The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Suggestions for Spokanite visiting West Montana?  (Read 691 times)

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suggestions for Spokanite visiting West Montana?
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Here in Eastern Washington the ice is all but gone, so I’m looking for lakes in West Montana with decent ice, and the possibilty of catching fish. I would be walking on and off the ice, and I’m not too picky of the species. I’ve got some time off in the near future, and a road trip is warranted. Any suggestions?

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
Re: Suggestions for Spokanite visiting West Montana?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:38 AM »
My advice...... stay home, Montana is full and we don’t have any fish here haha. It al depends on how far you want to drive. What you want to target? Quantity versis quality. There are so many options right now for reservoirs to choose from, I haven’t found a reservoir with bad ice yet to be honest.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I wouldn’t mind fishing for Walleye and Trout, but I’m mostly looking to keep hardwater fishing, so the flavor isn’t too critical. As for distance, I’d just as soon keep it under a 5 hour drive from Spokane, if that helps. I can figure out lodging after I decide on a body of water.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Any reservoir around Helena has great ice and can find walleye/trout.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Thanks Tag Filler! I’ll start looking there.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:32 PM »
No problem, holter, hauser, canyon ferry all hold eyes and trout good luck

Offline FPSMark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Hope you can make a trip over. If I were you I'd skip the Helena-area idea and hit up the Flathead or Lincoln county. It's 2-3 hours closer to you, one way, so you can get more ice time up in the NW part of the state. More specifically, the chain of lakes west of Marion would give you a good trip. You can fish pike, perch, trout, salmon in most of the lakes up there.  Search Marion, MT in Google Earth, then scroll along Highway 2 to the west and you will find a dozen lakes that are fun. McGregor is the exception, not fishable.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Your options for walleye are limited in the western part of the state. By limited I mean the only lakes that have them are the products of bucket biology. The Helena area is a little farther than that 5 hour drive but Nixon rapids reservoir is relatively close to you and apparently has an unwanted population of walleye that were illegally stocked. I don’t fish west of the divide but there’s plenty of guys in that neck of the woods that can help you out. Good luck.

Offline grumpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Ice is pretty bad at Noxon.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ve got a friend who’s got next week off, and he wants to stay closer to home and fish Lake Roosevelt (bank fishing) for Kokanee and Rainbows. His wife is usually the big decision-maker there, so I may be staying here in Washington, and leaving those Montana fish all to you guys. I’m lobbying for a road-trip, but my vote may not count for much. Everyone stay safe out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.