Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93246 times)

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #180 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Jiggin,
this very well may be a stupid question, but.... what does CH's handle stand for or is it simply CH? I've been following the circus for two years now, and I cannot find it anywhere?

He Can't say it Here...
But I'm sure You Guys can use Your imagination.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Roger roger. Thanks.

i was honestly not trying to stir the pot..... I think.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Jiggin, I am new to cusk fishing. Is there anywhere right now that is frozen that anyone recommends to catch some decent cusk I have 6 lines out now at Pikes Point at the south end but the spot went dead I caught 2 out of there in 2 days now the fish are gone. I cooked the first one I caught. Now I just want to keep catching more. By far the best tasting freshwater fish I have ever eaten.

Hello Live2Fishnh, cusk are fun to jig up and they hit differently than lakers do. You can try to fish around Mayhew from Cummings beach side. It's rocky near the shore line that will hold cusk. Pikes cove is good too, again around Mayhew is where i would go where it starts to get sandy. I don't like to fish in the rocks but where the rocks start to taper off near a sandy bottom. Typically around 25+ fow. Another go to spot (if there is safe ice) is Sleepy Hollow near Loon Island (North end of the lake).
Yes too, very tasty. Try it deep fried....then again every thing deep fried taste great.

I've had very good luck with a 1+0z glow in the dark bucktail (See AJ's) tipped with a redfin shiner or smelt. Even cut bait works but my favorite is a redfin for cusk. I hook them sideways onto the jig starting about 1/3 down from their head, putting the point of the hook hidden in the brain of the shiner. Leaving their tail so it flaps when jigged.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

Offline redneckfisherman5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Slow day on the lake, got on for about 3 hours to test out my new aqau vu mopod3 to rotate my camera , short story short is that thing works slick! Managed to see 7 lakers in 45fow didn't want to bite anything just eat chum. Hope tomorrow will be better
Trout -the real pink meat

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #184 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Lol....CH picked her handle waaaay back when we only had 4 people in the Circus. We never thought it would get any bigger. She and Taint were going back and forth trying to come up with handles (she named Taint actually). She wanted something that would make any man cringe and even fearful of saying something like that to a woman's face. 99.9% of any man can't bring themselves to say it as we have been genetically trained through life that is the worst of the worst.

It all started one crowded Christmas shopping night. For every action there is a reaction. At the time, i was always curious about reactions to different actions so i decided to see what would happen. I grabbed something off the shelf and from a distance i merrily hollered out "Hey CH can it get this?".
I think there were 2 guys that laughed out loud. The rest of the store went silent night on me with Eyes from every female throwing daggers directly at my face. Most guys looked terrified. Some guys even walked away from their spouses not wanting to see me get dismembered.
CH thought that was the funniest thing. She ran up to the other isle and begged me to do it again....there was no way i was gonna do that. Turns out i didn't really care for the reaction i got.
CH has always had a interesting humor bone. She has too, she puts up with me. The day that i asked her mother permission to marry her daughter, I promised her mother that i would make her laugh every day in return. I've kept my promise for over 30 years.
CH says words don't hurt, call her whatever, say whatever it doesn't matter however punch her in the face, now that hurts. She's not sensitive to words. So the meaning of CH can be anything you want it to be. She's ok with that. 99.9% of everyone calls her CH for short.

In the Newfound Circus, We've always said from the beginning that you can't change your handle once its written on the board. You can't be several different people, it would be too hard to tell who is who. It's the only time you can name yourself in this life (or Circus), your parents did if for you originally. Now you get a crack at it. CH didn't do so good and Because of the rough nature of the handle, Years ago we gave her the option of changing it. I was thinking something like Pookie, Dragon Fly, Butter Cup or even Cooter, etc...something nice. I can't tell you what her next choice was but we decided better to leave it at CH. Turns out we aren't really mature enough to give handles so don't ask for our suggestions if you don't have one and wanna join the Circus. Best to come up with something yourself. It's for life.

All i can say is i say it to her with Love and Kindness from my heart. Never in a condensing or mean way. Never angry. Not only is she a dream come true for a wife and life partner, best mother i could ask for to my kids, fantastic grandmother, really good person and pretty good at catching lakers plus fun to watch, She's my best friend.

So how many of you out there can:
1). Punch a woman and get away with it (we play a miss a trout, you get punched in the arm game in the Circus)
2). Call your wife CH to her face
3). Live to tell about it

Life's good.

I hope this helps?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Awesome story Jiggin!
You got a good one there...on another note, I was thinking about what "CH" might have meant and of course "THAT ONE" crossed my mind but I also know of something else we used to call a "CH" back in the days when I was a biker...
The earlier Harley Davidson Sportster's kick start model designation was the XLCH and it was fondly known throughout the biker world as a"CH"
I was thinking maybe YOUR CH possibly was a biker chick and her nickname was after that kick start Sportster...
Now I know different but that thought crossed my mind...
Thanks for the explanation!
And thanks for the cusk tips too...like to try my hand at them some time...do you jig for them at night?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Yes, thank you jiggin. Again, great thread, and great story.

Never, in a million years, would I have guessed that. Probably something to do with genetics.

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Here's a short video....

I really enjoyed that Jiggin.  Hope to meet you someday out there if I make it back.  Seems like real slow ice fishing compared to winters past up on Lake Sebago I've experienced.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Yep.. great vid, Jiggin. Kudos on the sound track also.
Still very happy with the argo?

I knew what your lovely wife's handle meant. The story behind it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.  @)
The best thing IMO, is that you're best friends!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #189 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:49 AM »
Chachi?
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Fished yesterday, figuring with the incoming weather the bite would be on. Not so much. Had fish in the camera all day, but no bites. They just kept cruising by not interested in any offerings. Stayed in today rather than chance the roads. Going to reseason the griddle and maybe get some flies tied up for the spring.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #191 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:29 AM »
Chachi?

LOL. I'm still cracking up. Too funny!

I see 2 "CH's" in that.

It was funny when she told our kids what her handle is. Of course they are all grown up (more so than Us). Grand kids don't know yet. We'll have that discussion later.

Offline beerhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:25 PM »
now thats funny jiggin and even earned a few brownie points there.checked houses tonight lt,tippin,scruffy,psycos,jiggintwice as there are two houses,ladybug and jonsey all high and dry will check again towards end of week

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #193 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Thanks Beerhog.

I forgot to mention i was out last night and ripped out my old stove and put in a single burner in the Girls Girls Girls house. Couldn't get a decent flame out of the old stove, time to retire it.

Checked on houses too and all seem high and dry. Tippin was out checking too. Bumped into Dragin on his way out after a day on the ice.

Offline PortaJohnBobHouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Thinking of making the trip up for Saturday morning. Where would be a good place to find parking. I have never been to this lake before. Wellington park? I will be walking with my portable and gas auger, I am young so don't mind a hike. Looking forward to getting out on this lake.

Thanks all!

-Jon

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #195 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Thinking of making the trip up for Saturday morning. Where would be a good place to find parking. I have never been to this lake before. Wellington park? I will be walking with my portable and gas auger, I am young so don't mind a hike. Looking forward to getting out on this lake.

Thanks all!

-Jon

Hi PortaJohnBobHouse, Wellington boat launch has no safe ice at the moment. I dont know what it looks like off the beach but there is plenty of parking at Wellington (due to lack of ice). Again, not sure about the beach area. The boat launch is unsafe.

You can park at and walk out from:

Cummings Beach, fish along the shore line for rainbows or deeper water for lakers.
Foot of the lake (south end, first right at the bottom of the hill after the chapel) for both Rainbows and Lakers in shallow water.
Pike's Cove, across from Hemlock Brook road (go straight past the chapel about 2 miles or so on the left hand side. If you go to Newfound Grocery store, you've gone way too far).

Other than that, not sure where else.

The ice has been less than stellar so far this season.

Hope this helps.

Offline PortaJohnBobHouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Hi PortaJohnBobHouse, Wellington boat launch has no safe ice at the moment. I dont know what it looks like off the beach but there is plenty of parking at Wellington (due to lack of ice). Again, not sure about the beach area. The boat launch is unsafe.

You can park at and walk out from:

Cummings Beach, fish along the shore line for rainbows or deeper water for lakers.
Foot of the lake (south end, first right at the bottom of the hill after the chapel) for both Rainbows and Lakers in shallow water.
Pike's Cove, across from Hemlock Brook road (go straight past the chapel about 2 miles or so on the left hand side. If you go to Newfound Grocery store, you've gone way too far).

Other than that, not sure where else.

The ice has been less than stellar so far this season.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. This helps a lot. I really appreciate it.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:29 PM »
1/25/17
The wife (no handle yet) and I gave the post-storm bite a go today.
We got out just after sunrise and did some inside work on the new hard side (shelves)
The day was very windy and raw and my hands got so cold putting out traps that I quit after 2.
Set up the Marcum on its new eye-level shelf and commenced to jigging.
Saw a few cruising lakers and one lazy chum picker throughout the morning then had one hanging around for a pretty good amount of time in early afternoon with no hookups.
Tried all of my jigs with and without cut bait...nothing doing.
Can't wait to bump the house north when the ice allows if just to see a different bottom landscape.
Still fun and beats the workaday life by leaps and bounds!
Probably be back at it tomorrow...

Offline fishnewengland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #198 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Out yesterday morning before first light
No dice
Fished from 6:30 - 10:30 with real flags- couple of false alarms due to the gusting wind..
Tried shiners on one tip up and eggs on another.
In close, out farther/deeper. No fish
Tried jigging a bit with no hits (no flasher or camera so not sure if I was getting looks or not)
Put out some cusk lines to soak overnight- checked em this morning and two had missing bait but no ling cod burbot cusk!
Was hoping to have fried fish for breakfast but had Dunkin instead lol

Gonna try it this afternoon or tomorrow morn with smelt and see what happens
“Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.” -EH-

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #199 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:11 PM »
1/26/17
Good day today!
Lakers on the camera basically all day from 8am to 2:30 pm (off and on)
Landed a 19" laker on a tipup at 11:30 am and then later on I thought I'd try the shoreline for a rainbow...drilled one hole and dropped 5 eggs down in 2-3 FOW went back and checked about 10 minutes later and 4 eggs were gone. Moved a tipup with shiner over to that hole and not 15 minutes later had a flag...sure enough, something was running toward the deeper water...I picked up the line and felt a nice heavy fish on the line...started pulling it in slowly and turns out it was a chew and screw...maybe I should have let it run longer?
Anyway, the shiner was mauled so I got some eggs on the hook and reset.
within a half hour a flag...ran over and saw the line heading out to deeper water again...this time I let it run more but after a bit I picked up the line and felt the fish again.
Played it slowly to the hole (where it didn't want to go) and finally got it's head to come through.

I know it's not a big deal to some of you out there but this was my first try at rainbows through the ice...I got a nice fat 17 incher!

I think from now on I'll have a shallow trap set!

Offline fishnewengland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Nice work Mowbizz!

I got the big ole skunk today.
At one point I put a $20 bill on a Gamagatsu hook and sent it down the hole but still couldn't buy a bite : (

My schedule today got fumbled so I didn't get out until 11:30 and fished until 3 with no flags.
Had smelt on close to shore and also one deep in 35' FOW- no love from either species
Moved around working different depths and shorelines every 45 min or so.

Gonna give it a try early tomorrow and switch to a new spot and see what happens.

“Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.” -EH-

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Nice work Mowbizz!

I got the big ole skunk today.
At one point I put a $20 bill on a Gamagatsu hook and sent it down the hole but still couldn't buy a bite : (

My schedule today got fumbled so I didn't get out until 11:30 and fished until 3 with no flags.
Had smelt on close to shore and also one deep in 35' FOW- no love from either species
Moved around working different depths and shorelines every 45 min or so.

Gonna give it a try early tomorrow and switch to a new spot and see what happens.

Thanks! Probably never happen again!   :o
Gotta keep tryin' !
I still can't seem to get one on the jigs...

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Nice job mowbizz. That rainbow sounds like a nice fish! Here is a link for instructions on posting pictures. Everyone hates Photobucket now (although it works fine for me), and seem to have switched to IMGUR.com or something like that.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Nice job mowbizz. That rainbow sounds like a nice fish! Here is a link for instructions on posting pictures. Everyone hates Photobucket now (although it works fine for me), and seem to have switched to IMGUR.com or something like that.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Thanks! I did a search and figured it out, amazingly. ???
I forgot I had a photobucket account but it seems VERY slow.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #204 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:39 PM »
1/26/17

I know it's not a big deal to some of you out there but this was my first try at rainbows through the ice...I got a nice fat 17 incher!

I think from now on I'll have a shallow trap set!

That's a great looking fish, welcome to rainbow fishing. I always try to have a shallow trap in.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #205 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Nice rainbow....congrats on your first
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:36 PM »
That's a great looking fish, welcome to rainbow fishing. I always try to have a shallow trap in.

Thanks! It was fun to catch and I will be trying for more!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Nice rainbow....congrats on your first

Thanks!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #208 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Nice work Mobizz, definitely deserve it as you put in the time. Thanks for the story and pic.

Newfound has some nice rainbows for sure. FnG has done a nice job over the years. Stick with it and you'll be yanking up Lakers too in no time.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Nice work Mobizz, definitely deserve it as you put in the time. Thanks for the story and pic.

Newfound has some nice rainbows for sure. FnG has done a nice job over the years. Stick with it and you'll be yanking up Lakers too in no time.

Thanks Jiggin!
I'm getting there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.