The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Need help choosing upgrade equipment  (Read 640 times)

Offline Jigging4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
Need help choosing upgrade equipment
« on: Dec 03, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Was going to pick a Mojo Ice rod by St Croix, trying to choose between a 24 and 28 inch rod for all around fishing, I do have an ice shanty I use. And also was looking at  reels; what size should I be looking at? 1000 or 500?.. 2000? maybe I am way off..

My style of fishing is typically for perch, bass, jigging for trout

Any advice is great

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need help choosing upgrade equipment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Great topic.

There are multiple schools of thought when it comes to gear.  It really boils down to your personal style, your target species and how you like to spend your time on the ice. Having the depth charts will help you focus on the structure.

I primarily target panfish. Depending on the day, the bite will explode or it will require  finesse and buckets of patience.  I personally like to bring 3-4 rods out that are pre-rigged the night before with different presentations: horizontal, vertical, different colors ect ,. It’s cold and unforgiving on the  open expansive waters. Heat management plays a big role on how long you can be out there. If you mark Fish and aren’t getting any strikes, I quickly reel up and grab another rod. I want to  minimize tying on different jigs if I can.

Given that info, I don’t buy high end rods. Typically I look for ultra light rods with a decent reel. I buy a rod & reel combo for $35-ish.

From there I use the mono as a backing to the reel and add a big 2lb test fluro leader, or I peel off all of the line and respool with new line. Again, it all depends on your target.

Be sure to have a variety of different jigs, tube/colors and have that flasher handy. And yeah, tight lines.
 ;)

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I don't quite understand how reel sizing works-- I'm not sure it's standard across different brands.

I mostly use Pflueger President 6925.  I think that's size 25.  They fit the ice rods very well.

I use 6930's on my summer rods.  Sometimes I end up using one for ice fishing, and they don't fit the rods as well-- on some rods the line bumps against the first guide as the reel turns.

They're kind of pricey, but they are excellent and they seem to hold up to abuse.  I had so much trouble with cheap reels breaking and ruining a fishing day, that I couldn't stand buying another cheap plastic piece of junk.  Even the reels that came with St Croix rods crapped out on me.  They ought to be ashamed to put their name on those.

I generally don't go for expensive rods because I tend to break things, but I found 3 St Croix rods on sale cheap last year.   Yeah I broke one already-- in a car door or in the flip shanty or something.

I do like to have multiple setups on hand.  I also have some cheap stiff rods, and I like them just fine.

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I don't usually buy expensive rods because when I do I usually end of breaking it somehow. I stick with inexpensive rods and have had no issues. I'm a fan of ugly sticks. I always bring with me a variety of different weight rods/line with different set ups all ready to go. Sometimes I might jig for perch and then a little later jig for trout or pike on a different rod. I have found that the reel is the most important piece. I have used cheap reels, had them break and lose some nice fish. When a big Laker is making a run, it's important to have a good reel that can withstand it. Pflueger President reels are great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.