New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 132831 times)

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #420 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:54 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM !!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #421 on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:19 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Be safe today....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline orngcrush17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing better than fishing memories
« Reply #422 on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Happy Birthday Jim!!!
Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime.... take your kid fishing and never stop smiling.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #423 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:07 AM »
Yo Boggey,

GOONS always show up just to show off on here…(goon boy)!!😁

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to You Jimmy!! Hope you have a great day!! Be safe, We’ll see you soon up there!!😎🎣🕳
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #424 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:36 AM »
jim happy  birthday  ole  boy  you  be  safe  out there yourself ....... you got  mail

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #425 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:51 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #426 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:30 AM »
Happy birthday boggey.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #427 on: Jan 08, 2022, 09:11 AM »
Happy Birthday Jim, hope your present was safe ice and a big pile of keepers.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #428 on: Jan 08, 2022, 12:10 PM »
Happy Birthday Boggy.   

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Happy Birthday!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #430 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:12 PM »

Happy birthday Jim

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #431 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:22 AM »
Happy Birthday Buddy

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #432 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:33 AM »
Thank you all.

It was a beautiful day to be out on the Pond, although it started with the thermometer continuing to drop. By 8:00 it was -3 degrees. Good news, virtually no wind and crystal blue skies.
I accessed down at the south end and the snow cover was 1 to 2 inches. First cut hole was 4-1/2 inches. Every subsequent hole measured between 4 inches and 4-1/2 inches, with the same snow cover through out my meandering on the Pond.

Covered a lot of territory. Cut a lot of holes, stopped and chatted with a lot of hardy souls . From my vantage point witnessed 13 shanties and as many pail sitters.

The bite, was virtually non existent. I didn’t bring my Marcum but talked to others who had. They were marking fish just couldn’t get them to open their mouths. High pressure and sunlight can have that effect on the bite I guess. One bright spot, my friend Kitzy brought some young fishermen out with him and one young man caught a fat belly 26 inch walleye.

Myself, I left the ice around 3 pm with only 4 perch. I’m not disheartened as I have had my share of low or no catch days on the Pond. I dragged the little jet sled easily I might add, covered over three miles, cut well over 20 holes with my newly sharpened Nils, visited with some old friends and made a few new ones, not a bad day for a fella who just celebrated being 77 years young.

Lets pray the new snow is blown off without  any heavy accumulations so our ice and access can be maintained. Stay safe out there and give us some input if you were out yesterday.
Remember, spud spud spud.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #433 on: Jan 09, 2022, 10:07 AM »
 New Old Guy-Boggey/JIM ,belated Happy Birthday wishes sounds like you fond a nice way to celebrate the day. Good job by your friend Kitzy on taking a group of young fishermen out. happy to read one of them caught a fat belied 26" walleye. thank you for doing all the reports on Sandy pond. I hope anyone in hearing range enjoyed your singing of the Elvis songs.

Steve

Offline Sawmill man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #434 on: Jan 09, 2022, 10:13 AM »
New old guy really appreciate the reports on the pond I’m about 4 hrs away and the updates help in planning trips north  and happy belated birthday  many more

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #435 on: Jan 10, 2022, 06:22 AM »
New Old Guy...Boggey...Jim.... .

One more HAPPY BIRTHDAY from a guy you never met but appreciates the Sandy Pond updates.

Heading up to Lake of the Isles on SLR next weekend - I'll keep ya posted. :tipup:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #436 on: Jan 10, 2022, 04:44 PM »

Thanks Jim

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #437 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:39 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Another deceivingly beautiful day. Beautiful blue skies with bright shining sun, belies the actual truth.  Light breeze that drives the -8 degree temperatures up your nostrils, burns your lungs with every intake of air, chills your exposed skin to an almost instant frost bite.

No matter how well one dresses to protect from the cold, there is always an exposed part that remains to be ravaged by the incessant cold.

The remedy? Don’t go out today. I’m thinking, maybe bake some bread. Good day to vacuum the rugs. Get that 500 piece puzzle out on the card table,  grab that black leather book you so often consult and find another chapter, verse you were here to for unfamiliar with.

Yup, a lot of those things you can do. Especially because I will tell you, 8 inches of newly fallen snow covered the ice last evening and night. Much more snow drifted along the eastern and north shorelines of the Pond .
Already , even with the sub zero temps a slush layer has formed belneath that 8 inch insulation blanket. Don’t see that slush layer getting much better, so here we are again, fighting the horrible drag and trudging through soft snow and slush to get to our favorite honey hole.

I got to be crazy or stupid, but you know when tomorrow comes I will be doing exactly that. For now, maybe shovel the drive a bit and wait for that first batch of bread dough to rise👍👍👍

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #438 on: Jan 11, 2022, 02:12 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

When it is this cold, you hole up in the camp, fry up one of them small bags of perch, bake some bread rolls, both to a golden brown. Eat when both are piping hot. Do you all see how that works? Get the picture?

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #439 on: Jan 11, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Looks good!  I'm out of those small bags of perch.  Come on ice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #440 on: Jan 11, 2022, 02:19 PM »

Jim I can smell them from here 👍

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #441 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:28 PM »
WE just did some fresh crappie last night      mmmm

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #442 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:42 PM »
WE just did some fresh crappie last night      mmmm
Nice 👍

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #443 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:39 AM »
  with the price of meat now
   fishing looking looking pretty good right now,
snowsnake

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #444 on: Jan 12, 2022, 03:44 AM »
 If you were to buy perch fillets they run from 15-24$ per pound

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #445 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:40 AM »
If you were to buy perch fillets they run from 15-24$ per pound

Yo Freddy
Not to mention “And they taste oh so good “ 😁
Boggey

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:43 PM »
I’ve never met a perch I didn’t like!! 😁🎣🕳
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #447 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:32 AM »
I had the opportunity to introduce myself to Boggey yesterday afternoon - and a finer man I have never met...even though it was not in person.  At a minimum we have location and interest(s) in common.  I'm looking forward to getting together on the ice on Sandy Pond after this slush stiffens up a bit.

I have a pre-arranged trip to LOTI this weekend at my brothers place on Wellesley Island...but with brutal conditions in store it might turn into more of a family reunion and football weekend - instead of fishing...we'll see.

To my fellow IS practitioners...be careful out there - and Jim...I'll be in touch
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #448 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals
Took my morning ice check around the Pond today. Checked 3 locations on the North Pond and then for the first time drove over to Green Point to see the girls and ostensibly to check the ice.

On the main Pond first steps out from the shore exhibits 6 to 8 inches of slush further exacerbated by the 4 wheeler tracks from yesterday. About 10 yards out the general ice conditions were basically the same. About 3 to 4 inches of snow over 5 to 5-1/2 inches of hard ice. The trudge was tolerable with occasional breaking through the crusty cover. Should get worse as the noon time and light misty rain continues.
No shanties or pail sitters were visible @ 7:30 am. Met a couple fishermen from Sackets Harbor coming down the ramp at the WigWam looking for crappy. I redirected them to Green Point where they followed me over as they were first timers. Shout out to Andre and Pat, hope you get some crappy.

While doing my ice check at Green Point. Stopped to talk to DJ and Ryan . They were having success with the gills and at least one nice crappy. They also had their pike tip ups set with no early success.

Personally cut 2 holes with a 5-1/2 inch and a 6 inch ice thickness. Consulting the other fishermen at Green Point they concurred, mostly 6 inches further there was scant snow cover over the hard ice making for an easier drag. There were 2 shanties and 2 pail sitters @ Green Point. Guess where Boggey is fishing the rest of the day.

Yo Arkangel

Nice conversation my new friend . Hope to cut some holes with you this season and swap a few yarns or two.
Boggey

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #449 on: Jan 13, 2022, 04:20 PM »
Thanks for the update Jim, just take it easy out there. Especially with the turn in cold weather coming in the next few days.  Sounds brutal. At least that’ll tighten things up for us.  Just keep that sled ready and running so when the time comes we’re back at it. Stay warm.

PS That bread looked pretty good, don’t forget my address. Warm bread and some jam, mmmmmmm :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.