Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

At what size do you start keeping crappie?

<< < (3/9) > >>

Gills-only:
Depends on how hungry I am, usually 10"!!

Kevin23:

--- Quote from: captain54 on Jan 07, 2015, 11:56 AM ---The lake I fish has a lot of crappies 8-13 inches. I really hate people that keep small fish and play the compation game. I rather keep a dozen quality fish than 30 crappie under 10 inches.A 10.5 inch fish would be my start but have kept thick chunky 10's.Last year the crappie ran above average 11- 13 where keepers.

--- End quote ---

Keeping the 9-10" fish is usually better for a fishery than keeping just the biggest you catch because there is more meat on them...

I hate it when people criticize others for keeping 8-9" crappies but then they put an 8" male bluegill in their bucket. More meat on an 8-9in crappie and it wont hurt the fishery at all. Taking big crappie and bluegill while leaving the smaller clean-able fish will wreck a lake fast. When a crappie gets to 12-13" he is now a predator, he will eat his fill of bluegill and crappie fry each spring. Those are the fish you want to release... Its called selective harvest. I absolutely hate selfish people who only keep what they want (the breeders) instead of what is best for an ecosystem... Pulling 8-9" male gills off beds in the spring is one that comes to mind...

hnd:
it all depends one who's cleaning them. 

I'll clean 8-9" crappies but i fillet, cut the skin off and cut away the ribs i don't slice under them just cut it all away with a zip of the knife.   

but i'll be honest, i'm generally not keeping anything under 11.  not because i have an issue with people doing it, but because i don't keep alot of fish.  and even if i catch an 11" er or two, i'll throw some water int he bucket until i have at least 5 because otherwise, theya re going back in. 

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: keva on Jan 06, 2015, 05:47 PM ---I was curious how long crappie had to be before y'all considered keeping them? I have been considering chasing after some to make a good meal. Here in New York they must be 9", but I am not sure how nice the filet is from a 9" fish. So... what is everyone's opinion?

--- End quote ---

More of a slot limit ....as stated 9 in minimum ....so 10,11 an 12 ...with larger released for gene pool maintenance...but if your get a lot of a certain year class keepers ...lets say 10 inches then 11 inches and above get released ...I hope I am doing the right thing .

luckyfish:
The smaller (8" to 10") ones hold together better in the pan!
The big ones seem to fall apart.......so usually throw the 11"+
 ones back! SSometimes I'll cut the big ones in pieces! But if
I can find the good eaters than I normally throw the bigger ones
 back in the hole! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version