Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93061 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #690 on: Nov 01, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Very tough trapping season.

High waters due to rain didn't help at all. Our cages are ok from what i can tell but the traps are a different story. Most likely washed down the river so we will need to do a search operation once the water recedes. Water was pretty high and fast yesterday so best to stay off it.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #691 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Very tough trapping season.

High waters due to rain didn't help at all. Our cages are ok from what i can tell but the traps are a different story. Most likely washed down the river so we will need to do a search operation once the water recedes. Water was pretty high and fast yesterday so best to stay off it.
could not believe the water level of the MM today in concord, all ponds / backwaters connected are flooded too
Salmonemia

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #692 on: Nov 04, 2017, 07:40 AM »
11/01/2017

Air temp was 46F, it's getting chilly. We went out after work and was able to retrieve 1 of the 6 traps. One of mine is caught on bottom, we tried to free it up with no luck. Stuck on a tree or something. Need to wait till the water drops. It already dropped about 2' or so but its still dirty (can't see 1-2 feet below the surface) and trees / debris all up and down the river. Took a good ride tonight on the boat with no signs of the other traps. We'll wait for now.....

Almost time to go back out and do it again.......probably tomorrow.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #693 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:07 AM »
Wow! That storm has far reaching consequences...some no one would even think about. Damage is widespread...good luck finding your stuff!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #694 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jiggin.
You're in good company with a lot of lobstamen.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #695 on: Nov 07, 2017, 05:29 PM »
11/07/2017

Some good news tonight.
We were able to recover one of my traps from the river. It was the one stuck on a tree below the surface. Finally the water is starting to clear up and we were able to see it was stuck on what looked like an old rope swing tree ladder. A 2x4 nailed to a tree that must of fallen. Nothing in it only a bunch of leaves and mud.
Rinsed if off, cleaned it up, reloaded it and put it back out in another spot. We are still down 4 traps but at least we're back in the game...somewhat.
Spitting snow, 37F air temp and 47 water temp. Dark out tonight.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #696 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:18 AM »
that's great you got one back... I loose eel traps every year. Problem is they get stolen...hopefully you find the others..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #697 on: Nov 11, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Thanks to Laker Taker, i got a new trap frame. Wrapped it today and will send it out tomorrow morning. I think this may be the last week for trapping by the looks of the weather. A big push this week.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #698 on: Nov 12, 2017, 12:12 PM »
11/13/2017

Laker Taker and I went out this morning (Tippin's in California). We had to break through some thin ice with the boat to get to our cages. River is freezing up. We moved the cages and re-set our traps. 28F out this morning but didn't have the fish finder so couldn't tell water temp.
Looking to pull our cages out this week and put them in the box.

Im ready to be done with trapping, time to move onto other projects.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #699 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:38 AM »
11/14/2017

Went out after work and removed our traps from the river. Trapping is all done for us. A very bad season.....i ended up with 5 suckers and Laker Taker & Tippin didn't end up with too many more unfortunately.

Next need to put in our bait boxes (after work tonight) and bring home our cages / suckers.

Try again next season......

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #700 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:19 AM »
Oh man, gonna be paying for suckers like the rest of us suckers. That sucks.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #701 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Yup. Unfortunately won't be sharing any this season either.

Sorry to those in advance.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #702 on: Nov 15, 2017, 02:21 PM »
That said...where is the best (cheapest) place to buy them? I have gotten them from AJ’s the Newfound Trading Post and the place up 3A a ways with the gas pumps out front...(name escapes me)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #703 on: Nov 15, 2017, 03:06 PM »
I don't know but they don't seem to be cheap anywhere I have found. I've been fishing Winnisquam the past few years so I usually buy them at the Winni market there at the Mosquito bridge and they were $6 ea last season for the small ones. Martels wasn't really any cheaper.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #704 on: Nov 15, 2017, 05:38 PM »
I usually buy one then I cut a chunk like Jiggin showed me then fish with that (jigging) most of the day with that...if I change lures I cut a new chunk. Can the lakers be turned off by cut bait that is not fresh fresh?
I have yet to catch one by jigging but do get them on tipups with smelt or shiners.
I usually keep the dead sucker outside frozen and use that the next time...
Should I be using more fresh cut sucker during the day and get another live one next outing? I am new to jigging cut sucker bait...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #705 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:04 AM »
11/15/2017

Laker Taker, Tippin and I put out our bait boxes. Got them pretty much secured and now need to go get our suckers and put them in the box. Thats the plan for Thursday evening.

Then i can put away my motor and battery and later this weekend we can put away the boat / cover it etc....almost done.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #706 on: Nov 16, 2017, 07:16 AM »
I usually buy one then I cut a chunk like Jiggin showed me then fish with that (jigging) most of the day with that...if I change lures I cut a new chunk. Can the lakers be turned off by cut bait that is not fresh fresh?
I have yet to catch one by jigging but do get them on tipups with smelt or shiners.
I usually keep the dead sucker outside frozen and use that the next time...
Should I be using more fresh cut sucker during the day and get another live one next outing? I am new to jigging cut sucker bait...

Mowbizz,

I like to use fresh sucker meat each day i fish for lakers. I fillet the whole sucker and not cut chunks off when needed. That way if i loose a piece or need a fresh piece or change lures, they are cut up and ready for my wife and I.
I try to use the entire sucker for either cut bait or chum, the eggs, grind up the carcass sometimes, any pieces of meat i dont cut out as part of the fillet. I dont use the guts. If I dont grind up the carcass i chuck it out onto the ice for the eagle, osprey or other birds to pick at. Keep the cut bait at cold temp but not freezing. Typically on the floor of a bob house on a cutting board works.

I DONT let it freeze (becomes mushy) and if fishing outside and cold, i will keep the pieces in a baggie and keep that inside my jacket to prevent freezing. Always cover the tip or point of your hook with the meat.
The next day i put on a piece from yesterdays sucker in order to get my line down quickly which buys me time to fillet another sucker for fresh meat, then switch over to a fresh piece. I use yesterdays sucker meat for chum or feeding the birds. Works for cusk fishing and cusk lines as well.

Try to get the biggest sucker you can (afford) as the meat will be thicker. The little ones have skinny meat on them and not much of it. I suppose if using a small jig the smaller suckers might work but i typically use a 1oz buck tail or kastmaster, something that gives a good thump on bottom and kicks up some dust. Also don't forget to descale the sucker before filleting it. You know how to cut up the pieces.

Im sure if you keep at it, you'll land a laker this season and once you do, it's all over for the lakers.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #707 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Mowbizz,

I like to use fresh sucker meat each day i fish for lakers. I fillet the whole sucker and not cut chunks off when needed. That way if i loose a piece or need a fresh piece or change lures, they are cut up and ready for my wife and I.
I try to use the entire sucker for either cut bait or chum, the eggs, grind up the carcass sometimes, any pieces of meat i dont cut out as part of the fillet. I dont use the guts. If I dont grind up the carcass i chuck it out onto the ice for the eagle, osprey or other birds to pick at. Keep the cut bait at cold temp but not freezing. Typically on the floor of a bob house on a cutting board works.

I DONT let it freeze (becomes mushy) and if fishing outside and cold, i will keep the pieces in a baggie and keep that inside my jacket to prevent freezing. Always cover the tip or point of your hook with the meat.
The next day i put on a piece from yesterdays sucker in order to get my line down quickly which buys me time to fillet another sucker for fresh meat, then switch over to a fresh piece. I use yesterdays sucker meat for chum or feeding the birds. Works for cusk fishing and cusk lines as well.

Try to get the biggest sucker you can (afford) as the meat will be thicker. The little ones have skinny meat on them and not much of it. I suppose if using a small jig the smaller suckers might work but i typically use a 1oz buck tail or kastmaster, something that gives a good thump on bottom and kicks up some dust. Also don't forget to descale the sucker before filleting it. You know how to cut up the pieces.

Im sure if you keep at it, you'll land a laker this season and once you do, it's all over for the lakers.

Once again Jiggin, thank you for the detailed, process you have developed over years of laker fishing!
I and I’m sure everyone benefits from your experience!
My goal will be to jig up a Laker this year...so much fun watching them on the Marcum too! Hope it’s a good, old fashioned cold winter!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #708 on: Nov 16, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Once again Jiggin, thank you for the detailed, process you have developed over years of laker fishing!
My goal will be to jig up a Laker this year...so much fun watching them on the Marcum too! Hope it’s a good, old fashioned cold winter!
Like Jiggin said once you get the hang of it, it is really easy. I don't use bucktails but instead smaller panfish type jigs. They work great too. Can't go wrong with either though.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #709 on: Nov 16, 2017, 03:59 PM »
I've also had success with using anise oil to scent my jigs. Make sure to get the very very potent stuff and only use one or two drops at a time. Also, its freezing point is above that of water, so you'll want to keep it in your pocket.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #710 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:50 PM »
11/16/2017

We just got in and have transferred our suckers to our boxes. Cages brought home too. Removed Motor and Battery from boat and looking forward to wrapping the boat this weekend and being done with sucker trapping.

Time to move onto other projects.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #711 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Like Jiggin said once you get the hang of it, it is really easy. I don't use bucktails but instead smaller panfish type jigs. They work great too. Can't go wrong with either though.

Thanks! I can use all the help I can get!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #712 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:17 PM »
I've also had success with using anise oil to scent my jigs. Make sure to get the very very potent stuff and only use one or two drops at a time. Also, its freezing point is above that of water, so you'll want to keep it in your pocket.

Hmmm...hafta try this! Thx!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #713 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:19 PM »
11/16/2017

We just got in and have transferred our suckers to our boxes. Cages brought home too. Removed Motor and Battery from boat and looking forward to wrapping the boat this weekend and being done with sucker trapping.

Another milestone toward the season Jiggin! Sorry your sucker trapping sucked...
Time to move onto other projects.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #714 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:18 PM »
12/27/2017

Well, the ice has been forming on the south end of Newfound. Been watching it for the last couple of weeks and today was the day to put out the house. Laker Taker and I got em out on the ice but not far from shore. Later in the week will bump them out further but for now just getting them set up and ready for the 1st.

Separately been hitting early ice every day for a while now. Up at 3 am and home by 7 pm to get my tip ups and gear dried out next to the wood stove for the next day's adventure. Got some decent browns, brookies and rainbows but Really enjoyed the views, scenery and peace n quiet. Snowed just about every day i've been out. Met some really interesting people along the way and some pretty cool conversations / learned some new things too.
It was great seeing Gretchen on one of the ponds during the winter solaces. Typical of Gretchen to just magically appear when you least expect it, Im glad she's a good witch and likes me. My early ice fishing wouldn't be the same if i didn't get to see certain folks during this time of year :)

i'll try to post up some videos and pictures later of my early ice adventures. I still need to go through them.

Almost time to start a new season!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #715 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:01 PM »
How much ice there at Cummings Jiggin?

Offline Jetmec89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • USAF
« Reply #716 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:42 AM »
I need to get up to Newfound this year. You guys sound like you have a blast. Awesome detailed reports on this thread as well. My buddy told me its a great fishing lake. I'm new to NH as of 2017 but not new to Ice fishing. Born and raised a masshole but in the western part of the state. I'm used to targeting pike, warm water species, and stocked trout on smaller lakes. I've always wanted to try jigging lakers out of a big lake. I'm getting deployed in January but will be back early March. How long does Newfound keep it's ice? I know it varies year to year but just in general.   
Grab me a beer woman!!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #717 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Some videos from early ice

Male Brown

Having some hot food, had to block the wind with my sled

Winter Wonderland

Another Brown

Enjoy!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #718 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Color changing mountain.....pretty cool to watch throughout the day. Final color of the day (that i didn't get a picture of) was brown.

Snow White

Blazing Orange

Pretty Pink

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #719 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:56 PM »
J, thanks for the "circus fix" , I was getting antsy for some great posts from you and your gang !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.