The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric drill auger setup questions  (Read 4448 times)

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electric drill auger setup questions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Hope!!   ;D ;D ;D

I've stated that because that's what I have for an auger and that's what it can drill.  It's just a data point.  IF someone wants to drill 4,5, or 6" holes you'll get a lot more than 50 if thats important.

OTOH Son caught a rainbow in Canyon Ferry several years ago that we couldn't get through a 10" hole.  Not that he was jammed into the hole, but it was a large fish and he managed to somehow brace himself against the bottom of the hole and we pulled the hook before we were able to coax him through the ice.  No idea how big it was, but I believe it was in the 10 lb class.  As I recall the ice was 14 -16" and we just got his head up to the top of the ice.  I always thought the thicker the ice the bigger the hole you need if your dealing with larger fish.  Perch or kokanee wouldn't matter much. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:07 PM »
stay out of my business.lol jk mike.i dont drill 50 a day but i like a 8” hole.it all about choices and seems like we lose choices every day.no ill will towards you tho bud.

None taken my friend. No snowflake here.😉

I guess what I'm trying to say is my intent is to go lighter, easier and faster. A hole just big enough to get the job done. A drill that does the same. Just seems that running it with the clam plate and other add ons gets pretty close to the same weight and business of a gasser. I get the safety thing but damn. I dunno...smh.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:15 PM »
None taken my friend. No snowflake here.😉
lol i know.maybe its me getting frustrated with the what,drill,auger,rod,reel,jig,flasher,suit,ice cleats is best threads on here.lol

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:26 PM »
lol i know.maybe its me getting frustrated with the what,drill,auger,rod,reel,jig,flasher,suit,ice cleats is best threads on here.lol

🤣🤣🤣

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:03 PM »
I've stated that because that's what I have for an auger and that's what it can drill.  It's just a data point.  IF someone wants to drill 4,5, or 6" holes you'll get a lot more than 50 if thats important.

OTOH Son caught a rainbow in Canyon Ferry several years ago that we couldn't get through a 10" hole.  Not that he was jammed into the hole, but it was a large fish and he managed to somehow brace himself against the bottom of the hole and we pulled the hook before we were able to coax him through the ice.  No idea how big it was, but I believe it was in the 10 lb class.  As I recall the ice was 14 -16" and we just got his head up to the top of the ice.  I always thought the thicker the ice the bigger the hole you need if your dealing with larger fish.  Perch or kokanee wouldn't matter much.

And not to be ignored...back when I would catch crappie through the ice, I'd throw two poles and my transducer in the same 8" hole. One jig on the bottom, one in the mid-column. Got a few doubles that way   ;D wouldn't dream of doing that with larger, stronger fish, though!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:41 PM »
I just don't get it...like a lot of things I guess. Why all of the hype about drilling 50+ , 8" holes and the power to do such? First, where is the need to drill a hole that big unless your trying to pull a 20+ pound sturgeon, musky, pike,  etc. through it? Not many waters in North America  hold fish that big. Some do...yes. But few and far between. And 50 holes? Why? I'll wait for replies and backlash.😉

If your primary target species is panfish than I can understand not caring. Turning any fish pushing 3+ pounds up a hole smaller than 7" can be tricky, especially thrashing fish like trout/salmon, Pike and walleye. It's also nice for long soaking tipups in inclement weather as it increases the amount of time before holes freeze over.
As far as the number of holes, when your actively moving and jigging it is absolutely necessary to cover ground and make swiss cheese. Once you've found them you can park untill you have to move.
I for one do not fish passively, it's an all out grind till you turn them up and that may be 10 holes or it may be 100.
To each, their own.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:53 PM »
If your primary target species is panfish than I can understand not caring. Turning any fish pushing 3+ pounds up a hole smaller than 7" can be tricky, especially thrashing fish like trout/salmon, Pike and walleye. It's also nice for long soaking tipups in inclement weather as it increases the amount of time before holes freeze over.
As far as the number of holes, when your actively moving and jigging it is absolutely necessary to cover ground and make swiss cheese. Once you've found them you can park untill you have to move.
I for one do not fish passively, it's an all out grind till you turn them up and that may be 10 holes or it may be 100.
To each, their own.

13#  - 38" pike trough 6" hole last winter with no issues.

50 holes to get my limit of 25 gills? Looking for another lake.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:17 PM »
13#  - 38" pike trough 6" hole last winter with no issues.

50 holes to get my limit of 25 gills? Looking for another lake.

You targeting that Pike or was it a by catch?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:23 PM »
You targeting that Pike or was it a by catch?

Targeting...on a tip up.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Touché

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:50 AM »
That thing's going to shred. I'm happy with my Ridgid and basic Eskimo auger, with the drill plate and auger that looks like a beast.

That is a very nice set up!                                                                                                                                          I use the 9 ah battery and 8" nils can't wait for ice to give it a try!

smitty :tipup:

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I manged to find the ultimate solution, which was having my buddy buy a 7" inch drill and plate setup to go with his electric drill. Tested it out wednesday and works pretty slick. I used the money I saved to buy a buddy heater for the shack.

I did drill a bunch of holes with my 5" hand auger, and I'm not sure you could get a decent trout or pike through them with more than 6" of ice.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.