New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 415136 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #3150 on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:26 PM »
Fished quit a ways out just pass the marina in Mayville.  Moved 6 times from 11FOW to 19FOW.  5" of dark ice with 2" of slush and 2" of hard white crust, very little snow on top.  Broke through the crust near the shore but stayed on top further out.  One of the worst fishing days for size I have ever had. Caught so many dink perch two us us could not count fast enough.  Must have been well over 200 but only kept (12) 8" and over.  Never thought I would get sick of catching perch.  Did not even have to jig or wait for the jig to get to the bottom a lot of times. 

Offline Lindy Jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3151 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Dinks, dinks, dinks. That is all I caught there yesterday. didn't get one I would call a keeper. 10-20 at a time on the camera always there.  Where are the bigger ones?  out in 40 ft of water with the walleyes.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3152 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:17 PM »
4 to 6 inches of new snow on the ice. Drag not bad.......for me anyways.

To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3153 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Anyone been out by Dewittville area? Whites and yellows? Heard nothing bout it yet? PM me if you need to plz.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3154 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:46 PM »
We were out all day, bite was good with some keeper perch, but a lot of dinks again today.  6" of snow on top and drag was a little tough if you were off the trail.  Ice was 5" of black with 3" of white.  Slush went out from shore about 50 yds.

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3155 on: Jan 30, 2022, 11:49 AM »
I checked 10 different place and couldn’t find any 1 lb propane tanks. Finally the last place I checked has about 20 left. So if you’re looking for propane tanks for your heaters go to true valu in Lakewood. Good luck out there!

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3156 on: Feb 01, 2022, 12:54 PM »
Just an early FYI. The Mayville ice castle and winter fest runs Feb. 18, 19, 20 this year.

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3157 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:48 AM »
  So heading down to  Chat. to fish for waleyes  but not so sure the size limit there'I always thought it was 3 at 18 inch. but heard someone tell me it changed to 5 at 15 inch'.Dont want to get this wrong.You never know i might catch one LOL. Thanks

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3158 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:07 AM »
  So heading down to  Chat. to fish for waleyes  but not so sure the size limit there'I always thought it was 3 at 18 inch. but heard someone tell me it changed to 5 at 15 inch'.Dont want to get this wrong.You never know i might catch one LOL. Thanks

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3159 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:09 AM »
That's what Google says but a call to the DEC would be a good idea...

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3160 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:24 AM »
     Thank You  Ya i am good with that, now  lets see if i can ice a few. It would be a first down there

Offline Bthe3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3161 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:24 PM »
Anyone here ever get a respectable amount of keepers at Chautauqua? I've been a few times but only ever seem to catch dinks... Do the big girls even exist in fishable numbers?

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3162 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Anyone here ever get a respectable amount of keepers at Chautauqua? I've been a few times but only ever seem to catch dinks... Do the big girls even exist in fishable numbers?

They do they’re tough to find on the ice consistently without the convenience of a machine, especially with the heavy snow limiting options on foot.  But if you put the time in and move around they’re there.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3163 on: Feb 11, 2022, 04:07 PM »
Anyone know if they are still giving people tickets to park at vikings? Read it on here last year but did not actually fish there last year. Thanks

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3164 on: Feb 11, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Even on foot you have to use a run & gun approach to find bigger perch. If you don’t get them in one area get in your car and go to the next spot. More often than not fish tend to school by size. Find some good ones and stay on them. Sometimes the bigger fish may move in but you don’t want to waste your day pounding the punks. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3165 on: Feb 11, 2022, 06:14 PM »

Just my $.05 - runts on the bottom (1st foot) and the eater perch 2-3' up.  Except for Erie, I've always fished a little higher for larger perch. Their schooling by size is correct.  The smaller ones are less likely to go up.  The keepers I caught today at LP all had small gills in their stomachs.  Some say to use larger bait which probably works but fishing higher in the water column works for me.  Good luck.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3166 on: Feb 11, 2022, 08:06 PM »

Just my $.05 - runts on the bottom (1st foot) and the eater perch 2-3' up.  Except for Erie, I've always fished a little higher for larger perch. Their schooling by size is correct.  The smaller ones are less likely to go up.  The keepers I caught today at LP all had small gills in their stomachs.  Some say to use larger bait which probably works but fishing higher in the water column works for me.  Good luck.
. This is some good info. I never thought about how the perch will school by size.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3167 on: Feb 14, 2022, 05:59 PM »
     Hey  S-Trout what motel you stay in ? making a trip for a couple days looking for a place to stay.  stayed at the motel right off the 90 years ago but wondered if there was something a bit closer . tia

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3168 on: Feb 15, 2022, 05:56 AM »
Holiday motel.

We call it the Curry Castle locally

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3169 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:34 AM »
Watch where you step!!..some disgusting individual in a 1 man otter craped a log on the ice infront of everone...everyone... lot of drinks are everywhere,..including pa.

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3170 on: Feb 17, 2022, 12:19 AM »
Anyone ever patterned walleye going shallow in the evening/night on Chautauqua.  I got into them last year 3 nights in a row 4th night was a dud.  It was late Feb, March dies late season factor in starting to turn to spring pattern?  All 4 nights we set up well before dark, no fish to be seen until evening walleye started moving in a schools of 4-6 fish.  The night we didn’t find them perch were there when we set up stayed around the whole time, we were in 10 ft of water sight fishing too so it wasn’t that the perch wouldn’t let the eyes get to the bait.  Tried a few times this year with no luck.  Just curious if anyone has fished this pattern and any rhyme or reason this.  I would have assumed perch would bring eyes into feed, but clearly hasn’t been the situation.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3171 on: Feb 17, 2022, 12:09 PM »
Anyone ever patterned walleye going shallow in the evening/night on Chautauqua.  I got into them last year 3 nights in a row 4th night was a dud.  It was late Feb, March dies late season factor in starting to turn to spring pattern?  All 4 nights we set up well before dark, no fish to be seen until evening walleye started moving in a schools of 4-6 fish.  The night we didn’t find them perch were there when we set up stayed around the whole time, we were in 10 ft of water sight fishing too so it wasn’t that the perch wouldn’t let the eyes get to the bait.  Tried a few times this year with no luck.  Just curious if anyone has fished this pattern and any rhyme or reason this.  I would have assumed perch would bring eyes into feed, but clearly hasn’t been the situation.

Yes I have and do try in shallower. Last year we got into to nice perch and a few short eyes on the first break near Dville. Everyone else was walking past us going deep while were trying to be quite hitting fish.
Anyone have info on ice?
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Rippinlips89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3172 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:37 PM »
Yes I have and do try in shallower. Last year we got into to nice perch and a few short eyes on the first break near Dville. Everyone else was walking past us going deep while were trying to be quite hitting fish.
Anyone have info on ice?
Wondering same thing about ice conditions.    Was hoping to take the quad out there tomorrow

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3173 on: Feb 18, 2022, 03:44 PM »

Thought this was funny

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3174 on: Feb 18, 2022, 04:51 PM »

Thought this was funny

I needed that laugh today, hilarious. I can still hear the dude screaming hey.  :roflmao:
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3175 on: Feb 18, 2022, 05:10 PM »
LMFAO! Now that was an "OH SH*T moment!!

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3176 on: Feb 18, 2022, 09:33 PM »
One of the funniest videos I’ve seen. Glad all ok and no gear trashed but. Holy shnitz. Too many fish whistles 🤪

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3177 on: Feb 18, 2022, 11:02 PM »
Priceless!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3178 on: Feb 19, 2022, 09:07 AM »
One of the funniest videos I’ve seen. Glad all ok and no gear trashed but. Holy shnitz. Too many fish whistles 🤪

I agree. After watching that video, I clicked on some of a guy and his son catching 40" Pike in shallow water. Those are quite a hoot too.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3179 on: Feb 19, 2022, 11:58 AM »
wow what a ride. towed and have been towed in larger wooden huts on simcoe and nip. never like that!

I wonder how guys are doing on chat. with hogans tournament going on? Some wind, guys might be going on a similar ride today ::)
any info on shore ice and spots to avoid?

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.