Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93246 times)

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #360 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:43 AM »
Thanks to the  Three Amigos for the house check, much appreciated. Wasn't much I could do with the Cummings Beach lot yesterday. Was able to clean up one lot at Wellington and the entry in before running out of time and gas. Will try again today if time.

Like Jiggin said now we stay put and wait. Stressful, worry about getting houses off the ice, but it always settles out and sets up. Part of the joy of a hardside ;D
Disappointed Jiggin, wanted to see the Argo handle the snow. Sure it went fine with no problems.

Mow, good luck if you make it out today.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #361 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:44 AM »
1/07/2017

On a separate note: Today MarCum wrote back to me about my camera cover. They said they couldn't repair it however could replace it. They needed to see pictures which i sent tonight. Update on this later too.

UPDATE ON MARCUM:

Marcum requested some information from me such as serial number and photos of the issue. They noticed that i hadn't registered the camera so they did that for me. The requested i send it into them, the camera and monitor without the battery which i did so when they fix it, they could be sure to test it out. When they received it, they notified me via e mail. When they started work on it they notified me via e mail. When they came to a solution (replace the camera with new) they notified me via e mail. Unfortunately they ran out of stock of cameras which again they notified me via e mail and said it would be about another week before they got them back in. When they shipped the unit back to me they provided tracking info and again notified me via e mail.
Today i received it back with a new camera.

I must say, Marcum is top notch when it comes to customer service and i would not hesitate to buy another due to this. I liked the fact that they kept me in the loop during the entire process so i didn't have to wonder or follow up. The camera is probably 3 - 4 years old, the crack on the inside was weird and not sure what caused it. Either way i am looking forward to using it this weekend and trying it out.

Anyone owning a Marcum is in good hands.

Thanks Marcum. I'll be back.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #362 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Always good when a company truly backs their own product. Doesn't happen enough anymore unfortunately.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #363 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:51 AM »
Awesome service! Glad I bought one and I really love it!
Time to move some snow and get out there...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #364 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Time to move some snow and get out there...

Be cautious Mowbizz getting onto the lake, when leaving last night we noticed at the launch there was slush. Not sure how the wheelers would go out there i.e.: Deep snow / Slush and not sure how deep the slush is. Snowmobiles wouldn't have a problem though. Wheelers might get stuck. I was thinking about this, this morning and thought although we packed down a trail, we were on snowmobiles and argo so we floated more than sank in. Wheelers will dig in or sink in more even when riding on our trails unless they froze up which i doubt they did.
If you get into trouble, you have my cell number i think, if not PM me. After work i can come out and lend you a hand if need be.

Stay dry and Good luck out there! It's gonna be a messy one.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #365 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Stressful, worry about getting houses off the ice, but it always settles out and sets up.

True. Really nothing we can do. I dont worry too much about removing the houses yet as we still have March fishing ahead of us. Usually during March the temps warm up and the snow melts. Ice turns to granules and moving the houses is easy. Your wheeler or sleds will hook up nice to the ice and pulling houses is a breeze.

Although the AVFD derby has been cancelled (tough decision but it was the right one) we still have a few events awaiting us this season.

Hopefully we still have the following events:

Ice Shanty Gathering

End of the Season Newfound Circus Get Together "Non Derby Derby". (We all start out more or less together at Cummings, then throughout the season get separated and then end the season back together again).

Removing of the houses (everyone gets out alive, no one left behind and everyone pitches in loading bob houses onto trailers). This makes it super easy to load up houses onto trailers when you have a bunch of folks around instead of doing it yourself. We usually have 20+ folks pitching in.

The end of the season ride. Where we ride around the lake probably for the last time cleaning up blocks, trash or whatever else needs to be picked up from those that left their "mess" behind.

We're no wheres near done yet. We try to get the most out of our short season.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #366 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:37 PM »
 Jiggin
We made it out late sometime after noon and got out on the snowmobile just fine but we did not come out from Wellington we came out from Cummings.
My wife and I appreciate the concern as is your usual procedure.
The water did not come rushing up out of the holes but it is wicking up into the snow so we're kind of standing In slush when we step outside of the Bobhouse.
We've had quite a bit of action so far some aggressive Lakers that we just could not hook up on but we're hoping!
 It feels good to be out here again.
Again, thank you so much for the heads up and the concern will keep you posted as to what's going on out here.
By the way we got a call from Dragin just as we were setting up and I appreciate his concern as well.
My wife and I are trying to think up a handle for her as she does not have one yet but as soon as we do will let you know and announce it.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #367 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Handle announcement!

My wife and I came up with her newfound circus handle.
Since she is a musician and plays piano and organ at a local church every Sunday and is involved in the choir and also gets involved in summer stock theater in the Lakes region there for her handle shall be, from this day forward...
"SHOBIZZ"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #368 on: Feb 16, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Handle announcement!

My wife and I came up with her newfound circus handle.
Since she is a musician and plays piano and organ at a local church every Sunday and is involved in the choir and also gets involved in summer stock theater in the Lakes region there for her handle shall be, from this day forward...
"SHOBIZZ"

Love it!! Makes much more sense than what i came up with.....MowOrgan..... never mind.

Welcome to the Newfound Circus SHOBIZZ!

Go Go Get Em!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Feb 16, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Love it!! Makes much more sense than what i came up with.....MowOrgan..... never mind.

Welcome to the Newfound Circus SHOBIZZ!

Go Go Get Em!

LOL
It's official then...and she's jigging as we speak with a hot pink bucktail!

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #370 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Welcome to the circus Shobizz, it's a great crew and a lot of fun. Hope you showed Mow how to get them with the pink works

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #371 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Welcome to the circus Shobizz, it's a great crew and a lot of fun. Hope you showed Mow how to get them with the pink works

Thanks Dragin! This is Mowbizz...Shobizz is getting ready for Thurs night choir rehearsal...
Damn lakers were messin' with us today.

Lots of bumps and rolls but no hookups.
We got off the lake before the sun set and travel by sno-go was perfect...still not sure if the wheelers will make it through.
Got a visit from a pair of COs...forgot to ask who was Green Goblin and who was Green Ghost...next time!

Thanks to all for staying in touch...makes us feel like we're part of something bigger! Great folks for sure!

See you tomorrow out there!

By the way Jiggin, I brought out some 4x4 blocks and took care of that business...was a slush fest under and around the house.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #372 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:44 AM »
2/17
Shobizz and I finally got set up out here at 9 AM and the wind is wicked today.
Will keep everyone posted as to what's going on and if anyone needs a hand getting out here I'm available.
This morning we came in from Wellington because Cummings was so drifted over I couldn't position the snowmobile trailer correctly as I was blocking the whole area...got into Wellington fine and we are in one of the unplowed lots down near the launch. Follow the snowmobile tracks from yesterday ( Game wardens )that led us right to our house.
 Come on Lakers!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #373 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Question: The boat launch is NOT plowed out yet? I was planning to take a ride after work to check it out but if you can tell me, that would save me a trip. I'll go tonight to plow if need be.

Let me know please.

Thanks!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Question: The boat launch is NOT plowed out yet? I was planning to take a ride after work to check it out but if you can tell me, that would save me a trip. I'll go tonight to plow if need be.

Let me know please.

Thanks!

Already spoke with Jiggin and relayed the condition of the Wellington launch area.
 Upper parking lot near the gate house is plowed but lower parking lots near the launch itself are not plowed.
Again this is general information because Jiggin's question has been answered.

Mowbizz

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #375 on: Feb 17, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Called it quits early today as we need to meet some folks for dinner tonight...totally, dead day lake trout wise only one chum picker (just nudged the chum) and a couple of uninterested cruise by's.
VERY windy today!
Chipped ice off of the flat roof of our house...nice and bare now.
Was watching a group of youngsters getting their house out of a hole nearby...they did fine and looks like they were blocking up more this time.

May have to add some blocks to mine too as the slush is already almost burying a couple of my 4x4 blocks...gonna be messy this weekend with warmer temps.

THE WELLINGTON LOWER LOT IS NOW PLOWED. Don't know who did it but they must have chuckled as they plowed me in somewhat...no problem...put it in low range and powered through.
There is a snow bank (thanks plow guy) in front of the ramp access that almost broke my rigid hitch as I eased over it with the Skidoo...ya think they would push the snow to the side a bit knowing folks travel onto the lake right there...oh well.
Spoke with Jiggin about the conditions there and he was going to swing by and do some cleanup with his plow too...
Tomorrow's another day!
Dragin, we were expecting you to be out today...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #376 on: Feb 17, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Just got back in from knocking down the banken at the boat launch. Also plowed out all the snow where they plowed you in Mowbizz......they must of been laughing. There was 3 feet of snow around where your truck and trailer were.

Wellington Boat launch is all set for parking. Again, be careful entering the lake. Go right or South once your on.

Cheers.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #377 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Thank you Jiggin!   ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #378 on: Feb 18, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Bluebird day today!
Caught lots!

Of sun, that is...had one chew n' screw on a tip up and maybe 5 or 6 uninterested lakers on the camera. Beautiful day to be on Newfound...got the house re-blocked on the 4x4s that sank into the slush...high and dry now, as Jiggin says.
Tomorrow is another day and the lakers must be hungry by now...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #379 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08:08 PM »
2/18/17

Got up at 4 am.
 Today Was a day of just getting things taken care of. Beautiful day weather wise. Little wind, blue sky's, warm.
Last weds we checked houses and my "Girls Girls Girls" house was high and dry. Not so this morning. I decided to stop in and check it out before going to the log cabin house. Glad i did. The runners were under by 3+ inches. Odd, one of my tie down holes opened up and flooded the area. Good news was it had a thin layer of ice that you could break through just by standing on it. So chopping was easy however there was about 12+" of water under that thin layer.
Tied on and pulled it outta there. Bumped it back about 30 yards. Blocked it up and then moved Psycho's house for him. Then moved Scruffys house out of his slush pit.
Made it to the log cabin around 9:30.
Drilled my holes and sure enough water came gushing out of CH's hole. Mine not so bad. I packed snow around her bucket trying to stop the bleeding but it continues to seep. All day.
Flew the drone a bit today.
Later i moved Frogs house and then moved Ladybugs.
When I got back decided I might as well bump mine too. Moved it about 30 yards out of the water hole.
Thanks god for rubber boots.
After dropping CH at the boat launch around 7pm, I decided to check on the "Girls, Girls, Girls" house and it looks like I'll need to bump that one again tomorrow. Already taking on some water. Too tired tonight.
Now I'm gonna sit down and do some cusk fishing before hitting the wrapper.

More tomorrow.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #380 on: Feb 19, 2017, 07:56 AM »
Went to the house Friday. Had to walk it. Had the Sled loaded for the weekend. Auger, food bait, blocking, and new farm jack. Going was tough to say the least. Got about half way up Mayhew from Cummings and Ken came by with his sled. Guess he felt bad for me as rest breaks were coming quicker. Regardless it was much appreciated. Worked on getting the house back up on top. Blocking kept floating out of place, so got runners above water and let them freeze in. Finished jacking Saturday. Started fishing around 1:30. Slowbite but did get one Laker and one small cusk. Lost a nice cusk in the hole. Guessing 3 pounder.

Fish Hunter came out Saturday mid morning and we fished till about 4:30.Slow day. Only had 3 or 4 fish in the camera , only one biting, but unable to get him to hook up. Took advantage of a ride back to the parking lot from Fish Hunter.

Got home and hit Craig's list, time to get a sled. Not as young as I use to be and not ready to fish roadside.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #381 on: Feb 19, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Went to the house Friday. Had to walk it. Had the Sled loaded for the weekend. Auger, food bait, blocking, and new farm jack. Going was tough to say the least. Got about half way up Mayhew from Cummings and Ken came by with his sled. Guess he felt bad for me as rest breaks were coming quicker. Regardless it was much appreciated. Worked on getting the house back up on top. Blocking kept floating out of place, so got runners above water and let them freeze in. Finished jacking Saturday. Started fishing around 1:30. Slowbite but did get one Laker and one small cusk. Lost a nice cusk in the hole. Guessing 3 pounder.

Fish Hunter came out Saturday mid morning and we fished till about 4:30.Slow day. Only had 3 or 4 fish in the camera , only one biting, but unable to get him to hook up. Took advantage of a ride back to the parking lot from Fish Hunter.

Got home and hit Craig's list, time to get a sled. Not as young as I use to be and not ready to fish roadside.

Dang Dragin..should have given a holler rather than walk!
Wife and I were out there and I was expecting to hear from you.
If I'm out there you have a ride brother!

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:36 PM »
How's the ice holding up ...I can't get up there until Wednesday to get mine off the north end...praying it holds until then
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Feb 19, 2017, 04:14 PM »
How's the ice holding up ...I can't get up there until Wednesday to get mine off the north end...praying it holds until then

We may have lost some ice but I don't think that much.
 We're dealing with a slush fest just like everywhere else now...tough going pulling a heavy house through this crap unless you have an Argo!  No guarantee with an Argo either.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #384 on: Feb 19, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Mow thanks didn't realize you were out. I parked at Cummings and didn't see your ride. Guess you came on at Wellington. Sorry I missed you and Showbiz.

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Feb 19, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Hope we didn't lose much we only had 6-8 to begin with where I was at ....hopefully it holds untit Wednesday
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #386 on: Feb 19, 2017, 04:57 PM »
Mowbizz, I love the name Shobizz! That's perfect!

I finally made it to good ol' Newfound yesterday, went off Wellington. I saw 2 guys just north of the boat launch, so I was going to mosey past them. When I got to where they were, I saw 2 more guys further up. I stopped to talk, and they told me that the further up guys only had 4", so I turned back around, since there was no reason to crowd anyone (or head for thinner ice!). They were only in the second cove, fyi on ice thickness there.

A guy from southern NH set up a little way from me later on, and ended up coming over and chatting while watching for flags. He ended up pulling up a decent bow around mid afternoon. Super nice guy, and we had good conversation about just about everything. Then he gave me some power eggs and teeny tiny hooks for bow fishing. You meet the nicest people on Newfound, really.

I ran into Beerhog at the launch. He unloaded his shack from the back of his truck alone as I was approaching. I was very impressed!

I stayed home today to scrape down my driveway and blah blah blah snow stuff, but I might sneak out of work a little early during the week for some more spring-like fishing.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Ashia

• IceShanty Rookie
Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #387 on: Feb 19, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Thank you everyone for your help moving the bob houses to the shore.... with out you guys we most likely would have not made it due to the slush.

ZZ, Ashia and Chris

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #388 on: Feb 19, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Mow thanks didn't realize you were out. I parked at Cummings and didn't see your ride. Guess you came on at Wellington. Sorry I missed you and Showbiz.

We tried Cummings but the lane was so narrow my WIDE trailer would have blocked it.
Much better parking situation at Wellington.
If you plan to walk...please give a holler.....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #389 on: Feb 19, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Mowbizz, I love the name Shobizz! That's perfect!

I finally made it to good ol' Newfound yesterday, went off Wellington. I saw 2 guys just north of the boat launch, so I was going to mosey past them. When I got to where they were, I saw 2 more guys further up. I stopped to talk, and they told me that the further up guys only had 4", so I turned back around, since there was no reason to crowd anyone (or head for thinner ice!). They were only in the second cove, fyi on ice thickness there.

A guy from southern NH set up a little way from me later on, and ended up coming over and chatting while watching for flags. He ended up pulling up a decent bow around mid afternoon. Super nice guy, and we had good conversation about just about everything. Then he gave me some power eggs and teeny tiny hooks for bow
fishing. You meet the nicest people on Newfound, really.

I ran into Beerhog at the launch. He unloaded his shack from the back of his truck alone as I was approaching. I was very impressed!

I stayed home today to scrape down my driveway and blah blah blah snow stuff, but I might sneak out of work a little early during the week for some more spring-like fishing.  :)

Hey Guinea!
Haven't met you yet but I'm sure we will (if the ice holds out)
Thanks! My wife's handle worked out perfectly if I say so myself  ;D

Stop in if you're on Newfound (orange crush colored aluminum house north of Mayhew)
Great people in the circus!

We're going to try to bump our house a bit closer to Mayhew...since we're striking out on lakers lately, going to try for some Newfound rainbows and at the same time leave the slush carnage behind from the spot we are at now.
Tomorrow's another day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.