Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93243 times)

Offline oldspud

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #270 on: Feb 04, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Any safe ice off the Wellington boat launch yet?

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #271 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Hi Circus Folk!

I'm hoping to bring my sideshow act back before too long. I still have trout to cross off the "honey-do list".

M&M and Coffin Dodger, thanks for thinking of me! I was just talking about you guys today! I've been holing up on a local pond until I get my vehicle situation under control, but on the bright side, I caught my first bass through the ice there, and I jigged it up! Today was picks and perch on flags, but I was out there. I'd love to get together with you guys again this season. I should have a valid inspection sticker Wednesday and will be willing to travel.  :) :tipup:
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Well, welcome back Stephanie!  :clap:
Congrats on your ba$$.
Don't be a stranger.
Hate to speak for anyone else, but I doubt you'll have to twist Denny's arm.
Looking forward to getting out with you both.
Good luck with your ride.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #273 on: Feb 04, 2017, 10:16 PM »
We're leaving the light on for you Guinea. Quiet on the lake without you.

So far I have 3 cusk for tonight.

ZZ and his daughter came and visited for a bit earlier. They moved their house up to where we are.

Hopefully get some more cold weather this week.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #274 on: Feb 04, 2017, 10:20 PM »
Any safe ice off the Wellington boat launch yet?

Going on to the lake at the boat launch, the right side is not safe. The left side is accessible. Hornets cove
Which is to the left of the boat launch is open water. There is about 4 1/2 to 5 inches off the boat launch south or going to the right side  once on to the lake.  I saw a portable out there earlier today   

Boat launch is plowed out.

Offline oldspud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #275 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the ice report Jiggin. Maybe by next weekend I can get on there ok. Hit Sunapee instead Sunday. About a foot of ice. Picked up
2 lakers, no trophys.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #276 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:20 AM »
Made it out there on Sunday morning. Checked my spot up north and still can't believe the amount of open water in the Sanborn Bay area. Ended up fishing in Pasquaney Bay until 2ish before the game. Landed 4, lost a couple good ones at 7:30 and just before 8 (felt good, easily in the 20's for inches). Biggest was probably about 18", nothing too special, but good to get some that day.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #277 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:23 AM »
Thanks for update! Sorry to hear your spot is still open water.
 I went out yesterday and bounced my house to a new spot. I launched from Wellington boat launch and couldn't believe how much the open water has moved towards the launch from the wind. Although cold, the wind isn't helping.

Laker Taker and I moved the Jones house and helped set it up in pikes cove. Tippin came out later and bounced his house too. New spots to try this weekend. Hopefully won't get too much snow this week. 

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #278 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Thanks for update! Sorry to hear your spot is still open water.
 I went out yesterday and bounced my house to a new spot. I launched from Wellington boat launch and couldn't believe how much the open water has moved towards the launch from the wind. Although cold, the wind isn't helping.

Laker Taker and I moved the Jones house and helped set it up in pikes cove. Tippin came out later and bounced his house too. New spots to try this weekend. Hopefully won't get too much snow this week.
Thanks For the Info Jiggin, It is really taking a beating up there. Hopefully the ice will re freeze. Its been a slow process. Im shocked its open water on the north end.
Salmonemia

Offline Live2Fishnh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #279 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Hey Jiggin I am looking at getting into the fishinh guide business when I graduate high school. I was wondering if you could show me some pointers on how to catch lake trout and rainbows thru the ice. That's my only weakness fishing I cannot seem to catch any sort of trout thru the ice I can never find them I live right next to Newfound I go there alot and never catch anything except cusk.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #280 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:01 AM »
Made it out Friday and caught one laker. Toadie came out and spent the night and Sir Gabby also came out and stayed till about 12:30. Not sure who caught what, but the count was two lakers and a cusk. I went back Saturday and got skunked. Stayed home Sunday, but back out Monday. Caught one laker and rolled two. Laker Taker came by for a visit and left me some cut bait. A big thank you for the bait and as always entertaining. Watched Jiggin bump up the lake. No problem, even with the wind. Just wondering if he got his solar panels lined up to his liking. Waiting for the weather. Hopefully back out there Friday

Offline Toadie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #281 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Just heard avfd derby canxed  that seems premature as usual!  Have some more suck pills .

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #282 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Just heard avfd derby canxed  that seems premature as usual!  Have some more suck pills .

Not so sure about that....we are looking into it but this is the first i heard of it being cancelled. Checking on their FB page, there is no mention of this.

Dont swallow the pill just yet....Were you looking at the wrong tape measure again??.... ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #283 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Hey Jiggin I am looking at getting into the fishinh guide business when I graduate high school. I was wondering if you could show me some pointers on how to catch lake trout and rainbows thru the ice. That's my only weakness fishing I cannot seem to catch any sort of trout thru the ice I can never find them I live right next to Newfound I go there alot and never catch anything except cusk.

Hi Live2Fishnh,

That's too funny but appreciate you reaching out to me. I'm no guide by any means, in fact my wife is currently kicking my booty in terms of numbers, she is ahead of me at the moment however i still have plenty of vacation time on the books.

With that said, I believe there is no right or wrong, just try and see. Over time you will gain valuable experience from trial and error. You never know what they will hit or won't. I have seen some really "stupid stuff" work and some "for sure stuff" not. So you really don't know unless your out there trying. Underwater cameras will certainly help you in many ways for lakers.

I think you need to go enroll in Laker Taker Academy which Tuition is free i believe. He has several lakers under his belt this season and I'm sure in the lead on the lake in terms of numbers. I hope he doesn't read this as his head has a tendency to swell and will eclipse the sun.

For rainbows, your best bet is to hook up with NHTF (Keith) or AQUAASSASSIN or BarringtonBrad as these guys know what they are doing for sure. I hope i didn't put them on the spot.

I would be happy to show you how to cut up your suckers / hook them onto your jigs, hook on your smelt, what jigs are working, where you should target on Newfound for both Lakers and Rainbows etc...whatever i can do to help you out, no problems. I'm willing to share what i know. PM me sometime.

I think you have a great goal and wish i had done the same at your age. Good for you man. Cheers to that.

Offline Toadie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #284 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Well maybe my ears are out of cal. I'll make a phone call

Offline Toadie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:45 AM »
My source won't answer his phone so I hope it's not true.

Offline Toadie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Just checked avfd fb page and I think my source was looking at a post from last season...  Yup same tape measure.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #287 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Just checked avfd fb page and I think my source was looking at a post from last season...  Yup same tape measure.
I would die if that derby was cancelled... It is the only cash derby that I actually have a chance in placing  ;D

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #288 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Toadie.Toadie. Toadie; for spreading false ugly rumors you will have to sit in the corner and jig with no bait. :nono:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #289 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Toadie.Toadie. Toadie; for spreading false ugly rumors you will have to sit in the corner and jig with no bait. :nono:

Geez...I jig with no bait all the time...this can't be good.  ???

Offline Toadie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #290 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:12 PM »
I was pretty upset also. My source is now dead to me. Wasn't trying to spread rumors but wanted to see if it was true. Sorry!

Offline Toadie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #291 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Oh yeah I heard it the mayor himself. Should have known better. Was going to cancel my vacation tomorrow morning.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #292 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Episode 6....Early Ice on Newfound.

Drone Footage. Enjoy in HD.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #293 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:12 AM »
JIGGIN, that's the first of the circus videos I've ever seen. Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Has anyone been over by the boat ramp lately? Last time I was there was 2 weeks ago and it seemed sketchy. Hoping to spend the weekend over there.
-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #295 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:07 AM »
Went out to try and beat the snow this morning, check the house and maybe get a couple hours of fishing...didn't work out! Just as we unloaded the wheeler the storm came in like a lion...decided to make a run out to do the check and everything looked okay. Forgot my warm riding gloves so started the buddy heater to thaw hands went and said hi to Chris (Outdoorslife) and Asha, who were setting traps and preparing to brave the storm.
Wished them luck and scooted back to the truck.
I think we're gonna get dumped on good with this snow as when we got home there was already 4" on the driveway in just a couple of hours...stay safe out there people!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #296 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Has anyone been over by the boat ramp lately? Last time I was there was 2 weeks ago and it seemed sketchy. Hoping to spend the weekend over there.

The last report on the ramp at Wellington was from Jiggin.
You can launch from the LEFT RAMP AS  OF EARLIER THIS WEEK.
RIGHT SIDE WAS NOT SAFE AT THAT TIME.
I don't know about right this minute but probably the same conditions.
There was OPEN WATER out from the ramp slightly NORTH AND OUT A LITTLE WAY WITH CHANGING CONDITIONS depending on WIND MOVEMENT.
Safest ice is SOUTH OF THE RAMPS.
Be safe and check as you go...wicked cold coming in for a couple of days but also more snow cover on the lake in general.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #297 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:03 AM »
JIGGIN, that's the first of the circus videos I've ever seen. Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Hottuna5150. Glad you liked it, there are plenty more on Youtube.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #298 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Thanks Hottuna5150. Glad you liked it, there are plenty more on Youtube.

I noticed lol. Been marathoning them this morning.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #299 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:50 AM »

Toadie, your contact was right. The AVFD derby has been CANCELLED.

Taken from the AVFD FB page:
Hi all, unfortunately mother nature has not been good to us with cold weather. With unseasonably warm weather thus far and the lack of enough safe Ice around Newfound Lake. After discussing conditions with NH Fish & Game the membership voted to cancel this year's 2017 Alexandria Volunteer Firefighters Association Newfound Lake Ice Fishing Derby. As always use caution when venturing out on the ice. Thank you all for your support and we will see you next year :)
Lt Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.