Author Topic: Moon Phases and Walleye  (Read 5608 times)

Offline salttofresh

• IceShanty Rookie
Moon Phases and Walleye
« on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Fishing the majority of my life in salt water, I know the moon phases plays a huge roll in where fish will set up and how they will eat. I am just curious if it is the same for freshwater. What have been some of your guys experiences? Is it best between moons, full moon, moon rise, or moon set. Is it even a factor at all?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moon Phases and Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:46 PM »
I would say there is something to it but because of time off I only fish when I can. Moon rise and sets are for sure peak times on the water and on land, (wild animal movements}. Full moons are good in clear water. Stained water daytime bites are best. Water temp and bait are the next big clue then spawning times. Wind and weather, warm fronts and cold fronts. Lot's of things to consider.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2021, 11:10 PM »
I have read lots on the theories of the moon and walleye fishing. One guy said that a full moon usually increased the bite, not because of the light but because of less gravitational pull on the small zoo plankton which makes them more active, which in turn makes the minnows more active which in turn makes the walleye more active.  Also said the best bite is when the sundown and the moonrise are within an hour of each other............but can't remember the exact reason for it.

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2021, 11:58 PM »
Fishing the majority of my life in salt water, I know the moon phases plays a huge roll in where fish will set up and how they will eat. I am just curious if it is the same for freshwater. What have been some of your guys experiences? Is it best between moons, full moon, moon rise, or moon set. Is it even a factor at all?
Just thought I would put my little two cents in and share with you guys. If you choose to dive into it a little deeper this will help you. Rick Taylors Prime Times have been kicking out Calendars to help you go on the best days and times to go fishing and hunting. I have been following it for about 25 years. They have been making the calendars' for 36years.It's hard to pinpoint down to an exact time, but what I have noticed My catch rates have been higher for Northern Pike, Walleye, and Perch. For all the technology that we have been given these last few years I believe every edge can help you. I schedule all of my get away trips 3 days before a no moon or three days before a full moon. I like to call them the 6 best days of each month. I leave on Dec. 2nd to fish Lake Powell the 3rd and the 4th and come home the 5th. With my 3 Walleye Guru's. Lake Powell has so many Walleye in it they have no limit. I like my success rate to be all it can be for my friends and family. You can PM me if you have any other questions. Happy to share. Tight Lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.