Author Topic: Ice cutter sank on the Red  (Read 2111 times)

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice cutter sank on the Red
« on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Just heard on Global that one of the ice cutters sank near Selkirk, and is still under water.  Sounds like nobody was hurt, but the $130000 machine.
Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice cutter sank on the Red
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2010, 07:43 PM »
yes it did they are going to dive for it sunday
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 03:18 AM »
Where exactly did it go down? And I assume she went rite to the bottom?

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Just shake my head  :cookoo:  ......when are they going to stop this insanity  ???
If someone gets killed....the bureaucratic fingers will start pointing at each other.
DREDGE the bloody channel near the mouth (like they successfully did in years past) where the ice floes start piling up and backing up all that water.
Now that they have spent all that money....to save face......they can't turn back now I suppose  ::)
Just my opinion.....
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline icemanmb.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:18 PM »
i agree with u igloo. those amphibexes are the biggest waste of taxpayer dollars ever. the north red waterway maintenance is nothing but a joke and huge gongshow. makes me sick to my stomach that the 205 and 208 dredge are sitting in the slough to rot when they could be put to work. amphibexes do not work, they break down constantly.

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Where exactly did it go down? And I assume she went rite to the bottom?

Yup and the bottom is where she will sit.

Recovery crews discovered that the Red River ice is too thick to bring the bobcat back to the surface and it will now sit until all the ice melts.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2010, 11:30 PM »
Just shake my head  :cookoo:  ......when are they going to stop this insanity  ???
If someone gets killed....the bureaucratic fingers will start pointing at each other.
DREDGE the bloody channel near the mouth (like they successfully did in years past) where the ice floes start piling up and backing up all that water.
Now that they have spent all that money....to save face......they can't turn back now I suppose  ::)
Just my opinion.....

If I recall correctly, when they used to dredge the mouth the walleye fishing was better for a longer part of the season on the Red! As for the amphibex, the only good thing was my brother getting a ton of work welding that thing back together every second day!

Offline Big Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To freeze or not To freeze
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:04 AM »
apparantly it was not the amphabex that went down it was the cutter (a tracked unit) that sank and correct me if I am wrong but this unit should be remote controlled to eliminate the risk of someone going down with it.  I do agree though, they should start to dredge the mouth again. There would be many benifits to aid in multiple reasons to do it.
"Its not what you do in life, Its how you react to it"
Fishing Terms -  You can fish all you want if you can keep you wife happy.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:39 AM »
apparantly it was not the amphabex that went down it was the cutter (a tracked unit) that sank and correct me if I am wrong but this unit should be remote controlled to eliminate the risk of someone going down with it.  I do agree though, they should start to dredge the mouth again. There would be many benifits to aid in multiple reasons to do it.
Yes Big Dog...it was a remote controlled unit that sank......no lives at risk....this time.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I think the gov't should make them leave it down there for added fishing structure, sure they could come up with some program name for it.  Aquaticstructureabilit y Program then post a sign $100,000+ investment so far!!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:43 AM »
I think the gov't should make them leave it down there for added fishing structure, sure they could come up with some program name for it.  Aquaticstructureabilit y Program then post a sign $100,000+ investment so far!!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:00 AM »
I heard it sank by the bridge in selkirk. On Fri they said they were going to pull it out the next day. Now they have to wait for it to melt . Doesnt give me much faith in thier work. They said the machine had poles on it to prevent it from falling through. Still fell through. I think it is a giant waste of money. Even if they break it all up it will just jam up at the mouth. Remember people it was the Liberals who pulled the funding from the dredging. No votes from the interlake. It still piled up some years when they dredged but not like it has since they stopped.

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Aside from the colossal waste of money purchasing this and manning this equipment to do a job that mother nature takes care of every year on her own....do you think that the government will hold itself accountable for the gallons of fuel and oil that are leaking out of this every day until it is brough to the surface???

They fine people for leaving there shacks on the ice, citing littering and environmental contamination.....bit of a double standard when the shoe is on the "GOOF TROOP'S" foot.............
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:19 AM »
That's it I am going to start a $1 000 000 feasability study!!

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:42 PM »
They said the machine had poles on it to prevent it from falling through. Still fell through.

They said it fell through sideways, that's why it slid in.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Just my opinion.....

What about this theory for the government not dredging anymore!
With the mouth being shallower the water spreads through the Libau and Netley marshes to the east and west for miles. This is a positive result due to the natural filter that a wetland marsh produces. With all the pollution being released into the water system of the Red River it can be filtered so that when its tested on the lake the levels aren't as high?
It just seems a little weird that the bullrushes on the marsh I have hunted are 3 times higher, thicker bases and so thick I cant even explain! So much has changed in the last 6 years.
Anyways, just a stupid theory which I'm sure ill take some flack for????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.