Author Topic: ice shack?  (Read 5664 times)

red eyes

ice shack?
« on: Dec 12, 2002, 04:58 AM »
I was wondering if u could use one of those fold out campers as an ice shack?just put holes in the bottom. its already has the wheels 4 moving it. they have sleeping bunks already in it. and  a stove.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice shack?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2002, 05:52 AM »
Why not? I have seen lots of things converted to ice fishing shacks.

The keys are ease of getting it on the ice, room to fish, comfort, cost, heat, safety, ease of getting it off the ice.

Prioritize these any way you want and rate your options.

A pop-up camper should be easy to move on and off the ice. Used ones are relatively cheap. They should prove to be comfortable. They are probably already setup for lighting. Depending on the unit I would think you would have room to fish. You may just need to think about heating it.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2002, 06:42 AM »
Some folks here in VT use the old style campers like that. They gut them, put in bunks,stove, etc.. They use "damaged" paneling for the inside walls and put rubber roofs on them. They will last a long time.

If I did not have all of the spare lumber, I probably would have done that instead.

red eyes

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2002, 07:03 AM »
thanks for the input guys. ill think about getting a used one.depends on how much ice we get here in MA. Ill take out some heavy things so the camper will be lighter.

HARDWATER

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2002, 03:53 PM »
I've have been thinking of making something similar to this, but my idea involves a flatbed trailer that is 6' x 8' or so and then build your ice shack on it. The back door either swings open or folds down, then you drive your 4 wheeler into it. When you get to the lake unload your 4 wheeler and hook the trailer up to the bike and off you go onto the ice.
Some other added feature would be fold down bunks, tables seat etc, to keep the wind from blowing up the holes in the bottom off the house you can buy 10-12" diameter pvc pipe and slide that down through the floor and over your hole. Just an idea I've been kicking around. Tell me what yopu think.

Maybe I've got to much time on my hands!?

Steve    

Jon

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2002, 02:29 AM »
  Hardwater,  Not a bad idea with the door. As far as keeping the wind from blowing up the holes, you must know someone with a bulldozer, backhoe or truck, they will have a bunch of 5 gal. black pails around, get the amount you need, wash them out with gas, then hot soapy water, cut the bottoms off, cut the holes in the floor where you want them, they need to be 11 3/16" and when you put the pails down the holes the lip below the handle will seal the hole up, it works very well!!! " BE SAFE"

P. S. the black oil pails are more durable in extreme cold than the white ones!

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2002, 02:25 AM »
A buddy of mine used an old VW bus frame and motor to make a drivable,mobile,fish camp.Craziest contraption you've ever seen.It drives our fish cops crazy.They are convinced it should be regestered as a atv but it does'nt.Buckets in the corners work very well to keep blowing snow out of the camp!
Bubba  

fubar

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2002, 04:55 PM »
;D  I bought a slide in camper for my F250 this fall. it has two holes in the floor for ice fishing. when there is enough ice I can drive out take it off the truck and put it on the ice. Can't wait for the ice.

Offline fishydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2002, 10:35 AM »
Here in Wisconsin you see a lot of those old campers used as ice shacks.  Never been in one though.

MNwalleyeGUY

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2002, 08:10 AM »
Well here in Minnesota you see all kinds of contraptions.  I know a guy who took a sleeper
cab from a semi and made it in to a fish house.  Lots of campers pop-ups, pickup, trailers
If I didn't have the wood I would of built one out of a trailer with jacks so you can
lower it to the ice.  As for keeping blowing snow out I've seen PVC and 5 gallon pails.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.