Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93246 times)

Offline Jean doucette

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #420 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Hi dragin you should bump it. But do it early morning when it's tight. but no need to pull it off yet still have some time left. And a lot of fun to be had. We all help at the end whenever that may be. It's pretty sloppy  in spots shin deep in some places. Stay north from where all the houses were at mayhew a bunch of sloppy  spots where houses were. Follow mowbizz to the fingers and go go get em

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #421 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:54 AM »
Hi mowbizz lakertaker here.  I highly recommend not heading south at this time. That's where all the snow went and looks very nasty. Head towards launch theirs a group of buoys on the way we call it the fingers very shallow next to a steep drop off. Try it there shallow rainbows. lakers on the drop off. Also there's a White House straight off the launch. Good friend of mine set up near him. As always introduce yourself. He's a great guy lots of lakers their to. Then your right their to pull it off if need be

Thanks for the advice LT!
We'll try that instead of Cummings...going to do it this morning.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #422 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:33 PM »
The Fat Lady has left the building, as far as the bob house goes. Up most of the night trying to decide whether to bump or pull. After looking at the long range forecast and the current conditions, decided to pull her off.
Many thanks to Fishforfun, Salmonslayer, and Physco. Never would have made it without their help. Didn't have to ask for a hand they saw I needed help and jumped right in. This is what makes the Circus so special.
Again many thanks.

Ended up bending the axle on my trailer, so left the house at the lake. Brought the wheeler home, then went back and emptied out the house. Toadie is going to meet me Saturday with his trailer and we'll get everything home. Couldn't ask for a better partner or brother.

Meet Sho Biz in the parking lot, She and Mow are hanging tough with another bump.

If anyone needs a hand shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can.

Be safe and watch the ice.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #423 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Sad to see you leave Dragin. Been a fun season with you, thanks man. Hope your not done and don't forget, you have a permeant invite to upcoming events. Your now a part.....sorta like Hotel California.

Cheers man.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #424 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Thanks Jiggin, not done yet just done with the house. Looking forward to the upcoming events and with warmer weather will be fishing in the open. Stay safe.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #425 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:05 PM »
2/23/17

The good news...got a nice laker after we bumped to the area in 40 FOW off "the fingers"
The almost better news was the way the laker came...we were picking up to bump toward Wellington because the sun was making the area we were in look very sketchy with large areas that were once "open water" with many pieces of ice that froze in place...kinda like a scattered jigsaw puzzle. Where solid ice areas were white these areas were turning black quickly in the sun.
Scary to look at and walk across.
Anyway, when I picked up my last trap almost all the line was out and the flag hadn't gone up.  ???
When I started pulling line in there was "something" on the line....something very heavy!
I called out to Shobizz and told her I had something BIG on and to bring my chair because this fish wasn't coming easily...I got to the point where the fish just plain stopped coming (like it threw out an anchor) I could feel my light leader stretching and didn't want to break off the fish by horsing it.
It was uncanny how strong this fish was! I sat with the line taut for 30 minutes and was thinking I might have hooked an underwater cable or something... :o
I tried giving it some slack a few times and it took no line out...finally while giving it slack for the third time, it started to move and I was actually making headway pulling it in...holy ****e!
I was fighting it and not horsing (as much as possible) and was gaining line but nowhere near the leader yet...After some heavy resistance by the fish the line popped! Oh no!
I said wait...there's still something there and up comes a nice 20" laker! I believe a large fish had partially swallowed the laker and was holding on for dear life.
I'll never know what was down there...same thing happened to me 30 years ago on Winni...except I broke my leader on that one.
I had visions of a 25 pound laker coming up the hole!  ;D
Now for the bad news.
Upon starting to bump toward Wellington we encountered some heavy slush conditions and almost got the wheeler stuck several times on the way.
My v-bar chains were spinning and digging in 6" just trying to pull my lightweight house! We got a bit scared and like Dragin, decided to beach the house, especially with more warm weather and rain coming.
Hated to do it but had to make a decision based on how much the conditions deteriorated in just a few hours. The sun was hot and even the wind came up and was very warm...Our season is NOT over because we'll use the pop up and fish over at Cummings.
We managed to winch the house onto our trailer and I boogied home with it and got the skidoo trailer to go back and pick up Shobizz, the wheeler and all our stuff.
I hope everyone stays safe out there! I'm sure you'll be checking your houses a lot in the next few days...Good luck and Godspeed!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #426 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:56 PM »

Congrats on the laker that was and too bad about whatever wasn't.... thanks for the post and ice update.

I was considering making a run up that way tomorrow trying to get out before the rain and continued warm weather Saturday. I was thinking of getting on at Wellington but maybe I should hit Cummings instead. I'll be on-foot.. and checking as I go of course.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #427 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Looks like I'll be heading up for the weekend after all. I'm really curious/anxious to see what it'll be like on Saturday but only one way to find out!
Marking anything?

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #428 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Thanks for the updates everyone! I've been working by Paugus Bay on Winni and imagining the conditions on Newfound. 2 hours of my day is driving, so I don't find much time for ice checking.

Mowbizz, where did you beach? I just got off the phone with Lawnguy, and we're going to meet up possibly at Wellington or Wulamet on Saturday. (p.s. I love how the site thinks so many of my words are spelled wrong! lol) Maybe we'll catch up! If not then, maybe at the gathering. You can't miss me. I'll be wearing a silly hat of some sort.  :)

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Looks like I'll be heading up for the weekend after all. I'm really curious/anxious to see what it'll be like on Saturday but only one way to find out!

Last Saturday there were some guys quite a way out in front of the boat launch, but closer to shore I had 10" to the right of the launch, and some guys to the left also had about 10" they said. Not that I've been there since, but bow fishing might be an option there tomorrow.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #430 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the updates everyone! I've been working by Paugus Bay on Winni and imagining the conditions on Newfound. 2 hours of my day is driving, so I don't find much time for ice checking.

Mowbizz, where did you beach? I just got off the phone with Lawnguy, and we're going to meet up possibly at Wellington or Wulamet on Saturday. (p.s. I love how the site thinks so many of my words are spelled wrong! lol) Maybe we'll catch up! If not then, maybe at the gathering. You can't miss me. I'll be wearing a silly hat of some sort.  :)

We pulled the house off at the boat launch at Wellington. The shore is starting to deteriorate slightly with rocks showing and a little open water but not enough to stop access...yet. I do hope we get more cold weather before it ends...
Where's Wulamet? Lol
Hope to bump into you and your funny hat!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #431 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Glad to hear you got a laker Mowbizz. Certainly have put in your time. The fingers could be your new spot.

Psycho & Butterfly should be out there now, spending the weekend. They've sent pics of houses from today's check.

Most likely will have to bump the houses Sunday after fishing, get it off the holes, jacked up and tied back down.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #432 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Congrats on the laker that was and too bad about whatever wasn't.... thanks for the post and ice update.

I was considering making a run up that way tomorrow trying to get out before the rain and continued warm weather Saturday. I was thinking of getting on at Wellington but maybe I should hit Cummings instead. I'll be on-foot.. and checking as I go of course.

Thanks! Quite exciting feeling a fish so heavy you can't move it!
I'll be on foot from now on too...

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #433 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Mowbizz did the laker look as if it has been grabbed? Were there a lot of teeth marks and scrapes on it's head
?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #434 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Was the 20" laker still alive?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #435 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:10 AM »
Mowbizz did the laker look as if it has been grabbed? Were there a lot of teeth marks and scrapes on it's head
?

Not that I could see...but it did look funny like some of it's innards were coming out of the vent and it's sides seem to be caved in slightly. I couldn't detect any scrapes or teeth marks...The fish is on ice in the back of my truck...I'll look again today.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #436 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:11 AM »
Was the 20" laker still alive?

Yes, alive and kicking but the hook was buried in it's gut and I kept it to eat. Couldn't reach the hook with my pliers.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #437 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:50 PM »
2/24/2017

Got an SOS call from the Dark Side and went over this morning before work. Tippin showed up to help out too. Ended well, all is good. Glad to see Capt. Black caught a laker too.

Left work a little early to get my stuff all in order for this weekend, bait, gas etc etc...aftwards decided to head out onto the lake checking houses. I ended up moving Ladybug and Jonesy's house to the other side of the lake, off of Wulamut, thanks Psycho for the company and assistance.

Sun set was nice. A thick fog with the sun shining through it. Flew the drone to capture it. Looks like Wellington Beach is in pretty good shape from the air to fish in. 

Condition of the lake:
It's all soft ice on top. Some areas are deep slush and you will break through with wheelers. Slow going with wheelers much better sled conditions. Even with sleds though, you will break through and bog down.
Straight off the boat launch and to the left the ice looks gray to black. Not good looking at all. To the right of the boat launch, the shore is starting to open up off the launch where the rock are (Open holes). Still fine but looks to be going. There is still a lot of ice i.e.: 10 - 14" but the top 3+" layer is soft and rotten.

I think CH and I going to not fish in our house(s) tomorrow and fish out side bouncing around instead. Use the house as a food shack. Really don't want to cut holes underneath. Sunday i'll fish in it as i think we have a cold night that evening plus its suppose to be windy during the day. (Typical on Newfound)

Be safe out there. Gotta survive the warm / rain and then onto some cold nights i hope........

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #438 on: Feb 24, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Good luck and stay safe Jiggin!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #439 on: Feb 24, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Nice report Jiggin thanks. Hope to be on Newfound all day on weds not sure who fishes during the week but I'll shout out on the radio. Drove by big and little squam today. Little squam looks good but inlet and outlet have lost ice. Big squam looked good too. Edges looked good. Is there any ice along rt 3 past pasquaney  bay?
Salmonemia

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #440 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:08 AM »
Salmon,
I was on LS on Thursday, still 16 inches of good ice on the east side of the lake (obviously away from the inlet channel. A good bit of slush/watery mess though some spots climbed darn near my boot top. Pretty much soup at this point. That said, seen some nice bows lately.

Cheers,
Keith
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #441 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:09 AM »
Last Saturday there were some guys quite a way out in front of the boat launch, but closer to shore I had 10" to the right of the launch, and some guys to the left also had about 10" they said. Not that I've been there since, but bow fishing might be an option there tomorrow.

Steph good to see you back we were starting to worry about you. Captain Black thought that you were in "The Witness Protection Program".

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #442 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:47 AM »
episode 9

Stalker came to visit via his mode of transportation

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #443 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:45 AM »
episode 9

Stalker came to visit via his mode of transportation

Awesome stuff! Can't wait to get out there on foot to chase some lakers n' bows!
Fog and mist is wicked here at home...how are Saturday conditions right now?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #444 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Thank you everyone for your help moving the bob houses to the shore.... with out you guys we most likely would have not made it due to the slush.

ZZ, Ashia and Chris

Ashia, you have a PM!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #445 on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:51 AM »
2/25/17

Today is some foggy out. Need GPS it's that bad.

Condition of the ice is soft top still and getting softer, lots of slush making travel by a wheeler very slow

More later

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Feb 25, 2017, 02:14 PM »
I love how you can see threw the ice and see the sandy rocky bottom! I wonder hoe much snow will be blown off by friday!

Hey OutdoorsLife, you have a PM!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #447 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Continuing my post from earlier....

It was a warm day 57F but with the wind chill 51F constant. South west breeze hitting 16 mph. Water all over the ice and very slushy. Ice is rotting quickly. I took my brown girls girls girls house off the lake when leaving for the day. Parked it at Wellington Boat Launch.

The boat launch is quickly fading too. Open holes where the rocks are and getting quite soft.

I think tomorrow will be a work day, taking other houses off and helping out where i can. Will remove my log cabin house with hopes of pulling it back out next weekend. We shall see how cold it will get.

Hard side house season is quickly coming to a close but the season isn't over yet.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #448 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Continuing my post from earlier....

It was a warm day 57F but with the wind chill 51F constant. South west breeze hitting 16 mph. Water all over the ice and very slushy. Ice is rotting quickly. I took my brown girls girls girls house off the lake when leaving for the day. Parked it at Wellington Boat Launch.

The boat launch is quickly fading too. Open holes where the rocks are and getting quite soft.

I think tomorrow will be a work day, taking other houses off and helping out where i can. Will remove my log cabin house with hopes of pulling it back out next weekend. We shall see how cold it will get.

Hard side house season is quickly coming to a close but the season isn't over yet.

Wow! Our decision to take our house off wasn't that far off base after all!
I think we did good Dragin!
Sorry to see this happening, cutting the fun of a house short during our 1st season with one!
Mother Nature is a cruel biatch!  >:(

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #449 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Lots of slush and open water on top of the lake I fished today. Huge drain holes spiraling water down into the lake. Hopefully a good cold snap will help out with foot traffic. It was very messy today.
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.