Canada > Ice Fishing Alberta CA

BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS

<< < (23/23)

FreshwaterPhil:
For my style of ice fishing, I need a light, fast,  and reliable auger. I trekk on foot most of the day, and punch new holes every few minutes unless I come across a big school of decent size fish.

As long as ice is under 12 inches thick, I stick with my manual Fin bore augers, have a 6 and 8 inch model. I enjoy the hand drilling, and it's a decent steady workout. I had a Nils for thicker ice, but too unreliable, the tiniest nick in blade and the head was useless, off to Frank for sharpening :( Contrast that to the Fin bore, a couple years ago I cracked a blade, and fished rest of the day drilling with only 1 blade. Only time that's happened to me in well over a decade, and I drill hundreds of holes every season. Downside to the 8 incher is that it bogs down pretty bad in 16+ inches of ice, the 6 incher is good until 20 to 22 or so.
Here is a short clip of the 8 incher at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KrVyhFAizk

For thicker ice, I got the Ion G2 last winter. Very light, cuts through 30 inches in no time and with minimal effort. Battery did 80 hoesl into 20-22 inches last March, and that was in weather from -18C up to -11C by afternoon. Still had power when we got off the ice at dark. Blades not the best quality, the will dull and even chip with minor debris in the ice. I bought a few replacements to keep as spares, so I can change them on ice if need be. I've managed to sharpen them on my own too, but not as good as out of the box.
Here is a short clip of it at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOiNVFOfnZ8&t=1s

Lastly, I've used old gas Jiffys in the past. Simply to big and heavy for my style, only time the excelled was when we would drive out on thick ice at end of season and have 2 of us on the drill to punch a lot of holes. Didn't appreciate the pull start when motor would act up, the constant stink, and we've run into leakage in the car too.

Happy drilling :)

Shotgun:
I bit the bullet and got the Strikemaster 8" 24 volt.  Holly mackeral is it light and with the lazer mag blades it cuts I think faster than my old one with the Honda motor.

Great auger and I could not be happier.  weighs in at just under 18 lbs. 

Saw a few at the Fishn Hole last week and they were about 50 bucks less than Bass.  Bass had a few of the 40volt 10inch but they are kinda like the Ion 10"  too heavy for me.

SHOTGUN

SNAPFisher:

--- Quote from: dcmod25 on Jan 25, 2019, 01:25 PM ---i run and gun alot and fish outside 99% of the time so it is nothing for me to drill 100 holes a day thats why i run the gas power head. i can usually get around 120 holes through 18" of ice pwer tank. it would take my 2 5 amp and one of my 6 amp batteries to get that many holes with my drill set up. its just another option for people with a strikemaster power head. the k-drill bolts right up to it with no adapter needed. good luck and tight lines

--- End quote ---

Maybe change your forum name to "SwissCheese.  ;D

Uppervalley Kid:
Nils all day long

Steve_Que:
Hi Friends,

I am new to ICESHANTY and this is my first post, apologies if it is not in the right spot.  I have a Jiffy 30 (about 20 year old).  Has worked like an absolute top for all of that time without fail.  This year, the throttle lever does not seem to « oper ‘er up » like it should.  I removed and cleaned carb, was a bit gummy but now sorted.  I did not take pictures of the throttle assembly and am not 100% sure I put everything back the way it should be.  I think the governor-throttle spring may be worn as well.  I would be grateful for close of photos of the throttle lever assembly from anyone who owns one of these machines.

Grateful for the help and feel free to point elsewhere if this is not the spot.  Thanks again.

Steve (Quebec, Canada)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version