Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

hole size

<< < (5/9) > >>

whiteymalone:
I saw a 41" pulled through a 7" hole that I had drilled with my ancient blue Eskimo branded Mora auger. That pike weighed 19#. He had no trouble at all getting it up that 7" hole.

I pulled another 40 1/8", 17.5# through an 8" hole that I drilled with my Jiffy propane auger. This fish was the very first flag my girlfriend ever had. Talk about a way to start off! She fought it like a champ. It has hooked in the corner of the mouth so it couldn't come up the hole. It would have been the same story even if the hole was 10". I reached down up to my armpit and grabbed it by it's gill plate. After wrestling with it for 30 seconds or so I was able to turn it and get it up the hole.

vtcountrychamp:
Early and late season I use an 8" since the hole never freezes up. But mid season, I'll use 10" holes due to the cold. There's days the 10" hole will be an 8" in 2-3 hours and its worse walleye fishing at night in -15 to -20 degrees.

FreshwaterPhil:
8 inches fine for most pike, unless you are fishing waters with 20 lb + fish. I'd go with a 9 or 10 for those.

Tip: Polar tip ups are rated for 11 inch holes, but barely hold in a 10 inch hole, so place a stick across the hole to brace it / prevent it from going in.

For reference, this 46 inch musky I caught came through an 8 inch hole without much trouble.

And here is what a 4 lbs pike looks like next to 6 and 10 inch holes.

river_scum:
although i said 8" is fine all these fish came up 6" holes.  getting head started after long battle is the tuff part.  i use 6" on my drill 90% of the time.

if nothing else its a good song. lol

river_scum:

--- Quote from: vtcountrychamp on Jan 11, 2022, 12:50 PM ---Early and late season I use an 8" since the hole never freezes up. But mid season, I'll use 10" holes due to the cold. There's days the 10" hole will be an 8" in 2-3 hours and its worse walleye fishing at night in -15 to -20 degrees.

--- End quote ---

glad thats a problem we dont have around here. lol  only fish below 0* a dozen times or so.  and that was maybe -10 at worst.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version