Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

Thoughts on crappie locations on this 23acre lake.

<< < (3/4) > >>

fishinator:
I fish a very small lake occasionally (2 acres) that is exactly like you describe. Dusk and dawn we pull them in non stop. Any other time and they disappear. Can't even mark them and its too murky for a camera. We always assumed they are just laying on bottom?

Gunflint:

--- Quote from: Agronomist_at_IA on Nov 23, 2020, 03:00 PM ---No....it would be nice to live scope it......my buddy got one a year ago....but I haven't gone with him much. Might hve to see if I can get him to go durring the day. To try.

My thought is that the fish must be scattered & suspend in the water.....then if they hear foot steps or an Šuger scatter from that spot. you'd think with a drill Šuger it wouldn't scare them though since it's not very loud.

--- End quote ---

If you check YouTube, most of the best Livescope videos are Crappies. That would be very interesting.

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: fishinator on Nov 23, 2020, 04:00 PM ---I fish a very small lake occasionally (2 acres) that is exactly like you describe. Dusk and dawn we pull them in non stop. Any other time and they disappear. Can't even mark them and its too murky for a camera. We always assumed they are just laying on bottom?

--- End quote ---

Gotta love those small farm ponds, the bad thing is any sort of fishing pressure and they are fished out.

slipperybob:
I used to fish a popular small lake similar in features and size too.  During daytime, there's nothing.  However just as night time rolls in about 6 pm and onwards to about 10 PM, the crappies show up and an occasional perch too.  However they are not in the deep basin 20' of the lake.  For some reason the forage base is more of the mud flats or next to the deeper weed line.  So the depths of about 8' to 12' are much more productive.  And it's a featureless location too.  Away from good structures or points.

hnd:
where do you normally fish it?

We have a few lakes that are like this.  the night they come alive, during the day its like what on earth.  We too have turned someof these lakes to swiss cheese. 

my guess is they just go dormant and unseen near the bottom.   

we have a lake that is a 5 acre basin with 0 structure.  you find crappies in schools.  but at night they go away and the shad come to life.  you flasher is just going bananas.  total opposite. one evening we livescoped the entire 5 acres methodically and found nothing but shad (shad move fast, easy to identify) but the next day we found schools of crappie.   no inlet to the river (usually there is but it as lower water) we have absolutely no idea where they are at night. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version