Author Topic: Another "Is it safe to drive on the river yet" Question  (Read 1817 times)

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was thinking of heading out this weekend for the first trip of the year for me.  Wondering if it is safe to drive on the river at the Float Plane base?

I have heard some say there is 8 inches of ice, some say 12.  Wondering what the good folks here have experienced in the past couple of days.  Are you guys driving on the ice there yet?
Thanks!!
Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline walleyeslayer21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Another "Is it safe to drive on the river yet" Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:19 PM »
why drive onto the ice if you aren't sure, especially at FPB its a 200 yard walk. ??? :-\

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:23 PM »
why drive onto the ice if you aren't sure, especially at FPB its a 200 yard walk. ??? :-\

A two hundred yard walk carrying all the lumber for an 8x12 shack is a pretty long walk.

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:25 PM »
So wait a little longer to put the shack on lol Its not worth risking it. I wouldn't drive on with just a foot especially if its a river it could be a foot here and 8 inches 20 feet away.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:30 PM »
So wait a little longer to put the shack on lol Its not worth risking it. I wouldn't drive on with just a foot especially if its a river it could be a foot here and 8 inches 20 feet away.

Thanks, that is why I am asking and I appreciate your reply. I don't normally fish the river, I am usually on Wavey Creek, so it is a lot different.
That is why I am checking with the resident professionals here.

Thanks again!

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:42 PM »
I fished FPB on sunday and there were no fish there and I wasn't the only one that found that out the cold way. That being said, the ice was good but I would use a quad if I were you.
I also fished Lockport on Sunday and cought 17 sauger on very good ice. If you read the Free Press today a guy went through in Lockport but not realy through,rather over the edge, so the ice was good to drive on, just make sure you stop when you get to the locks where it is open.lol. What a loser. Lockport has only frozen over resently and yet it is around 12 inches.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I fished FPB on sunday and there were no fish there and I wasn't the only one that found that out the cold way. That being said, the ice was good but I would use a quad if I were you.
I also fished Lockport on Sunday and cought 17 sauger on very good ice. If you read the Free Press today a guy went through in Lockport but not realy through,rather over the edge, so the ice was good to drive on, just make sure you stop when you get to the locks where it is open.lol. What a loser. Lockport has only frozen over resently and yet it is around 12 inches.

Thanks Flatliner.  I read that article too.  5:00 AM, and into open water.  May have been some bad Lucky Beer.  LOL!!

Sounds like I may have to wait a bit because I don't have a quad.  Sorry to hear that you had no luck at the FPB, but you kicked butt at Lockport!

Thanks again, appreciate you taking the time.  Good luck to you!

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:11 PM »
A two hundred yard walk carrying all the lumber for an 8x12 shack is a pretty long walk.

Hey 30-30 do you still have your camper shack?

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Hey 30-30 do you still have your camper shack?

Hey Hotshack.  Yes we have that too. Good memory. Not sure when we will get that out though.  For an old clunker it sure is a nice way to ice fish.  Real heavy though.  If I was to do it all over again, I would have made a high end shack instead.  Insurance, storage and not being able to get out until there is two feet of ice is not really worth it.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Hey Hotshack.  Yes we have that too. Good memory. Not sure when we will get that out though.  For an old clunker it sure is a nice way to ice fish.  Real heavy though.  If I was to do it all over again, I would have made a high end shack instead.  Insurance, storage and not being able to get out until there is two feet of ice is not really worth it.

I agree. Sold my trailer, bought a shack, sold that one and now just using a portable until the new permie is built. The trailers are heavy and all the weight is on 2 wheels and not spread out over large skis so it is not ideal (never mind the fact that it is attached to the ball of the tow vehicle). Those trailers are always some of the last to venture out. However, lumber for an 8 by 12 shack is pretty heavy as well so personally I'd wait a bit longer, better safe than sorry!

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:31 PM »
I agree. Sold my trailer, bought a shack, sold that one and now just using a portable until the new permie is built. The trailers are heavy and all the weight is on 2 wheels and not spread out over large skis so it is not ideal (never mind the fact that it is attached to the ball of the tow vehicle). Those trailers are always some of the last to venture out. However, lumber for an 8 by 12 shack is pretty heavy as well so personally I'd wait a bit longer, better safe than sorry!

I hear ya.  I don't much like most of the portables, usually because I end up with six people and they just aren't big enough. I guess the best is to have a couple of options.  Still not convinced that I will like the river, it is so busy there now.  I like my piece and quiet.  Need to try something different every once in awhile.  I guess I miss the old days when there were only a few people stupid enough to go fishing in -30.

Have a good night and a good season, hot shack.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Have a good night and a good season, hot shack.

Thanks, you too!

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I actually have all three types of shacks,but I like the trailer the most ,use it for hunting also. As far as weight on one axle goes,as soon as the trucks are parking side by side on the ice ,I start using it.plus my permy is 11x16 so it is very heavy with a steal frame and it goes on when there is 14 inches of ice with trucks on it.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:09 PM »
I actually have all three types of shacks,but I like the trailer the most ,use it for hunting also. As far as weight on one axle goes,as soon as the trucks are parking side by side on the ice ,I start using it.plus my permy is 11x16 so it is very heavy with a steal frame and it goes on when there is 14 inches of ice with trucks on it.

Thanks flatline.  Good advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.