Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93242 times)

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #120 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Hi circus people.   Nice thread and videos.  I live a 100 miles south in Massachusetts and need to try jigging up a laker.  Has been a few years since I managed some on Sebago.  Is The Trading Post in Bristol  the best place to get some suckers this upcoming Saturday morning  I can fillet to tip my jigs with, or should I drive out of the way to AJs?  Thanks and  Good luck out there.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #121 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:31 AM »
I'm not sure if they have suckers but guessing so. I personally would go to AJ's myself. Best to call ahead both locations.

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:44 AM »
Hi circus people.   Nice thread and videos.  I live a 100 miles south in Massachusetts and need to try jigging up a laker.  Has been a few years since I managed some on Sebago.  Is The Trading Post in Bristol  the best place to get some suckers this upcoming Saturday morning  I can fillet to tip my jigs with, or should I drive out of the way to AJs?  Thanks and  Good luck out there.

Thank you I respect your advice as you do catch fish and do a lot for your friends there.  I will see if I can borrow a phone to say hello pn 5.5 on Saturday.   Hope its not too slushy so I can drag my plastic sled around.  I plan on moving every 15 minutes per hole until I get lucky.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #123 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:51 AM »
Thank you I respect your advice as you do catch fish and do a lot for your friends there.  I will see if I can borrow a phone to say hello pn 5.5 on Saturday.   Hope its not too slushy so I can drag my plastic sled around.  I plan on moving every 15 minutes per hole until I get lucky.

Going for lakers? If so, I would move every 30 if no bite, 45 if bite.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #124 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:12 AM »
I will see if I can borrow a phone to say hello pn 5.5 on Saturday.   

FYI, It's not a phone but a radio Motorola walkie talking.

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:57 AM »
FYI, It's not a phone but a radio Motorola walkie talking.

Sorry I meant two-way radio.   I can use one from work that's a cheap Uniden but only channels 1-22 in whole numbers.   Guess that wouldn't work.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #126 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Sorry I meant two-way radio.   I can use one from work that's a cheap Uniden but only channels 1-22 in whole numbers.   Guess that wouldn't work.

Unfortunately that won't work....it will receive communication however you will not be able to talk. Must have whole numbers and a smaller number too.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:22 AM »
 Got my first newfound Laker today at noon time 😀
On the tip up outside with a large shiner in 50 FOW off the bottom.
Saw 4 on the camera  throughout the morning  but they were just cruising.
Now to jig one up!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:23 AM »
I'm not sure if they have suckers but guessing so. I personally would go to AJ's myself. Best to call ahead both locations.

Trading Post does have suckers...all sizes.

Offline redneckfisherman5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Now to jig one up!
 Great to hear mowbizz! Been waiting to see this post from you! Was going to stop by today to see if you were having any luck but I had to much stuff to do, tight lines now jig one up🎣
Trout -the real pink meat

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #130 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Now to jig one up!

Good for you Mowbizz, well deserved as your putting in the time. Congrats to you!

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Now to jig one up!

Great job!!!
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks!
« Reply #132 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:07 PM »
 Great to hear mowbizz! Been waiting to see this post from you! Was going to stop by today to see if you were having any luck but I had to much stuff to do, tight lines now jig one up🎣

Thanks Brad !
 It was bound to happen sooner or later!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Good for you Mowbizz, well deserved as your putting in the time. Congrats to you!

Thank you jiggin!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #134 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:13 PM »
So Tippin is out checking the ice today and low and behold some DUMBARSE(s) had chucked a bunch of rocks out off the boat launch to check the ice.

We'll have to clean this up later.

Just in case you don't know or understand, The problem is that these rocks will heat up and create holes possibly making access difficult or dangerous. Especially near the launch. The launch area due to the concrete slabs tend to warm up and create havoc getting on and off the lake in March. We try to persevere this for as long into the season as possible so that we can use this area for launching and removing houses at the end of the season. We dont need any help with additional rocks being thrown on the ice. Also suxs hitting them with your sled or ATV when they are frozen in.

We are extremely fortunate to have access here and even more fortunate that there are no bubblers or pillars to deal with either this season. Only Dumbarse folks that wanna check the ice with rocks.

Should anyone see someone chucking rocks out onto the ice, you should stop them.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Too bad...Looks like it's just starting to set up there...
Is this something that happens every year?

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Hi guys.
How is the ice looking at the beach side of the state park? Have been on newfound for a few years but have never hard water fished it. Looking forward to first time out this weekend. Wanted to try to get away from the pack of ice shacks out there. any safe ice info would be helpfull.
I have been reading your posts for years and have finally joined. Thanks for the years of reading. Good luck to all!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Hi guys.
How is the ice looking at the beach side of the state park? Have been on newfound for a few years but have never hard water fished it. Looking forward to first time out this weekend. Wanted to try to get away from the pack of ice shacks out there. any safe ice info would be helpfull.
I have been reading your posts for years and have finally joined. Thanks for the years of reading. Good luck to all!

I saw a car parked at the beach side access a week or more ago but I couldn't see through the trees to tell if anyone was on the ice...sorry!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:52 PM »
The good part of this snow is that it shows where the questionable ice is, and there is a lot of it on the big part of the lake...I only did a drive by , and did not check thickness, but the beach area had a few wet spots......PLEASE BRING YOUR CHISEL and check as you go...
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Thanks Guys.

I will check as I go. Not my first rodeo on the ice, but it is on this lake. Grew up ice fishing some big lakes in Maine. Was hoping the beach would produce a cusk or two and maybe a laker in the deeper water... If i can get there.

If thats no good i will be joining the rest of you guys on the safe ice. Where is the access spot at the south end of the lake? Both camps i have access to are around walumat beach..... dont think i want to venture on there judging by the picture above...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Thanks Guys.

I will check as I go. Not my first rodeo on the ice, but it is on this lake. Grew up ice fishing some big lakes in Maine. Was hoping the beach would produce a cusk or two and maybe a laker in the deeper water... If i can get there.

If thats no good i will be joining the rest of you guys on the safe ice. Where is the access spot at the south end of the lake? Both camps i have access to are around walumat beach..... dont think i want to venture on there judging by the picture above...

Cummings beach on West shore Rd  or anywhere along Shore Drive where the BIG CATCH restaurant is...all good ice.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Boy oh boy the wind is really whipping up the last hour or so!
Glad I'm inside!
Flurry of 3 lakers came in tearing up the chum at 2:30 - 3:00
My jig hit one on the back and he left quick!

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Stopped at the park on Mon and happened to speak to a gentleman about just that. Showed him how and what a chisel was for, he was not impressed and said rock showed him as much and didn't cost anything. What can I say... Can't fix stupid.
I wouldn't trust the ice I saw 1 hit and threw. Stretch of open water out where ridge has been past couple years. This was Mon, don't think it's changed much but....
Good luck, stay safe

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Do you need a permit to park in the lot at Cummings Beach and do you think there will be spaces this Saturday around 9am?   It is a 120 mile drive for me.  Thanks guys, hopr to meet some of you.  Unlike a lot of fishermen,  I love lake trout.

Offline outdoorslife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Did the rest of the lake finally skim over?!?! Hows the bay doing with the snow? Did it stick or blow away? Debating of bring the sled for a rip

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Stopped at the park on Mon and happened to speak to a gentleman about just that. Showed him how and what a chisel was for, he was not impressed and said rock showed him as much and didn't cost anything. What can I say... Can't fix stupid.
I wouldn't trust the ice I saw 1 hit and threw. Stretch of open water out where ridge has been past couple years. This was Mon, don't think it's changed much but....
Good luck, stay safe

JRA good to see you back.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Do you need a permit to park in the lot at Cummings Beach and do you think there will be spaces this Saturday around 9am?   It is a 120 mile drive for me.  Thanks guys, hopr to meet some of you.  Unlike a lot of fishermen,  I love lake trout.

I don't have a permit and as far as I know you don't need one...weekends are a challenge in early season so, as they say, YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Jiggin... You mentioned a Newfound Circus Facebook page... What is the name of it? I searched and can't find it. Keeps bringing me to some acting group called the Newfound Circus.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #148 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Jiggin... You mentioned a Newfound Circus Facebook page... What is the name of it? I searched and can't find it. Keeps bringing me to some acting group called the Newfound Circus.

That might be us! :) Kidding.

I believe it is a Private page...I don't even have my own Face Book as CH says I'm way too immature. She's probably right. I use her FB but only allowed to go into the Newfound Circus page otherwise i tend to muck stuff up by hitting the wrong buttons etc....

Troutfreak is our admin. He has all the rules etc...they just let me play there.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #149 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:01 PM »

No permit required. There are 2 parking lots there. The main one and a upper one. Should be plenty of parking for you at 9 am.

Safe drive man, that's a long haul. Hope you get into them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.