Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93245 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #240 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Hmmmm...thanks to CH for her generosity with showing her "HOT" colors!
A trip to AJ's is in my near future... ;)

Yea, her method is Lakers like  "pretty jigs".

Go to AJ's and ask for the CH Special Alan or Brandi will know what your talking about. i must admit it is out producing the Kastmaster for me this season.

She is ahead of me so for this season in terms of numbers (and quality of lakers actually) but I'm going out Thursday night and taking Friday off this week to get caught up. Then coming home Sunday before the super bowl. Staying the weekend on the ice. Gotta do what i gotta do :)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #241 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Its like a drug. I'm always on the rainbow search :)

Yes the drug with a tug. Gotta love that.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #242 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Anybody have any updates on the Sanborn Bay area? Hoping there'll be at least 3-4" Sunday. Haven't fished my spot in over 2 years now!

Hi Dennisg34, no i havent been by that area nor have i heard anything. I would imagine with the weather we are getting this week, there should be 3 - 4" but again i am not positive.

Take a ride and let us know please!

Good luck.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #243 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Yea, her method is Lakers like  "pretty jigs".

Go to AJ's and ask for the CH Special Alan or Brandi will know what your talking about. i must admit it is out producing the Kastmaster for me this season.

She is ahead of me so for this season in terms of numbers (and quality of lakers actually) but I'm going out Thursday night and taking Friday off this week to get caught up. Then coming home Sunday before the super bowl. Staying the weekend on the ice. Gotta do what i gotta do :)

1/31/17
Bumped my house (FIRST TIME EVER!) today...went out where the pros went...Jiggin, you got a new neighbor  :o

Found 39 ft of water and looked at the bottom and it looked nice...very sandy and clear!
Tried jigging for 5 minutes but had to close up and go tend to the pooches ( left them in the truck while bumping)
Took them over to Wellington to run a bit and checked the launch there...LOTS of open water north of the ramp and out a couple hundred yards...the right ramp seems to be locking up and the left one has ice that pushed in and is rising up a couple feet. NOT ready for general use yet although I believe one could walk on there and stay south BUT ONLY AFTER A COUPLE OF FREEZING NIGHTS! No idea how thick the ice is there so go slow and check with your chisel if you go there.
Went to AJ's afterwards and found some of CH's pretty colored bucktails but neither AJ nor BRANDI were there.
May try tomorrow if the snow isn't too bad...

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #244 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:09 AM »
Hi Dennisg34, no i havent been by that area nor have i heard anything. I would imagine with the weather we are getting this week, there should be 3 - 4" but again i am not positive.

Take a ride and let us know please!

Good luck.

No Problem! I will have to do a check then! Are you going to be out Sunday? I'll have to get a radio, channel 5.5 right?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #245 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:43 AM »
No Problem! I will have to do a check then! Are you going to be out Sunday? I'll have to get a radio, channel 5.5 right?

Yup will be out Sunday for most of the day and yes channel 5.5

Good luck and be safe.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Yup will be out Sunday for most of the day and yes channel 5.5

Good luck and be safe.

Jiggin, what is the model number of the correct radio for channel 5.5?
I need to get on the "lake buzz"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #247 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Jiggin, what is the model number of the correct radio for channel 5.5?
I need to get on the "lake buzz"

I use a:

Motorola 35-mile Talkabout Water Proof Rechargeable Two-Way Radio - Yellow/Black (MS350R)

Floats and water proof.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #248 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:36 AM »
I use a:

Motorola 35-mile Talkabout Water Proof Rechargeable Two-Way Radio - Yellow/Black (MS350R)

Floats and water proof.

Awesome! Thank you!

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #249 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:23 AM »
Like the long range forecast, so will try and bump the house off the mud flats today. Hoping to find a harder bottom and better vis. Have a pet sucker under the hose now who keeps stirring up the silt. Want to go northeast of Mayhew.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #250 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:04 AM »
2/1/2017

Took my youngest grandson Logan (4yrs old) out for a ride to check on the bob houses.

Frog and Daju stopped over. Apparently they fished most of the day with nothing to show for it. Laker Taker was out having diner and checked on houses after.

Nice night for a ride. Logan loved it calling it "Boyz Night Out" which is a bit different from what i remembered when i was younger...

Plans are to Go out either Thursday night or Friday Morning to stay for the weekend. Return home before the Super Bowl.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:35 AM »
I use a:

Floats and water proof.

Bought a set on amazon last night, $49 they are refurbished units.
Life is good!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #252 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:07 PM »
Another video just before the weekend.

Enjoy!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #253 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Another nice vid.. hope you get lots of good footage over the weekend...

Quick question, and I know it may vary by lake and Newfound is really clear, but how far do you typically place your camera hole from your jigging hole... and do you typically have the LED's on?

Have an aqua view I am still experimenting with, but often times I have poor visibility... though I have some some "huge" shiners (right up against the lens).

Thanks

Offline OneShotOneKill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:09 PM »
We should be good to go this season for the derby which is slated to take place Feb 25 & 26. It is starting to finally get cold around here with nights getting down to the single digits and days only up to 30f for this week. About time!!!!

Always best to check the ice yourself but the southern part of the lake is good for ATV's.

Good luck!

you mean Feb 11 & 12 right? last I knew nothing had been postponed. Unless you guys aren't talking about the Meredith Rotary Derby

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Feb 02, 2017, 02:13 PM »
you mean Feb 11 & 12 right? last I knew nothing had been postponed. Unless you guys aren't talking about the Meredith Rotary Derby

https://www.facebook.com/AVFDicefishingderby/?fref=nf
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #256 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:09 PM »

No, Feb 25 & 26 for AVFD. I don't care about the Meredith Rotary Derby.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #257 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:12 PM »

Quick question, and I know it may vary by lake and Newfound is really clear, but how far do you typically place your camera hole from your jigging hole... and do you typically have the LED's on?

Have an aqua view I am still experimenting with, but often times I have poor visibility... though I have some some "huge" shiners (right up against the lens).

Thanks

I put my camera any where from 2.5' to 5' away from our holes. No problem with Visibility on Newfound unless a lot of snow and cloudy out. No LED lights on either.

I typically fish in 35 fow or so.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #258 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Spent the day out there today...got a late start as I had turn around for a forgotten piece of clothing.  :P

Got two short lakers on the tip up and had them on the camera all day, pretty much. No interest in any presentation...maybe because the wind was HOWLING...yeah that's it!
Think I saw you Jiggin as I was going home on W. Shore Rd (flashed my high beams at you coming towards Cummings)

Dragin stopped by to introduce himself today...nice meeting you, brother! Stop by any time!

C-O-L-D day...the holes were freezing up frequently in the howling wind.

Ended up the day trying a live smelt down the bob house hole...was fun to see how the bait reacts down there on the cam...had lots of interest in it but no takers.

Here's one of the many teasers I had on cam today.

Picture on the camera actually looks better in person...came out grainy here...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #259 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Yup that was me. Went out to see what was going on.

Tippin bounced his house out and Laker Taker came out later and did the same. During the day light, I had a chance to check out a crack on the ice to see if it was crossable.

Hung out with Dragin for a bit then headed home. His fish finder / camera is pretty cool. I see one in Tippin's "near" future.....also got to watch him yank up a couple of cusk.

My plans are to stay put this weekend and get some "practice" sleeping out to see what issues arise before the AVFD derby. Having 2 houses out is nice as i can use one for a storage shed etc....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #260 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Yup that was me. Went out to see what was going on.

Tippin bounced his house out and Laker Taker came out later and did the same. During the day light, I had a chance to check out a crack on the ice to see if it was crossable.

Hung out with Dragin for a bit then headed home. His fish finder / camera is pretty cool. I see one in Tippin's "near" future.....

My plans are to stay put this weekend and get some "practice" sleeping out to see what issues arise before the AVFD derby. Having 2 houses out is nice as i can use one for a storage shed etc....

That's gotta be a first! Having a house and a shed on the ice!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #261 on: Feb 03, 2017, 04:10 AM »
I put my camera any where from 2.5' to 5' away from our holes. No problem with Visibility on Newfound unless a lot of snow and cloudy out. No LED lights on either.

I typically fish in 35 fow or so.

Thanks Jiggin - hope to try it in a clear deep lake this weekend.... in the warm water ponds I typically fish it typically isn't worth using.

Enjoy your campout...

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #262 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:19 AM »
 Yesterday was moving day. Bumped the house and found better bottom. Got the house set up, then went for a short visit with Mowbiz. That's a sweet setup Mow. Put my first laker on the ice about 3:30, then a second around 4:20. Jiggin came out and helped Tippin relocate. When they were done they stop in to visit. I caught two cusk while shootin the bull. We had a blast watching Laker Taker buzz around after dark looking for his sweet spot. Laker stopped in for a visit. I left the ice around 7:30. Had a great day on the ice.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #263 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Spent sunrise til about 3:30 out on Newfound...still can't get a laker to go after my jigs no matter what I put down there. I tried all colors, all baits, all lures, Jiggin even, generously offered up a "froggie special" chunk o'sucker and even baited my bucktail for me!
I saw lakers sporadically all day and even had one lazy laker slowly picking off all my chum for the better part of an hour...hell he even sniffed my sucker meated jig and never touched it...maybe I put too much down there?
Anyhow, it's all great fun and a great learning experience and soon i'm sure I'll be flippin' lakers up on the ice just like Jiggin and the others... ;D
I had a tip up sucker out on my trap all day too with no bites...
Today Jiggin introduced me to Laker Taker and gave me a radio to use to listen in on the Newfound buzz...fun stuff and you won't find a more affable, generous guy than Jiggin.
Thanks bud! Good stuff!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #264 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:12 PM »
2/3/2017

Had today off, packed the truck and headed out.

Got 4 lakers today on kastmaster and smelt. Lost 4. 2 at the hole on the spring line. 2 while jigging. Lost a kastmaster on one. Lost one on the spring line, as the laker got near the hole it decided to swim down so I let it take some line but didn't realize I was stepping on my line and it broke off. Looked like a nice one of course.

Laker Taker and I drove over and checked the ice at Wellington boat launch from the ice side. The left side of the launch is passable on foot.  There is about 4 1/2 inches of ice there. To the left  of the launch is open water.  There is also a pressure crack at the Canoe access.  The right side of the lunch is not passable.  We need another week of cold weather

Mobizz, Dragin, Toadie were out today

Now onto some cusk fishing and get out of these hot clothes and get comfortable.

Great day.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #265 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:27 PM »
2/3/2017

Had today off, packed the truck and headed out.

Got 4 lakers today on kastmaster and smelt. Lost 4. 2 at the hole on the spring line. 2 while jigging. Lost a kastmaster on one. Lost one on the spring line, as the laker got near the hole it decided to swim down so I let it take some line but didn't realize I was stepping on my line and it broke off. Looked like a nice one of course.

Laker Taker and I drove over and checked the ice at Wellington boat launch from the ice side. The left side of the launch is passable on foot.  There is about 4 1/2 inches of ice there. To the left  of the launch is open water.  There is also a pressure crack at the Canoe access.  The right side of the lunch is not passable.  We need another week of cold weather

Mobizz, Dragin, Toadie were out today

Now onto some cusk fishing and get out of these hot clothes and get comfortable.

Great day.

Jiggin, when you say kastmaster and a smelt is that a live kicking smelt or otherwise? How do you hook up the smelt to the kastmaster? Thanks!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #266 on: Feb 04, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Jiggin, when you say kastmaster and a smelt is that a live kicking smelt or otherwise? How do you hook up the smelt to the kastmaster? Thanks!

I use live bait but after I Hook them onto my kastmaster they aren't so alive.
I'll show you next time I see you.

Last night ended up w 7 cusk (all small) and 1 Laker at 1 am on my rattle reel that got tied up w my jig line. Thought I had doubles and a good one on until I stripped a bunch of line off my rattle reel setting the hook on my jig stick. Spent the next hour fixing my lines. Went to bed after that.

This morning had 4 under the house but chum eaters. Put a spring line down w a piece of cut bait and finally after a few hours one made the mistake of eating the one with the hook in it.

Caught up to CH :) took me a couple of extra days :) I'm ok w that.

Butterfly currently controlling the board today. She's making lemon blueberry cookies and having  Psycho running around the lake passing them out. I think that is her plan. It's working. Not telling Psycho cause we're getting cookies. :)

More later. Staying the night again tonight.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #267 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:05 PM »
I use live bait but after I Hook them onto my kastmaster they aren't so alive.
I'll show you next time I see you.

Last night ended up w 7 cusk (all small) and 1 Laker at 1 am on my rattle reel that got tied up w my jig line. Thought I had doubles and a good one on until I stripped a bunch of line off my rattle reel setting the hook on my jig stick. Spent the next hour fixing my lines. Went to bed after that.

This morning had 4 under the house but chum eaters. Put a spring line down w a piece of cut bait and finally after a few hours one made the mistake of eating the one with the hook in it.

Caught up to CH :) took me a couple of extra days :) I'm ok w that.

Butterfly currently controlling the board today. She's making lemon blueberry cookies and having  Psycho running around the lake passing them out. I think that is her plan. It's working. Not telling Psycho cause we're getting cookies. :)

More later. Staying the night again tonight.

Thanks Jiggin!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #268 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:20 PM »
So had a pretty good day. It came down between Psycho and Laker Taker. Ended w 7 lakers for Laker Taker and 5 for Psycho.  Butterfly got 3, CH and I both w one each. That's puts her 1 up on me. Means more time off for me!

Switching to cusk fishing now.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #269 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:53 PM »
Take off all the time you want. My money is on CH!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.