Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819445 times)

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #90 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Hando, your lucky you only have that much snow.. its hard pulling anything through all the snow we get up here in MN.  :(

Think again!  We got 120 inches of snow where that picture was taken!  I always used my Genz Trap but this is the first year I started dragging out my Viking again because of the new sled.  Previously it was too much work but the skis on this sled and with the shelter sitting on top of 2 x 6's it actually cuts through snow pretty easily.  The biggest snow I went through this year was 8" and again it was a fairly easy pull (I did have to have my daughter hop off her chair when we hit some deeper drifts  :D ).  The simple design suited me well this year! 
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:44 AM »
neat
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline iceprowler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • flag's up!!! RUN
« Reply #92 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:29 PM »
here are the pics i told you about smitty

and the paint was extra paint from my sons room and its latex paint so it is water proof now

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #93 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Looks very nice prowler, guarantee you will love it. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments. I hope I can help with any other questions anyone might have. Smitty

Smitty, I have saved your posts from last season and finally found a set of cross country skis to attempt to build a sled for my Shappel DX3000 shanty. But in rereading the posts that I saved there were no dimensions of the lumber( I presumed 2x6 and 2x4 ) and of the sizes of the parts. I also would use the skis for hauling my cheap plastic toboggan sled that holds 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets when I don't need the shanty.
Also, by now there are many of you technologically advanced cobblers that have made their sled/ski designs over several times. How about showing off your skills and sharing the details of your endeavors.

In addition may I ask why you didn't make the width as wide as the shanty?
I'd like to see this subject explored further as it fits the needs of many who don't use vehicles to pull their tackle out onto the ice.

Finally( for now ) thanks for sharing your original designs. They are ingenious, simple and get right to the point. 

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:03 PM »
I too went with the (Smittysled) design, I did not go as wide as the DX3000 width because I felt it was more awkward when trying to pull. I did start out wide but came in about 6-8" seems more comfortable to me pulling. I added some stops on top that the shanty ribs fit over to keep it from shifting on the crossbars. I am going to take it out for it's maiden voyage Thursday to a local pond.

Smitty, I have saved your posts from last season and finally found a set of cross country skis to attempt to build a sled for my Shappel DX3000 shanty. But in rereading the posts that I saved there were no dimensions of the lumber( I presumed 2x6 and 2x4 ) and of the sizes of the parts. I also would use the skis for hauling my cheap plastic toboggan sled that holds 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets when I don't need the shanty.
Also, by now there are many of you technologically advanced cobblers that have made their sled/ski designs over several times. How about showing off your skills and sharing the details of your endeavors.

In addition may I ask why you didn't make the width as wide as the shanty?
I'd like to see this subject explored further as it fits the needs of many who don't use vehicles to pull their tackle out onto the ice.

Finally( for now ) thanks for sharing your original designs. They are ingenious, simple and get right to the point. 
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I too went with the (Smittysled) design, I did not go as wide as the DX3000 width because I felt it was more awkward when trying to pull. I did start out wide but came in about 6-8" seems more comfortable to me pulling. I added some stops on top that the shanty ribs fit over to keep it from shifting on the crossbars. I am going to take it out for it's maiden voyage Thursday to a local pond.

I just measured up the skis and they are about 80 1/2 inches long. About 70 inches are flat with about a 10 inches allowed for the front curve.
I measured the outside groove in the bottom of the Shappell 3000 and they are a bit wider than the edge of a 2x4 and about 32 inches between the outside edges of the outside grooves.
Since I may want to use the hauler for a toboggan size set up when I don't use it for the ice shanty I may add a third set of risers to support the longer length. How long are your risers? And would it be advisable to use a light but strong wood throughout? What could that wood be? I picked up a short peice of treated lumber and thats too heavy.
Any suggestions?

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I made mine 9" long, and they are just select 2x4's from lowes. kiln dried and pretty light. I just predrilled my holes a bit smaller than the screws so I would not split them. it seems pretty stable and when the gear is strapped down with a couple of rachet straps things are pretty tight all around. I cut 18" pieces on a 45 to slope them in front like Smitty's. there is a pic of it somewhere in this thread:)

I just measured up the skis and they are about 80 1/2 inches long. About 70 inches are flat with about a 10 inches allowed for the front curve.
I measured the outside groove in the bottom of the Shappell 3000 and they are a bit wider than the edge of a 2x4 and about 32 inches between the outside edges of the outside grooves.
Since I may want to use the hauler for a toboggan size set up when I don't use it for the ice shanty I may add a third set of risers to support the longer length. How long are your risers? And would it be advisable to use a light but strong wood throughout? What could that wood be? I picked up a short peice of treated lumber and thats too heavy.
Any suggestions?

It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #98 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:40 AM »
This is great to see guys! For years I have been told by people they love my sled - I haven't seen any others like it - until now!
I Love this thing! Tight Lines to All - Be Safe and Stay on Top

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #99 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:36 AM »
We just used our new "SmittySled" yesterday.  Pulls like a dream, even with our overweight "Cabelas" suitcase shanty.  As soon as I take some pics, I will post them.  I didn't think about it yesterday, just too excited to be on the ice!  (First time out this season!) 
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #100 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:15 AM »
very nice thanks for the great idea!needed and extra sled! :thumbsup:
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:48 PM »
In making a sled for use behind an atv also, would it be best to make it wide enough to follow in the tire tracks or less width to travel on the inside of the tire tracks (if that makes sense)....Thanks, Scott

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Any more sleds this year?
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline abbatoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Smitty, I made your standard sled and I don't think there is an improvement I could make to it...Absolutely great idea...Thanks, Scott

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Yep I made one too. I used 2x6's instead of 2x4's though to give it a little more lift. We get a lot of snow up this way. Took it out yesterday and it worked great  ;D. Thanks for the design.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Dec 12, 2010, 04:11 PM »

I made one to help me pull my two man Clam Yukon on the ice.  I didn't buy the runner kit and will be hand pulling so thought the ski's will help with the heavier shanty.  Can't wait to try it out.

I still have to put the eye bolts in for my bungie cords but other than that she's all done.

Thanks Smitty for all the help!!!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I made one to help me pull my two man Clam Yukon on the ice.  I didn't buy the runner kit and will be hand pulling so thought the ski's will help with the heavier shanty.  Can't wait to try it out.

I still have to put the eye bolts in for my bungie cords but other than that she's all done.

Thanks Smitty for all the help!!!
Your welcome. You will love it. Smitty

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #107 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Smitty you are the man! You came up with a great idea that is totally simple. I see a lot of other folks jumped on this one. I FINALLY got my hands on a cheap pair of skiis so I'll be pulling the legendary Smitty Sled soon too.
Thanks for your ingenuity!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

servocam

« Reply #108 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I think I need to make a "Smitty Sled" as well.  I now have too much gear for my small Otter sled and don't have a vehicle to fit anything larger in.  Problem I have now is that I have to carry my bait and cooler and beacuse I am stacking gear on top of the small sled, so it gets top heavy and a snomobile or ATV track caused it to tip over.

I could make a nice wide sled here.  Time to hit the thrift store!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #109 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Just built mine yesterday. What a simple project! The carriage bolts going through the crossmembers are pretty tight. I'll use the hammer to put them together and take them apart the first few times but this thing is perfect!

NBG

Offline shawnbialobrzeski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Keep your stick on the ice"
« Reply #110 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:40 AM »
nice sled

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I should have a patent for this...LOL...keep em' coming...I love the satisfaction that everyone gets when they build the sled and makes their life so much easier...remember...sm arter not harder. Smitty

Offline Ack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Smitty, I have to thank you. I made the sled last night and used it today and it worked perfectly. It is so simple yet works great. Thanks again for a good idea.

Offline RANGER26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:51 PM »
 LOOKS GOOD.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Wish I would have seen this before I bought my jet sled xl 3 days ago!  :-\
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:03 AM »
Wish I would have seen this before I bought my jet sled xl 3 days ago!  :-\
Take the jet sled back, and start building, you will be glad you did. Smitty

Offline slednut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:08 PM »
I had to modify...sorry. Smitty
[/quote

How did you attach the 2x6 to the ski"s?]

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #117 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I used deck screws from the bottom. Solid as Sears!

NBG

Offline slednut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow for sure!!

Thanks, Smitty!!

I'll post a few pics when I'm done!!

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Sled works awesome.  I did make sure to open up the holes for the bolts with a larger drill bit so my bolts would countersink and be level with the 2x4's and did the same for the screws under the ski's.  Skis make pulling my Yukon a lot easier.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.