The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Blaine Lake  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Blaine Lake
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Hey there,
I was thinking about going to fish Lake Blaine this weekend.  I was wondering if anyone here has ever ice fished it.  If so what did you catch and was the fishing any good?  I have never been there before. 

Also is there public access to that lake? 

Thanks for any help
 :tipup:

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blaine Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:40 AM »
I have caught pike, perch, and some nice crappie out of there. Used to be a spot that a guy allowed public access, but was told some guys were jerky to him and he shut it down. If that's true it's all private now.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:11 PM »
I just called FWP and they said there isnt any access to the lake, unless you come down from the creek.  They then said that leaves parking somewhat of a problem.  From what the lady told me people usually go there to target perch.  I might just give it a shot, if I do this weekend ill let ya know how it was. 

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:15 AM »
I remembered this thread from a couple of winters ago. I have never fished it, but it sounded like it was a public access.

You take hwy 206 North from Woodys gas station then turn on Yoeman Hall Rd. follow that till you end up on the side of lake. the public access is just right off the side of the road i am going to try and attach a map. Im pretty sure it is before Yoeman splits at the end.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Kalispell,+MT&daddr=lake+blaine&hl=en&ll=48.247197,-114.127178&spn=0.015832,0.038581&sll=48.251627,-114.119883&sspn=0.007915,0.01929&geocode=FVN73wIdorAv-SlHwuqclVBmUzFiu1od2r0frw%3BFQ0r4AIdLrAy-Sm_07kEtUhmUzGTNnTF3H-XUg&oq=kalispe&t=h&mra=ls&num=10&z=15

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:02 AM »
That "access" is private ground controlled by the Weaver family. Owen had it open last season and then some jerks left trash around and got into an argument with him over the "right" to use the access. FWP has also been a thorn for him. It's his land, his gate, his right to open or close. Just too bad that FWP doesn't have the budget to buy a chunk and do an access and parking area. It's a nice lake. Can't blame Owen.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:22 AM »
The Weaver's are a good family. The irresponsible people that litter are to blame for most "shut downs" on private accesses around the state.

The only problem with the Weaver access is the creek causes weak ice, so be careful. Luckily I know a guy who owns on the west side of the lake for access. Good salmon fishing in front of his place and small perch too.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Is there still good salmon fishing there?  I heard reports they dont stock it anymore and warm water species has taken over, is it true

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Fished here couple days ago.  Tried 4 salmon and didnt catch any.  Marked them all over in 85ft of water.

Offline JiffyJockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Hey Golden Trout!  How did you get on the lake?  Did you have to knock on doors?  Thanks.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Actually I have a person who lets me down through his property.  However I called FWP and they said you can go in right where the creek dumps in (north side).  I also went again today.  I tried everything for salmon but there has been no bite for them.  You can mark them (alteast I think its them) anywhere where the water is over 35 feet deep.   I had them all over the screen today at different depths.  I was also picking up some large fish on the finder in about 90 feet of water and couldnt get those to hit either.  So I decided to go to the shallows up north and ended up with a couple perch.  6-9 inches.

I have tried everything from maggots, worms, smelt, grubs, jigs, lures, you name it.  The perch bite is slow but I caught them on a hailies with grub worm things.  I think if a person could figure this lake out he could do real good out here. 

:tipup:   

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:49 PM »
there is no parking at the creek access so that rules the creek out too, and the ice is super thin there too as mentioned before so i would highly warn against parking there, let alone walking out on that thin ice

Offline Stephan_K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:00 AM »
there is no parking at the creek access so that rules the creek out too, and the ice is super thin there too as mentioned before so i would highly warn against parking there, let alone walking out on that thin ice

There is parking at the creek.  There is a pull out big enough for about 8 vehicles and access is next to the creek via an open gate.  There is no parking on the lake side of the road and it is marked so.  Was out there yesterday......

Offline JiffyJockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Thanks for the help and clarification on this. 

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:21 PM »
There is parking at the creek.  There is a pull out big enough for about 8 vehicles and access is next to the creek via an open gate.  There is no parking on the lake side of the road and it is marked so.  Was out there yesterday......
that's private property though so i would suggest checking with a landowner...

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Heine, the Weaver family opened the gate for ice fisherman access again this winter. Thank-you to the Weavers!! Guys have been out there regularly and doing OK. I was out a couple weeks ago and did well on the small salmon.

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Word is salmon are doing really well, a newbie buddy had a great time limited out in 1 hr Sunday nice smoker fish
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2015, 12:03 AM »
Heine, the Weaver family opened the gate for ice fisherman access again this winter. Thank-you to the Weavers!! Guys have been out there regularly and doing OK. I was out a couple weeks ago and did well on the small salmon.
Awesome to hear! lets not screw it up like people did a few summers ago!! pick up your trash and everyone else's guys!!

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2015, 01:55 AM »
I agree!  I am heading there tomorrow unless plans change.  Ill update you guys

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Couple perch in the 12" range but couldnt get any salmon.  There were a few people out in about 90fow with a couple salmon. 

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Have the salmon schooled and started biting?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.