Author Topic: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!  (Read 117346 times)

Offline jigginstik

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #180 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Hello All, I am new to this sight. I have been watching the sight over the past year and decided to check it out on the inside. I live in the valley, Palmer-wasilla and a transplant from Utah. I used to Ice fish Utah when I lived there but sold everything when I moved up here. I was told there was no Ice fishing to be had because of the long nights. Now I know that was BS. Well a few thousand dollars later, I am back in business. I am blessed to be able to fish on a number of lakes within in 5-10 minutes of the house. Its pretty sad when what I thought August was the best time of the year to fish Ak and this last August I never touched a rod because of the crowds. I am a former Fly fishing guide who loves to fish. When I got married, I told my wife "don't every make me choose between fishing and you, cuz you may not like the answer". I am still happily married and she has never asked the question.  My goal this year is to catch a burbot, and do some pike fishing somewhere on the other side of the Susitna. I love to read the posts and Updates. Thanks Again.   

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #181 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Welcome to our site jigginstik, it is good to see you here, good luck and hope to see you around some time.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline AkFox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Hello. Pretty new to the forum thing. I've lived in Alaska for 24 years. Enjoying most of my time fishing. Started ice fishing when I was young (7). Still do many trips every year with my friend "Akhardwater". He told me about this site, for info on areas and reports from many on the lakes we fish together. Hope to see you guys on the ice.

Offline shoedawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:24 PM »
I am in the Air Force and love it up here in Alaska.  I fish all summer, hunt in the fall then fish again in the winter.  I have been out this winter quite a few times, and have done fairly well catching Pike.  I caught my first burbot on Big Lake about a week ago.  I do a lot of fishing with another member on here, TnT.  Any questions just ask.   ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #184 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Welcome Newbies!
I don't know if you know the rule concerning joining the Shanty??   If you happen to stumble on a fellow Shanty member on the ice -- you'll have to fess up a beer in exchange for at least one good tip!  ;D ;D You can assure good tips from almost all of your fellow shanty members (with the exception of Brad!) ;)2   
Welcome again!!!
Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #185 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for that BD! They will just owe me a couple of beers for my good advice!!  :roflmao:

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Thanks for that BD! They will just owe me a couple of beers for my good advice!!  :roflmao:
The next time you are in the valley and want to hang with one of the valley trash, I always have a cold one ready ( sometimes slushy cold ) and waiting. I absolutley love this site and of course the Alaska section is the best part of the forum.  :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline shoedawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:04 PM »
LOL Now that I know about the "beer rule" I will be sure to have a six pack ready, how bout some of that good ole NASTY NATTY LIGHT  ;D  I will have picks posted soon of some of my trips and a profile pic of myself.  If you in the valley fishing on Figure 8 or Big Lake just look for a BIG red 6 man quick fish, good chance it'll be me!!!  BTW going for burbot on BIG LAKE on Sat.  Was suppose to go today but sumtin' came up.

Offline FowlHooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:03 AM »
Hello all,
As I guess I'm the newest new guy, how's the ice treating everyone?  Just joined the forum after stopping in for a few months researching gas augers.  Great forum and a great place to talk to folks who share the same "ice fishin' fever" I suffer from currently.  Anyhow, I've been in Alaska about 9 years or so and just recently got back into ice fishing.   I've picked up an Eskimo Quickfish 3, Jet Sled, Mr. Buddy Heater (the smaller variety) & a StrikeMaster LazerMag 10".  Haven't caught anything of any real size yet, but the Ramen cooked on the sterno stove this last trip was phenomenal.  Making the drive to Big Lake this weekend to try my luck.  I'll let you know how that pans out.  Great to be apart of the AK Team. :thumbsup:

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Welcome and it's looking like it's going to be a good time here in the next few months for some intense ice fishing!

Offline ducks434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Apr 11, 2010, 11:28 AM »
I'm officially the newest member now! I will officially be a resident of AK in early October and cant wait!  I will PCS to Ellison AFB in early October and be stationed there for at least 3 years!  I Grew up ice fishing all over Iowa and Minnesota.  Mainly targeting walleye and crappie.  Also have caught catfish, perch, bluegill, pike, sauger, and bass through the ice!  I'm very excited to get up there and try something a little different!   

Offline VT_Icefisher_616

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Oct 27, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Hello All,

I just moved to Fairbanks, AK this summer because I couldn't get enough ice fishing in Lake Champlain, Vermont (3-4 months is not enough!!)

I almost cried when I heard there's no live bait up here but good pike fishermen know the big boys like wounded or dead bait anyways. I too am a bit sad, but then again grew up spoiled, as on Lake Champlain we were allowed 15 tip ups per person. I am going to have to combine my pike fishing passion with my panfishing skill and that with a little local help will morph into the AK style that pulls lakers, salmon, char, and burbot!!

I am completely psyched as in Vermont our spearing season was only about a month and it was after the ice went out (tripping through the swamp and streams in 34 degree water with lanterns finding new holes in the waders!!) My cozen and I have stared down our perch holes dozens of times after a decent pike has swam into the perch and taken that lucky Bibbet and said "No why can't we spear through the ice?"

So now that I'm pretty sure I've shot the last few remaining mallards in the area (after spending hours the night before cutting through 4" of ice to make open water to duck hunt in on Saturday the one I did get made me walk all the way around the pond and shoot it then walk across the ice to retrieve it)

I am going to put away the axe and decoys and gas up the auger.

This years goals:

1) Dark house spearing
2) Catch 1st trout, salmon, char, etc. through the ice
3) Find all the local hotspots
4) Start finding and mapping the remote hotspots

and as always there's that before 40 goal
5) Pull a 20lb Pike

If any locals read this please please please tell me that I have been miss informed and that somebody local carries Jiffy products. Am I going to be the only one up here with a yellow auger?

Oh and I guess goal 6) Come up with a new handle as the VT Icefisher has flown Nord2AK !!!

Fish On boys and girls!!!!!!

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Oct 27, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I thought going from 4 lines to 2 was rough, but 15?  Not going to lie, I'd have every one of 'em out.  The bait situation is pretty depressing.  How are you supposed to make the new guy eat live minnows when the bite's slow?  Anyway, I know Sportsman's carried Jiffy's since that's where I bought mine.  Hopefully for you they're just late getting them in (like everything else).  All I've seen are Eskimo's, and as a previous owner, I wouldn't wish one on anybody.  As for the remote trips, just got the sled back together and was already thinking the same.  The action is limited around Fairbanks, so I plan on spreading my wings a little this year.  If you're looking to get out, I think a couple of us are going to try Quartz in the next couple days.  Might want to bring those waders and axe though.

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
« Reply #193 on: Oct 29, 2010, 01:12 AM »
Name is Matt, lived in AK for 3 1/2 years now.  Originally a Yooper, but didn't complain a bit when the Air Force sent me here (I did complain the other 13 years and 6 assignments that I wasn't sent here though!).  At any rate, this year is a building year with the kids.  Gotta get the little buggers on some fish to really lock in the habit that has driven me to near madness at times!  If anyone in the Eagle River area fishes with kids (mine are 2 and 4), would love to set up a kids fishing date!  I have all my own gear, just always good to have company for the kids so if the fishing is bad, they still have a good time playing with new people (I'm sure they get sick of me after a while!).

Hope to gain some insight and perhaps share my experiences with the rest of you.

Flags up, fish on!

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #194 on: Nov 05, 2010, 12:16 AM »
If anyone in the Eagle River area fishes with kids (mine are 2 and 4), would love to set up a kids fishing date!

I live in the Valley, but I think we could probably set something up.  My 4 year old has been spearing w/ me since he was 2.  My 2 year old has gone out a few times since he was ~7 months old, but this year will be his first year of all day trips.  Nothing like hearing them giggle when they see that first fish come through the ice!

Darkhouse

Offline Hunt_N_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Nov 05, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Welcome to the new fellas and a friendly nod to DHF.  Been spending some time getting some gear and getting ready and I have two youngsters I ready to go.  ;D

Offline Mattsgirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:30 PM »
This is my first year ice fishing. My wonderful boyfriend (Mparzick) has introduced me and my 2 sons to the wonderful sport of ice fishing. I can honestly say I really enjoy it. My boys are 4 and 7 and they love it too. We have been out to Birch Lake and came home with 7 nice sized trout. Here's to many more fun and productive fishing trips.. take care all.......

Offline trekk202

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish Head
« Reply #197 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Welcome and Hello Mattsgirl,

I am new here as well, its only been a couple days since joining and I have posted elsewhere, but you just brought this thread up that I had not yet seen for us rookies to introduce ourselves.  So some here may have already read my hard water rookie post that I did somewhat introducting myself, as well as seeking some local tips.  I must say that it has been a warm welcome so far.  I have written a few PM's to a couple folks on here and have had very pleasant responses with some great info and even an invite or two to get out fishing together, so thank you very much to those folks already.

A bit more about my fishing addiction would be that I have lived in Alaska for a couple years now and that it was actually my wife that brought me up here.  We met at college and it was her goal to eventually get back here to the valley where she grew up, so needless to say I was an easy sale.  ;D 

Not always, but most of the time I am fishing with my two oldest boys who are 6 and 4 and they are getting the bug pretty bad as well.  Oh and mattsgirl, my wife does get out with us on occasion as well, but this year we have a 6 month old boy that makes it a bit tougher (yes that is three boys, so she is way out numbered, but I will have no problem finding fishing buddies)  We have a quickfish 6 shelter that we take most of the time and I just did get my early Christmas present of an ice fishing flasher, so hopefully that will improve my success ratio. 

I am completely hooked on the hard water fishing and really look forward to learning more and getting into things like spear fishing for the pike and other fishing techniques and locations. 

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:48 PM »
Welcome all newcomers! See you on the ice..... I might even get a chance to catch a fish this year. ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #199 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Yes welcome newbies!  It's great having such a great variety of folks on board! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline GERRODNAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:49 PM »
My name is Gerrod, I live in the Butte.  I go ice fishing any chance I get, the lakes I frequent are Finger lake, Long lake, echo lake, keppler-bradley, and memory lake.  Ice fishing is my three year old's favorite winter activity, and we are looking to try some new spots this winter.  Happy fishing!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Welcome to all our newer members who have joined within the last couple of months! Hope this season brings you lots of great memories, relaxation and tight lines!

Merry Christmas to all our Shanty members and our lurkers too :roflmao:

Sincerely

Brad

Offline rainbowflex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:34 PM »
This area is for new members on the Alaska forum and to Team Alaska to introduce yourself and to be welcomed by our other members. If you have any questions please just ask.

Thanks

Brad; Forum Moderator for Alaska section and member of "Team Alaska"  >:D

My name is Antonio,new to the site,been in our great state for 30yrs and love to fish year round.

Offline akms82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:36 PM »
       Hey there everybody!
 My name is matt, im a native alaskan born and raised in Anch. Contractor, college student and AK hunter fisherman.
Been ice fishing for a while, mostly pike, burbot n lakers. Thought i should be in contact with ya"ll for any future info we can pass on trail, ice, weather conditions.
This is an Awesome site, great people, great sport! Thanks everybody

Offline 900fusion

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Dec 21, 2010, 02:12 PM »
hello all! born and raised in michigan joined the military which brought me to this wonderful state. avid fisherman and hunter. ice fishing is one of my favorite activities. enjoy taking the kids. so far ive been able to fish some awesome spots and almost complete the ultimate grand slam. ive caught bows, chars, laker, kokanees, burbot & pike. just need a cutty and a sheefish. main hardwater lakes: green lake, big lake, long lake. not afraid to share info or tips. hope to see some of you on the water. also im open every weekend if someone wants to meet up and do some fishing. tight lines.
Bring a child into the outdoors and in return they will bring you priceless memories!

Offline bashley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Hi everyone,
  I'm new to the site but have been in AK since 1995. I Used to do alot of ice fishing at Quartz, but somehow strayed away for a long time. Last year a buddy took me down to Harding and I brought up an 18# Laker and now I'm hooked again.

See you on the ice,
Brian

Offline AlaskaOutdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #206 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Live in Fairbanks.  I am an avid ice fisherman.  Grew up on a lake in Minnesota and learned to ice fish when I was young.  The passion for it has only been recently enhanced by moving up here to the great state of Alaska.  Have fished many of the area lakes including Quartz, Birch, Harding, Summit, Paxson, Lake Louise, Tangle Lakes and many others.  Absolutely enjoy getting out on the ice.  If I catch something, then it is even more enjoyable.  Anyone interested in putting together an outing, let me know as I am up for it. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #207 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:36 PM »
YEah I agree with a Fairbanks get together...  Maybe after this insane deep freeze we can all hook up at one of our local holes! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline FrozenFinSeeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Morning all,

I am relatively new to the area. Born and raised in Maine where my life could be measured with fishing seasons and duck seasons. Joined the military 10 years ago and finally ended up here in 2008. Now a civilian and at UAF full time. We are planning on spending the rest of our days here in the interior (with the occasional trip down south to laugh at the rest of the world). Finally got back out on the hard water this past March after a 6 year hiatus (fished my butt of in Utah for 4 years but not much ice fishing in Va). Bought the StrikeMaster auger,  a frabil two man ice shanty and dug out my rods from Utah. Only fished Bathing Beauty and Quartz (once) last year with abosolutely no success all year but a day out on the ice fishing beats just about any other day, even with no fish. This year I have found a lot of other places to fish and have high hopes. But if it's another skunker season, it still beats watching TV  ;)

Interested in meeting some of you who live up here, and maybe hitting the ice (or soft water this summer).

Offline guesak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Hey all! 

I have lived in Alaska pretty much since 1971 when I was five years old with a few years out of state for school and one stint in Washington State.  Used to be an avid fisherman until I decided to get married.  Arghhh....  well the kids are worth it even if it does cut into my fishing time.

Getting back into ice fishing now.  I used to keep a fairly detailed non commercial website of all my fishing but haven't done enough to post much lately.  Hoping to get back into the thick of things here!

Good info here! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.