Author Topic: Ice conditions on granby?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Muskiehinter

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice conditions on granby?
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:32 PM »
Hey I am new to the site, I am looking for some tips on granby,   How thick is the ice there right now, anyone been recently? If so howd you do? we are going to the tourny this weekend and we are just looking for some info... could someone direct me where to go for registration, I dont want to mess aroiund with it when i get there just like the rest of you I just want to fish    please help me out...

Offline Don In Denver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let 'em go! Let 'em grow!
Re: Ice conditions on granby?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Ice is 10"+  anid bite is slow.  Look for 45-55 FOW and get away from the crowds.  Don't know about registration.  If you are marking fish but they won't commit, downsize your bait.  So far this winter we've seen lots of fish, but triggering them has often been difficult.

Offline Muskiehinter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Have you been fishing any of the local lakes or ponds? have you been doing well, what are you doing to catch'em, I moved down here from NorthDakota and ice fishing here deffinetly seems different from there? how are you jigging any specific way or just keep it moving?  do you think jigging a wolly bugger on the ice would work as well as it does in the summer months?

Offline Don In Denver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let 'em go! Let 'em grow!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:32 AM »
I've been mostly fishing Granby for macks, with one trip to 11 Mile for trout.  I fish tiny marabous and soft plastics for the trout, tipped with a waxworm or meal worm.  Most of the time the fish want a very subtle jigging motion, or none at all.  Lake trout are different.  I catch way more fish actively moving the bait for lake trout.  Use a 2"-4" tube jig tipped with a small piece of sucker meat and fish within 18" of the bolttom.  Good electronics help.  Sometimes a Kastmaster for trout or a larger spoon for lakers will trigger fish, too.  Hope that helps.

If your thinking of fishing a wooly bugger you'll need to fish it drop shot style, with a weight below it, so you can feel the very subtle strikes.  Then tip it with a wax worm or mealie or other bait for trout.

Offline Switzersland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big City turn me loose and set me free...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Contact  Sharron at the Granby Chamber of Commerce  to sign up or just stop into Budget tackle in Granby to  register and collect your hats.
ah yeah...we caught'em on...... salmon eggs..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.