Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

hole size

<< < (3/9) > >>

ICEHOLE:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Mar 12, 2020, 07:04 AM ---Mostly depends on the size of pike you're on. A four footer while not unheard of is uncommon pretty much everywhere. I've landed hundreds of pike through an 8" hole over the years and only had a handful or so that were challenging (those, save one, were muskies) and one that just wouldn't fit at all. Larger holes are nice if your average size is mid-30" and up and a real plus if you've got over 20" of ice. Downsides to bigger holes are your tipups sliding down or making a hazard to step into later. Not to mention just toting a larger drill...

--- End quote ---
can i ask what plan b was for the pike that wouldnt fit?

Knife2sharp:
10" for me and I use the black foam disks under all my tipups, even my round wooden Beaver Dams, including the large ones that cover a 10" hole. The black disks under those are slightly larger, but the foam seals better on uneven ice. Plus, with a 10" hole, you have a couple extra inches when fishing really cold weather and the holes shrink.

Esox fisherman:
8” you should be fine 10” you risk someone stepping in it

jedhead:
I'm thinking if you are targeting pike and the body of water can produce big fish, why not go with a 10 " hole. My biggest pike was 43" in early March and fat with eggs,probably around 23-25lbs, barley got it turned and up a 10 "hole. Gotta remember room for your hand and arm as well.

kasilofchrisn:
I have lost some nice Pike cuz I couldn't get their head turned up an 8-in hole.
If I could have gotten his head turned I'm sure I could have gotten the rest of him up the hole.
I have seven inch 8-in and 10 inch augers.
And there is a time and place for each of them.
Have I ever stepped in a 10-in hole? Sure but I don't blame the hole size I blame my own stupidity!  Primarily because in my case that's what it was.
I was shoveling out an area to put the ice shanty and had filled in the holes with snow and just wasn't paying enough attention.
If you know the hazard is there because you drilled the hole yourself you can't blame the hole for you stepping in it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version