New York > Ice Fishing New York

circle hooks?

<< < (2/6) > >>

cnyfishing:
I tried them last year and loved them...I had a higher percent of fish caught with them, and they were all lip hooked. Now they are the only hooks I'm putting on my tip-ups. IceGeek is right though it is hard to remember not to set the hook. I think they are a great choice  :thumbsup:

susquayugafisher:
I've been using them in Cayuga for trout for a few years now, and even a "sneaky" landlocked salmon can't get away! I've had only one fish EVER swallow a circle hook, and , believe it or not, it was a 6" bluegill.....Of, course, it was off my dock, while fishing with the kids, and the 'gills were swarming after anything that moved.  Catfishing on the Susquehanna River, they're a godsend. You don't have to worry about setting the hook when Mr. Whiskers decides to swim away with your bait!! My 12 yr old daughter only missed a few because she tried to set the hook. After all these years of fishing, it's hard not to instinctively set the hook, but it hooks itself into the corner of the mouth every time!

Andy

AugustWest:
They work great when you can't focus all your attention to the bait. Kind of like "set it and forget it"
I first started using them in the Florida Keys for Tarpon and Permit. I had the hardest time remembering not to set the hook. I had made some tip-downs last year, and they increased my hook ups by 500%. all you have to do is lift slowly and Mr. fishy is hooked in the corner of the mouth.

IceKing:
when you say you don't have to set the hook, what do you do. Say for instance I were to replace my treble hooks on my tip-ups for tiger muskies. I get a flag using a circle hook, now what? if the line is screaming out, what is the next move?

AugustWest:
All you have to do is slightly increase the tension on the line until you feel the weight of the fish and start pulling him in. The hooks are designed to catch the fish in the corner of the mouth when the tension is put on the fish. The best way to get the feel of it is to use them. Once you understand the proper tension and land the fish, you will see where the hook placement is in the fishes mouth.
Another way to understand this is to tie a circle hook on to a couple feet of line, and put the hook in your hand making a fist with a small hole where your index finger and thumb meet. If you pull straight up fast like setting the hook, the hook will not catch on your fingers. Then try pulling the hook out of your hand slowly sideways and you will see that the hook will catch your finger. Hope this helps. This is the example one of my guide friends used to explain it to me when fishing for Tarpon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version