PM »
Sounds like a great day was had for that tourney, Boggey!! Congrats to the folks who participated. 😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #529 on: Feb 07, 2022, 06:49 AM »
Boggey...

Great pics of contestant winners - thank you.

Also enjoyed pic of 28" Northern...I know you're not a tip up guy so that must've been a heck of a battle with the jigging rod and 4/6# test.

Cudos!!!

Annie and I are fresh back from Clayton - attended NYSP fundraiser for our Troops at Fire and Ice Festival.  They do a heck of a job and of course it's all for a great cause.

Back to fishing...hope this week's warmer weather and precip isn't terribly impactful on dragging conditions.

What's your current Drudge Report?  ;D

~ArkAngel

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #530 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:27 AM »
Yo ArkAngel

It was a beautiful day yesterday even though the high winds picked up in the pm. 25 degree temps maintained the ice conditions. I did not Fish Sunday but did drag out some family members to my “honey hole” and picked them up when the wind got to be too much for them. Still some drifted snow on top of 13+inches of hard stuff.

Were I a walker yesterday I would give it  (5) on the Boggey trudge scale. Sled was the way to go.

Yup ArkAngel, had I caught that slime log one day later I would have been in the money. Timing is everything eh? Got to fish with my good friend Stu on Saturday. Unfortunately he dropped his auger through the hole when it came loose from his Dewalt hand Drill. We tried to fish it back out with a 40# lift capacity magnet with no luck. Wish I had a better story to share with you.

All for now, I pray the 30 degree temps today and tomorrow do not soften our upper crust and turn it into a slush field for this weekends Sandy Creek Fire Department Derby on Saturday. I tried to get a flyer to post on this page, no luck. Maybe someone from the Fire Department can get one to me to post.

Boggey

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #531 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:47 AM »
Found this ion their Facebook page

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #532 on: Feb 07, 2022, 04:45 PM »
 Thanks ActiveTrapChecker.

I hope to see a good turnout. Support our local fire department AND have a fun time doing it.

Got out after lunch for a couple hours. Did a shanty count @ 12:30. 39 shanties and multiple pail sitters on the North Pond. The top crust held up even though the temps topped out at 39 degrees. Saw lots of sleds and 4 wheelers. All stayed on top. We need the night time temps to heal that top crust overnight. Sunny afternoon, great to be out.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #533 on: Feb 09, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals
The ramp at my residence (Blind Creek)was already rutted and deep in slush at 11am when I got on the ice. Once out on the ice the 3”s of snow cover from the previous day had compressed to 2”s and was easily negotiable by snow mobile and 4 wheeler.

Getting off the ice was not that easy. The ramp was very deep with slush and rutted from wheelers. The Boggey trudge factor for walkers was (3).

Was a good bite day. Diminished the perch population in the Pond by 30. Without freezing temps tonight, I’m not too excited about tomorrow’s conditions. I will make the rounds tomorrow and report on the other points of access. Think cold if we are to tighten things up for the weekend.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #534 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Just got through making the rounds, checking on ice conditions particularly at the points of access. Keep in mind overnight temps were 38 degrees. A little drop this am to 36 and now at noon, 38 degrees with rain we didn’t get a whole lot of cooling to tighten up our soft snow cover on the Pond. In fact none.

The worst point of access I saw was The Elms. At 10am this morning i saw about a foot of slush with deep wheel ruts.

The State boat ramp at Stanley Drive was in good shape at 10:15 this morning.

Green Point Marina had good smooth access and little to no slush cover.

The Wig-Wam had started to soften a bit , but was still holding up at 10:30 this morning.

While yesterday’s fresh snow is condensing it is not a hard pull for walkers. Keep in mind, temps this afternoon and through Saturday show little opportunity to tighten up the slush. On the other hand, a lot of that slush may be reduced to water. “Just sayin”.

Don’t forget the Sandy Creek Fire Dept. Derby on Saturday. They got some great prizes for their raffles. Heck, I could use a new shanty.👍👍😀

Regardless, we still have some great hard ice under that snow and slush. I am still cutting 11”s+ most places. All for now. PM me if you have questions.
Boggey

The Elms

Green Point

Wigwam

Post Script: Boggey Trudge factor today is (4)

Offline Sawmill man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #535 on: Feb 10, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for the update much apprciated

Offline robw20

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #536 on: Feb 10, 2022, 12:48 PM »
Thanks for the updated - it’s greatly appreciated !

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #537 on: Feb 10, 2022, 08:31 PM »
Hey Jim I'll be at the SCFD derby with my wife hope to see you there!

Offline rippem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #538 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:29 AM »
Just wondering what's been a good depth for perch on the pond over the last week or so. Taking my 72 year old dad out and I really wanna get him on a few. We tried the GP side twice and caught almost nothing in 9-10 feet.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #539 on: Feb 11, 2022, 04:47 PM »
Hey Jim I'll be at the SCFD derby with my wife hope to see you there!

Yo Oby,
Nice to hear from you. Yup, I will see you at the awards and raffle drawing. I already purchased 2 raffle tickets at the Sandy Creek Bait & Tackle shop. Sure got my eye on that Shanty. Me and about 200 other people eh?

Boggey

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.