Author Topic: would it work?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline fisherfeller

• IceShanty Rookie
would it work?
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:11 PM »
would it work if i got 2.5 inch abs pipe and split it with a table saw and screwed it to my runners and used a heat gun to curve the edges up ? would this help with keeping it from freezing in and making it eaiser to pull?

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: would it work?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:37 AM »
It could work.  That stuff gets pretty brittle when it is cold.   

I would reccomend UHMW plastic for your runners.  It is the same stuff that snowmobile skies are made of now adays.  People also run it on the bottom of their airboats.  Very slippery and tough.  I would look for 1/4" thick.

Up here the rubber supply warehouses sell it.

What are you attaching it to?

Offline fisherfeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:41 AM »
2x6,runners thx for the input

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I used PVC pipe under the runners of my 2x6 skids, and they worked pretty good but I ended up putting on skis in the long run because I wanted more flotation in the heavy snow.
Here's how I mad them:  I used 2.5" PVC pipe and used my table say to rip off about 1/3 of the pipe.  The on the ends that needed to be bent I used my Dreamily with a cutoff wheel and but the last foot or so down to about 1/3 the original thickness.  I then took a robber mallet and gently pounded the pipe over the 2x6 runners. 
On the ends where I needed to bend it I used a propane torch and very gently heated up the pipe and bent it in the radius of the runner. 
I secured the PVC pipe to the runners with Sheetrock screws up near the top where they wouldn't show.
They really did work quite well, but me being one to always try to build a better mousetrap replaced them with downhill skis You can usually pick them up very cheap at a garage sale.
Here's a picture of my shanty, but not a very good picture to show the runners clearly.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Bassman4940/b5a12c67.jpg
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Ooops, must be getting tired, let me try that picture again.  ;D

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Thanks Mac!  I think it turned out well, although it's just a tad bit heaver than I had hoped for, 75#... guess I added too many of my own "refinements"!   ;D

Offline drillin n chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2005, 10:02 AM »
would it work if i got 2.5 inch abs pipe and split it with a table saw and screwed it to my runners and used a heat gun to curve the edges up ? would this help with keeping it from freezing in and making it eaiser to pull?
Go to the hardware store and get small metal stud floor brackets i think they are just under 2 inches wide by 10 feet long cost about 4 bucks cnd fit right on bottom of 2x6 and screw in the side work great.DNC

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.