Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Big Lake hints

<< < (4/4)

Alcanzach:
So decided to hit the lake Sunday and stay close its gonna be first time.  I have different size tube jigs and weight but just wondering how big will be to much.  I got some 4 incheers and 6 as well as some way smaller ones I'd like to use but don't want to use to big and not catch anything.

Thanks for the help! 

Alcanzach:
3 of us fished it today and everyone caught one.  2 char and one burbot. We let the char go and burbot will be dinner.  We were in 38 feet of water which I thought was a little deep but figured we try it. 

GrayJay:
I've spent this winter trying to figure out Big Lake. Studied maps, photos, etc. Every time I go out I mark a TON of fish, from minnow sized fish to smallish trout. Bigger fish come and go (which I assume are char). Always end up catching a few burbot. No char though.

Got a chance to fish with a camera this weekend. Sure enough, the char and bigger rainbows are stopping by but after a quick look they are out of there. Fishing mostly plastic jigs, sometimes spoons. Focusing on 20-30 foot shelves and point next to deeper water. Maybe a foot or two off the bottom, been trying to keep the action pretty subdued, sometimes dead sticking.

Am I doing anything wrong when it comes to trying to catch char? Any tips on things I should be doing differently? Is that just the way Big Lake goes?

Thanks for any help. Got a couple of weeks left to try and finally get a Big Lake char.

kwackkillncrew:
i know some people down size to 1-1/2" and 2" tubes when they arent getting bites. I have caught them on pink aero jigs with a plastic minnow tail off the hook. I would think fishing should start to pick up here with the warmer weather and longer days.

GrayJay:

--- Quote from: kwackkillncrew on Mar 16, 2021, 04:19 PM ---i know some people down size to 1-1/2" and 2" tubes when they arent getting bites. I have caught them on pink aero jigs with a plastic minnow tail off the hook. I would think fishing should start to pick up here with the warmer weather and longer days.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I ended up catching some char last week on smaller stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version