Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93243 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #150 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:09 PM »
1/19/2017

Got out of work a little early today to get a tooth extracted. Turns out that wasn't much fun actually.

Tippin, Laker Taker and I took a ride tonight when i got home on our sleds around the lake to check on houses. All are high and dry, good work people!

Saw Ladybug out there getting her house (Laker Taker's old house) all set up after we pulled it out there the other night. She's all excited, good for her.

Beerhog came out for a bit too to check on things.

Saw Dragin out there getting ready to come in. Scruffy was in the parking lot when we got there getting ready to go home. Busy night on the lake...good night for it too. Cool but not cold, snow on the lake. no wind. Fun ride.

Now to nurse this hole in my jaw.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:17 AM »
 Newfound Laker number two 😄 on the ice!
 Same hole as yesterday on the tip up with a big smelt from AJ's
 Just after 10 AM
 Wish I could hook up on the jig but I'll take it!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #152 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Hit my favorite spot today and found about 5" of ice in 40 fow. Caught an average 18" rainbow and 21" laker in 3 fow but I didn't find the pile of lakers I found 2 years ago  ??? Still don't understand why 2 years ago I killed them every time I went and then last year and so far this year they are gone.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Hit my favorite spot today and found about 5" of ice in 40 fow. Caught an average 18" rainbow and 21" laker in 3 fow but I didn't find the pile of lakers I found 2 years ago  ??? Still don't understand why 2 years ago I killed them every time I went and then last year and so far this year they are gone.

I'm running into the same situation with one of my favorite spots (albeit a different lake) but this is interesting.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #154 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:26 PM »
I'm running into the same situation with one of my favorite spots (albeit a different lake) but this is interesting.
It honestly makes no sense. 2 years ago I caught a minimum of 8 fish each time I went (5 or 6 trips) then last year I caught 5 once, then it was usually 1 or 2 each trip. For about one year I thought I had the best spot on the lake  ::)

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:23 PM »
It honestly makes no sense. 2 years ago I caught a minimum of 8 fish each time I went (5 or 6 trips) then last year I caught 5 once, then it was usually 1 or 2 each trip. For about one year I thought I had the best spot on the lake  ::)

Find the Forage and Find the Fish.
Newfound isn't what it used to be for Rainbows. Back in 2008-2011 You would see alot of 3.5 to 5lb fish
Now the average is 16-20" and 2-3.5lbs with anything bigger being rare.

I know You've worked with the Biologists Ive volunteered with at F&G. Talk to them about the lake and they can explain a little more in detail about some things that have changed as far as the Rainbows there. Otherwise lakes will cycle out every few years and areas that would produce slow down while others get better.  Also Remember what I mentioned about Rainbows once they are 3-4yo.

Main thing is to find different areas with good potential and try them out. A Big part of my success out there has been fishing multiple locations around the lake and Always having options. The conditions are always different. Eventually You figure it what works and when/why. Ive done this on dozens of lakes/ponds.

You know I target bigger Holdover trout (4+lbers) they are alot fewer and farther between these days. Alot of that I honestly feel has to do with the internet. Alot more places recieve alot more pressure than they used to and simply dont recover as quickly. So I am constantly trying new places in search of new hot spots.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #156 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Find the Forage and Find the Fish.
Newfound isn't what it used to be for Rainbows. Back in 2008-2011 You would see alot of 3.5 to 5lb fish
Now the average is 16-20" and 2-3.5lbs with anything bigger being rare.

I know You've worked with the Biologists Ive volunteered with at F&G. Talk to them about the lake and they can explain a little more in detail about some things that have changed as far as the Rainbows there. Otherwise lakes will cycle out every few years and areas that would produce slow down while others get better.  Also Remember what I mentioned about Rainbows once they are 3-4yo.

Main thing is to find different areas with good potential and try them out. A Big part of my success out there has been fishing multiple locations around the lake and Always having options. The conditions are always different. Eventually You figure it what works and when/why. Ive done this on dozens of lakes/ponds.

You know I target bigger Holdover trout (4+lbers) they are alot fewer and farther between these days. Alot of that I honestly feel has to do with the internet. Alot more places recieve alot more pressure than they used to and simply dont recover as quickly. So I am constantly trying new places in search of new hot spots.
I was referring to lake trout. They did tell me to find the bait but I still am having a hard time figuring that out lol. Once I can get my ranger out there hopefully the tide will change

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I was referring to lake trout. They did tell me to find the bait but I still am having a hard time figuring that out lol. Once I can get my ranger out there hopefully the tide will change

Although I primarily fish Rainbows/Browns... That applies to both. Spots dry up after a few years. It's always good to have several options/spots.

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:35 PM »
I drove 115 miles to AJs for suckers and smelt this morning and then around 18 to Cummings Beach.  Fished from 9am to 1:30 pm and got the skunk.  Moved around jigging with the flasher with one rod out in an Indian Hill thing.   Moved around fished a lot of the 40 foot depths the big line of shacks were at. Also tried 30 feet and ended the day at the 60 foot hole out there.  Saw one guy get a 19" laker next to the parking lot in 10 FOW on a shiner on a tip-up.  Maybe I should have fished the shoreline.   Definitely not a fishy place to fish.  When I was leaving I saw a Toyota Tundra with a covered trailer for snow machines with the license plate "JIGGIN".  Was wondering if that was the Jiggin on this thread.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #159 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I drove 115 miles to AJs for suckers and smelt this morning and then around 18 to Cummings Beach.  Fished from 9am to 1:30 pm and got the skunk.  Moved around jigging with the flasher with one rod out in an Indian Hill thing.   Moved around fished a lot of the 40 foot depths the big line of shacks were at. Also tried 30 feet and ended the day at the 60 foot hole out there.  Saw one guy get a 19" laker next to the parking lot in 10 FOW on a shiner on a tip-up.  Maybe I should have fished the shoreline.   Definitely not a fishy place to fish.  When I was leaving I saw a Toyota Tundra with a covered trailer for snow machines with the license plate "JIGGIN".  Was wondering if that was the Jiggin on this thread.
Ima tell you right now, I hate cummings beach. I never have any luck there besides for some obese yellow perch. The few lakers that are there are likely heavily pressured due to the 20+ houses out there. That's just me though  ;)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #160 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:28 PM »
1/20/17

With my jaw still pounding from the tooth extraction, instead of staying home nursing it decided to launch my other (old one...Girls Girls Girls) bob house. Not sure where this idea came from but it made sense at the time and I have some relatives that are looking forward to doing some ice fishing this season. Went well and appreciated the hand Dragin at Cummings Beach.

After getting the old bob house set up decided to take the new one (Log Cabin) to another location. Left my jack up blocks and tie downs and will come back on Sunday when done fishing to tie back down to the thicker ice. Got set up around Dusk and started cusk fishing. Ended the evening with 5 cusk.

Night was unbelievable weather wise. Perfect for sleeping out in. Warm but the ice was staying crusty. Zero wind. Hated to go home. Laker Taker ended staying out quite late.

1/21/2017

Got to the lake early and started setting up. Lush stopped by before heading out to find himself a spot. Right away spring line (motivator goes off) but nobody home, This happened 3 more times until i finally got a laker. Jigged up a nice small mouth bass shortly after on a perch bucktail with cut bait. Then CH came out and basically shut me down. She ended up with 5 lakers and losing 2 at the hole. This pretty much puts her ahead of me for the season....guess I'm gonna need to take a couple of days off to get caught up.

Flew the drone today. The ice off the boat launch is junk. The main part of the lake looks horrible. Holes everywhere and dark gray ice. We need some cold weather.

Tomorrow another day but bringing the bob house back to where it was before the storm comes in. Moving back to thicker ice.......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #161 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:39 PM »
When I was leaving I saw a Toyota Tundra with a covered trailer for snow machines with the license plate "JIGGIN".  Was wondering if that was the Jiggin on this thread.

Yes it is me.

Sorry to hear it didn't go good for you. Sounds like you hit all the right spots. Maybe should of gone for rainbow too along the shoreline?

Cummings Beach is usually pretty good first ice then dies out due to the pressure I'm sure. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been cooperating too good so far this season keeping everyone locked in that area. There were a couple of very productive spots today though with folks getting several lakers today. I wasn't one of them but i witnessed quite a few.
I think the day ended with:
Toadie with 1 (25"....kidding)
Troutfreak w/ 6
Maggot w/ 4
CH w/ 5
Laker Taker w/ 3
Beerhog w/ 1 or 2
Me w/ 1 and a small mouth bass (they don't count though)
Lush with 4
Ladybug w/ 1...her first this season and jigged it up in her new house breaking it's H
Jones w/ 1
Psycho w/ 1 nice rainbow...(they don't count either but sorta but not really)

Thats all i can remember at the moment.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Ima tell you right now, I hate cummings beach. I never have any luck there besides for some obese yellow perch. The few lakers that are there are likely heavily pressured due to the 20+ houses out there. That's just me though  ;)

The reason for all the houses there is because it's a convenient place for them to launch early ice. Most of the lake doesn't catch/freeze until later in the season so they all start down there at the south end of Mayhew. As the lake freezes they continue to move North and disperse to their own locations.

I've actually caught and seen other people catch some decent Rainbows and Lakers on that end of the lake. Some days are just slower than others

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Is the north end still wide open?
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:22 AM »

For all  practical purposes, wide open...really the only safe ice is the southern end. Most of the northern part has some skim/slush snow covered ice but definitely not accessible yet.
This was observed only by driving by the lake on 3A where you get views of larger northern parts. There are a couple of houses near the shore in the "coves"

See the posts by "jiggin" as he has his finger on the pulse of the lake and reports on conditions pretty much daily.

With the upcoming warmer weather conditions/rain will only slide back i'm afraid. We need some C-O-L-D!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #165 on: Jan 22, 2017, 12:09 PM »

Yes it is. Fished with a friend who usually fishes in Hebron and he said it was still wide open with some slushy areas. :%$#!:

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Jan 22, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Wonderful  >:(
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #167 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:46 AM »
Had an awesome long weekend on the ice. My son came up Wed. night and we fished Thursday and Friday. Nothing on Thursday, two lakers for me Friday and two perch for him. Uncle Toadie joined in on Sat. One laker for him and Sonny. I finally iced a descent perch. Hand fish in the camera most of the time out there. Heading back out today.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Yes it is. Fished with a friend who usually fishes in Hebron and he said it was still wide open with some slushy areas. :%$#!:

Captain is the ship still in dry dock?

Has anyone seen Guinea?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #169 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:59 AM »
1/22/2017

Got to the house early and managed to pull up a laker before CH came out.

Quiet day, overcast. Saw lakers all day but not interested really. Kept going back and forth between CH and I.

At the end of the day, pulled the bob house back to where it was in Grants cove and retied it back down to the ice.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #170 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Here's a short video....

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #171 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Jiggin do you ever get any bigger cusk out of newfound? My friend fishes it and only gets smaller ones, but I have heard that some pretty big ones occasionally come out of there.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Captain is the ship still in dry dock?

Has anyone seen Guinea?

Hope to have favorable winds to fill the sails next weekend.  @)   As for Guinea, I think she's in the witness protection program. ;)

Jiggin do you ever get any bigger cusk out of newfound? My friend fishes it and only gets smaller ones, but I have heard that some pretty big ones occasionally come out of there.

I'm not Jiggin (who is?) but yes there are bigger cusk in Newfound. We've caught an occasional 22-24 incher in the past but usually on overnight cusk lines. There have been a few good ones caught this year(not by us).

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #173 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:06 AM »

I'm not Jiggin (who is?) but yes there are bigger cusk in Newfound. We've caught an occasional 22-24 incher in the past but usually on overnight cusk lines. There have been a few good ones caught this year(not by us).
I was just asking Jiggin because he seems to know a lot and usually gives a quick informative answer. Not that you can't do that either Capt. Black  ;)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #174 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:35 AM »

Yes there are some really nice cusk in Newfound. I have some pictures from the past few years. Last Friday night I jigged up 5 but they were all under 18" (still fun though), they hit much differently than Lakers.

With that said, there are a ton of little ones too. I put those ones back for the future. You gotta pick through the little ones to get to the bigger ones.

Offline Live2Fishnh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Jiggin, I am new to cusk fishing. Is there anywhere right now that is frozen that anyone recommends to catch some decent cusk I have 6 lines out now at Pikes Point at the south end but the spot went dead I caught 2 out of there in 2 days now the fish are gone. I cooked the first one I caught. Now I just want to keep catching more. By far the best tasting freshwater fish I have ever eaten.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:47 PM »
1/23/17
Made it out for half a day with the wife today...set out 3 tip ups with smelt and jigging inside...no flags and had a couple of lakers being a bit aggressive on a spoon I had on but didn't hook up.
Spent some time setting up the house with a shelf and finding the best layout for 2 people and a Springer Spaniel.
Wife thought the camera was awesome...just nice being out there!
Have to see what this Nor'easter brings overnight...

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Jiggin,
this very well may be a stupid question, but.... what does CH's handle stand for or is it simply CH? I've been following the circus for two years now, and I cannot find it anywhere?

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:31 PM »
I was just asking Jiggin because he seems to know a lot and usually gives a quick informative answer. Not that you can't do that either Capt. Black  ;)

Awe shucks, not a problem. Your welcome.  :woot:

Jiggin,
this very well may be a stupid question, but.... what does CH's handle stand for or is it simply CH? I've been following the circus for two years now, and I cannot find it anywhere?

Can't wait to read this answer.   >:D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Jan 23, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Jiggin,

Ya Jiggin what does it stand for?   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.