The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where should i be for perch?  (Read 734 times)

Offline IceDuck406

• IceShanty Rookie
Where should i be for perch?
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm new to ice fishing this year. Ive realized that it's pretty tricky to find the perch on my local lakes ( LMR/ Thompson). I usually look for points and other fisherman to give me an idea of where to set up. I've been checking some contour maps and wondering if I should be focusing on a certain depth,  drop offs,  or finding flats w/ weeds. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a depth finder yet, so im starting to feel like I have no real strategy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Where should i be for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Perch are fish of the flats ...find some "sticky" bottom...close to weeds ...fish the flat before the break and the bottom of the break out a little ways.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
Re: Where should i be for perch?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:16 PM »
LMR is a hit or miss lake. never fished Thompson.
first thing I would do is save up some money and get a flasher that will change the game for you.
I have fished without a flasher and you need to be open minded. set one rod up as a dead stick with some bait on it about 1-2' off bottom some times they only want it right on the bottom so try it all.
On my jigging rod I like to start with some type of spoon gold or silver or glow.  if they don't want that I will switch to a tungsten jig or a spoon with a micro dropper. I have had luck also with micro tube jigs. I would make a rope system to check depth or go off contour map like you said.  as far as a depth some start shallow and go deep as the day gets long.  I would look for 20' range to get ya started much deeper its tough to see or fill the bite if they are lite biting.  hope that helps.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.