Author Topic: Skaguay  (Read 2784 times)

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Skaguay
« on: Dec 19, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Due to anticipated high winds at 11 Mile on Saturday my buddy and I hit Skaguay.  I haven't fished there in nearly 20 years so didn't know what to expect.  We setup on the south shore in 15FOW and proceeded to catch trout every 5 minutes or so.  It was fun but the fish were of no size, 10-13".  After doing this for 3 hours we headed out towards deeper water (32 FOW) in the middle and drilled a few holes.  I had a fish on the ice every 3-4 minutes or so.  So many fish that I had to go with one rod.  It was great fun watching the fish with the Vex.  They'd come up from the bottom to inspect the jig.  I'd set the slip bobber and then - whammo - they'd be on the ice and I'd be feeding the line back down the hole.  We later tried a third location and it was even hotter!!  Fishing in 20FOW I had a fish on the ice every two minutes!  We left before 3PM and still had a ton of fish on the Vex.  Hard to say how many fish we iced, how many we lost, but it was the better part of 100 fish iced.  It would have been a great day to bring out the kids and get them turned on to hardwater fishing.

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Skaguay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Skaggy is allways that way, but like you say not much for size, but usually can get a few around 16 inches.

No pike??????  There are alot of pike in there with a few big ones.

Taryall is the same way for trout all you want to catch, but small.

I was at 11mile in the wind, and it wasnt that bad, Sunday was the worst day of the weekend but still not really bad.

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:05 PM »
We were actually going for pike but didn't see any.  We setup a tipup while we were jigging on rod for trout.  We also jigged Kasty's in the morning but didn't have any takers ot inspectors.  After talking with a few Skaguay vets we learned that the better pike fishing was up near the inlet, on the southeast shores, near the weedbeds.  We did not venture that far up the reservoir.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Been there five times this season and caught tons of trout. I always have kids along so like the fast action, but I want some northern action too.  I don't own a sonar; so any suggestions on how and where to setup, etc.

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:21 PM »
Been there five times this season and caught tons of trout. I always have kids along so like the fast action, but I want some northern action too.  I don't own a sonar; so any suggestions on how and where to setup, etc.

The best area is up at the inlet, theres a big flat up there with a good channel. Without a sonar the best adavice i can give you is drill some test holes and check the depth by measuring out your line, you want to find about 10 to 12 ft.

Big spoons, and big tubes can be great jigging for pike, and of course dead suckers on a tip up. You want to fish about 2 to 3 ft off the bottom with your baits...

11 mile has been very good for pike, and some decent ones as well, no real monsters have been caught yet, but there cruising around.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:43 PM »
Basscat75,

Thanks for the info. Also, where would you go on 11 mile? I'm familiar with the lake but don't know the names of inlets, islands, etc.

Thanks,
Prairiegoat

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/12510Jonathan_Ice_Fishing-thumb.JPG

Offline colorado_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:10 AM »
For 11 Mile I'd try Stoll Mountain.  Stoll was really hot last year in 12-15FOW.  If you drive in to 11 Mile from Lake George head to the west (right) for about 3 miles and you'll see the sign for Stoll.  There's a decent pressure ridge this year and you'll want to use caution but get close to it as the ridge is forming over the 15 FOW.

Good luck!

Offline basscat75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Basscat75,

Thanks for the info. Also, where would you go on 11 mile? I'm familiar with the lake but don't know the names of inlets, islands, etc.

Thanks,
Prairiegoat

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/12510Jonathan_Ice_Fishing-thumb.JPG

Stoll is ok this year, The best area has been the bay west of Goose Island between Howbarts point and Rogers Mtn. Most of the big fish have been in about 10 ft or less, but there are good pike showing up all over the lake. Guys have caught them out in 90 ft fishing for salmon, however that is not very common but it does happen. Also the flats north of stoll mtn can be really good, but its a hell of a walk to get out there, and with the 10 inches of snow on the lake, unless you want to shed some pounds and burn some calories, i wouldnt recomend it...

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:12 PM »

Jonathan age 6 loves to go ice fishing. Here's one of his recent trout at Skaguay.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.