New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: otisco lake bs thread  (Read 179837 times)

Offline Icejunky39

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: otisco lake bs thread
« Reply #1710 on: Jan 15, 2022, 02:58 PM »
I believe you are correct. From what I read the other day they just recently closed public comments on this issue. If they go with it then it will take effect April 1st.

So they havent made the changes yet or they have? Also are they proposing 12” for Crappie for Otisco and Caz or they made that change as well?  I was given a ticket for a Crappie at 8 3/4 “ when they made the 9” rule dont want another one. Mr Head measured every fish i had lol

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1711 on: Jan 15, 2022, 03:10 PM »
So they havent made the changes yet or they have? Also are they proposing 12” for Crappie for Otisco and Caz or they made that change as well?  I was given a ticket for a Crappie at 8 3/4 “ when they made the 9” rule dont want another one. Mr Head measured every fish i had lol
I was told Officer D... Head retired. Never ever met a more miserable law enforcement person in my life. I have been checked by him several times. Never had a issue. One day we came off the north end. We saw him sitting in his car. He watched us stuff the vehicle with or gear . We were just ready to leave and he then asked for licenses  , then made us totally unload our stuff to search for short fish, nope nothing wrong there either. Reloaded and off we went only to get pulled over by him a half a mile down the road where he was happy to give my buddy a ticket for his license plate light being out! Officer of the year award goes to him.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline Icejunky39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1712 on: Jan 15, 2022, 03:24 PM »
I had an encounter with him on Oneida. I guess I wasnt coming out of my shanty fast enough when he announced himself so he flipped it over. I had just put my heater out of the way and when he did that he burned a hole in my canvas. I had some not vulgar but not cordial words to say about it so I guess he remembered me on Otisco. Lesson learned I guess lol. The ticket was legit….by 1/4”. But yeah he was miserable.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1713 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:57 PM »
i  went out on otisco a few years  ago   deep snow but i was on a trail when i  came off it had turned  in  18 inches of slush ...i have  copd  so i was struggling walk 10 foot catch my breath it was miserable  i seen a  dec officer he  yelled hand on it  was officer head  he  helped  me  pull my gear  and  even  helped  on the  hill .... when we  got to the top  he  said was it worth it and i  said  yup  i  got  27  decent gills  he  never looked said i remember you ...i thank him  ....man  really helped  me out

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1714 on: Jan 16, 2022, 09:53 AM »
I had a run in with d head once what a jerk.at least he helped u trapper.after my battle with covid and then aminia then days in the hospital dr told me I have copd I still can't take a deep breath without coughing my head off so I'll be super slow walking back n forth to .and if it's to cold forget it hurts my lungs to breath in cold air..I'll have to get Al to pull me out I'm smaller now I lost 39lbs to.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1715 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I'll give you a hand Big Guy.  :clap: :clap:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1716 on: Jan 16, 2022, 02:19 PM »
I had a run in with d head once what a jerk.at least he helped u trapper.after my battle with covid and then aminia then days in the hospital dr told me I have copd I still can't take a deep breath without coughing my head off so I'll be super slow walking back n forth to .and if it's to cold forget it hurts my lungs to breath in cold air..I'll have to get Al to pull me out I'm smaller now I lost 39lbs to.

you have  to order a  couple of these  over  the internet , they really help me  by  covering my  mouth and warming the air before i breath once your in your shanty you will be good  with a heater ......  well get ya out there  buddy no problem ......

Offline dh2028

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1717 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Any reports on how much ice at Otisco?
Wishing I was Fishing

Offline Icejunky39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1718 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:53 AM »
Trapper
Good story. Im sure the man has soft spot. As I said lesson learned. Shouldda kept my mouth shut….now I do

Anyone know if they did change the size and limits on Otisco?  Looks like still a proposal

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1719 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:03 PM »

Officer Head stop to check me out once , he was professional and courteous, but I do have an honest looking face 😃

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1720 on: Jan 18, 2022, 03:35 AM »
Officer Head stop to check me out once , he was professional and courteous, but I do have an honest looking face 😃

when it comes  to honest fisherman fred you and i are role models  for the rest of these  guys !!!!

Offline MJS73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1721 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:55 PM »
Just curious what is the largest crappie anyone has caught on Otisco? I know the DEC is talking about increasing the legal size.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1722 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:00 PM »
I went out today for a few hours and caught and released around 40 bluegills and not a single crappie. Only 9 of those ‘gills were 8” keeper size.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline MJS73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1723 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:08 PM »
So the new regs are in place and includes bluegill as well.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1724 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:33 PM »

If in doubt call the regional office or call
An officer either will be glad to answer your questions

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1725 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:23 AM »
larger  crappies i have  caught on otisco were  around  14  lot of  10's   we  fish it  in the spring as  well

Offline Icejunky39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1726 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:08 AM »
If in doubt call the regional office or call
An officer either will be glad to answer your questions

This was great advice. I spoke with an officer who connected me with Jim the DEC Biologist this morning and was told the NEW proposed regulations will NOT be in effect until at least April. This mean that the regular limits for size and quantity are still in place. Anyone who doubts this can call the regional office and ask the question for yourself. Anyone who says the new regs are in place is giving out wrong information. For anyone who doesnt know limits and size

Crappie 25/9”
Blue Gill 50.
I personally would not take 50 BG but its still legal until at least April. DEC number is 607-753-3095 if you are doubtful

Offline Squeakysteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1727 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Just curious what is the largest crappie anyone has caught on Otisco? I know the DEC is talking about increasing the legal size.

I catch them over 14 inches every year biggest being just shy of 15 on Otisco . That was on open water though. Have yet to get into a consistent hard water bite.

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1728 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:02 AM »
Anyone out on the main lake yet?
icefisherman

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1729 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:51 AM »
50 bluegills filleted is a lot less meat then 50 big perch   50 seems  like a lot but a family of 4 could make that a good dinner

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1730 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:55 PM »
3 hour drive for me and my old father, just want to target some bigger fish hopefully musky or walleyes? Any tips? Is it worth it? Pa has been slow for us and just trying to create some good memories. Pm me if you don’t wanna share info I can help with north east pa spots for panfish and such!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1731 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:52 PM »
there are big tiger muskys  the walleyes are few and far between .... tip ups and the biggest shinners you can find

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1732 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:25 PM »
3-4” of black ice under 4” of snow on the north end and a little slushy. I wouldn’t go on the main lake yet. It’s frozen over but open water in spots along the shore and lots of wet looking areas.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1733 on: Jan 19, 2022, 11:28 PM »
 Ice junky I have talked to Jim On several occasions , he’s also an avid stream trout fisherman

Offline Icejunky39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1734 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:10 AM »
Ice junky I have talked to Jim On several occasions , he’s also an avid stream trout fisherman

First time for me. He was happy to answer my questions. Just wanted to get that info out to people because it sux getting fined…especially when you think youre doing things correctly only to find out someone gave you bad info.

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1735 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:26 PM »
I saw a wheeler on the main lake today. Anyone walking from the west shore out? On the main lake
icefisherman

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #1736 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:00 AM »
Any news on Alvord, VT, or Moondance derbies yet?

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie 44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1737 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:45 AM »
Any news on Alvord, VT, or Moondance derbies yet?

Looks like Alvord House 2 man February 19th. Should be able to sign up later this week.

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie 44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1738 on: Feb 07, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Took sleds out of the park Sunday across the lake to the west side. Ride out not too bad, had to stay on it a little for the slush. There's about 6" of snow on top of an inch or 2 of slush and about 11" of ice, 7 clear, 4 of white ice. The ride back was fine as the trail froze up, and blowing snow filled it in. Walking doable. Talked to guys who iced 9 Tigers Saturday, don't know how they did Sunday. There were 8 huts on the main lake that we could see, there were 15-20 vehicles at the Dam when we were leaving around 3:00. I got one about 32", another buddy about a 25". 2 fish for 3 guys, pretty slow, but a pretty nice day out there. Pretty nice shiners from Ryfun's, although they are 2 bucks a piece. AH 2 man Derby is on for 19th, can sign up now.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1739 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:59 AM »
think i'm going to take a drive to otisco this morning , check out  some  bluegill action ....i got addicted  chasing them perch ....i didn't  get  as many  but they sure are nice .....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.