The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric drill auger setup questions  (Read 4449 times)

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric drill auger setup questions
« on: Nov 24, 2019, 07:18 PM »
So looking to upgrade my setup for this coming year after having to resort to a 5" hand auger to finish out last season. I was impressed with the 5" lazer, but the reality of trying to land holter rainbows through the small hole requires something else.

I'm thinking of getting an 8" lazer and running it from an electric drill on days I don't feel like turning it myself.

Home depot has a black friday special on old milwaukee M18 kit that I was already thinking about buying, if i have the 1/2" hammer drill and 2 batteries and a 8" lazer drill, what else do I need to buy?

Should I be able to get 50 8" holes out of 2 batteries assuming I keep them in a cooler with some hand warmers?

Clam plate?

Curious what the MT crowd thinks. I already want the OM kit, so think it's cost effective.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Electric drill auger setup questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Just get the strikemaster two stage drill adaptor $20, flange for cordless drill adaptor $5 and a hand auger extention $35. Then you'll have an all strikemaster drill setup a
That is completely conpatible.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:17 PM »
So, I'm running a 7" Eskimo basic auger, and a Ridgid hammer drill with the torque handle. Just a cheap mini adapter. Nothing fancy. I bought the bigger battery (can't remember the exact specs), and I get about a dozen-16 holes easy before it begins sputtering, and that's on 12 inch ice or so. I figured 144 inches of ice on battery or so. I just make sure not to push down to hard, as that decreases the cutting and increases the battery usage. My 7" holes have pulled 30-40" pike easy, so no worries on size there. Hope that helps

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:23 PM »
So, I'm running a 7" Eskimo basic auger, and a Ridgid hammer drill with the torque handle. Just a cheap mini adapter. Nothing fancy. I bought the bigger battery (can't remember the exact specs), and I get about a dozen-16 holes easy before it begins sputtering, and that's on 12 inch ice or so. I figured 144 inches of ice on battery or so. I just make sure not to push down to hard, as that decreases the cutting and increases the battery usage. My 7" holes have pulled 30-40" pike easy, so no worries on size there. Hope that helps

Are your blades sharp? I was getting about 30 8in holes in 24in of ice with a Milwaukee drill and 4ah battery with a nils auger

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Ive drilled over 40 holes with a ridgid octane and 9ah battery thru 12” of ice with a 8” mora and still had 3 bars!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Ok, just checked, running the 4ah battery. My guess would be so-so on blade sharpness. I hand sharpen after every trip, but I'm also using the basic Ridgid hammer drill, not the octane. Using the 2 backup 2ah batteries that came with it, I get about 20-24 holes through a foot of ice. Not great, but good enough for the fishing I do usually, as I'm on foot and don't use a quad, so while I hole hop, I tend to be limited how far I can move. Sounds like that Nils makes a huge difference, though. Might need to upgrade to one of them bad boys eventually

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Ok, just checked, running the 4ah battery. My guess would be so-so on blade sharpness. I hand sharpen after every trip, but I'm also using the basic Ridgid hammer drill, not the octane. Using the 2 backup 2ah batteries that came with it, I get about 20-24 holes through a foot of ice. Not great, but good enough for the fishing I do usually, as I'm on foot and don't use a quad, so while I hole hop, I tend to be limited how far I can move. Sounds like that Nils makes a huge difference, though. Might need to upgrade to one of them bad boys eventually

Get the gatco ice auger sharpener. For $15 it sharpens the flat blade a shaver blades really sharp.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Get the gatco ice auger sharpener. For $15 it sharpens the flat blade a shaver blades really sharp.

I've been using something similar, where I have to strip the blades off, but the design on the Gatco looks really solid. Thanks for the advice!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:53 PM »
I've been using something similar, where I have to strip the blades off, but the design on the Gatco looks really solid. Thanks for the advice!

I figured $15 was the cost to have a set sharpened. So I bought it,

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Rigid hammer drill, Octane 9ah battery, Clam Plate, 8" Lazer auger with home made extension.
never drilled enough holes to kill it
Get bit!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2019, 11:06 AM »
I would get the Strikemaster 40V lithium. There is a Youtube vid by Nicole Stone proving that the SM 40V works better and cuts faster than any cordless drill. If I knew how to post it, I would. By the time you buy a drill, 18V Fuel, adapter, Clam Plate, etc, it will end up costing you more. I would only go the cordless drill route if I already had the drill and two batteries.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2019, 11:27 AM »
I would get the Strikemaster 40V lithium. There is a Youtube vid by Nicole Stone proving that the SM 40V works better and cuts faster than any cordless drill. If I knew how to post it, I would. By the time you buy a drill, 18V Fuel, adapter, Clam Plate, etc, it will end up costing you more. I would only go the cordless drill route if I already had the drill and two batteries.

Yes but the drill can be used year round

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2019, 12:33 PM »
That is true, plus they are lighter weight.

Offline R-K

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Does anybody have an opinion on the NILS convertible auger? I'm looking to get set up this winter, and I'd like something to use with my rigid cordless drill, but also have the handle backup.

I know it's been mentioned to get the hand auger, adapter, extension & flange, but the NILS seems like a simpler option for a Christmas list.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/nils-usa-convertible-hand-auger/1369400.uts?slotId=12
Trying to stay on the right side of the ground, and the ice.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Does anybody have an opinion on the NILS convertible auger? I'm looking to get set up this winter, and I'd like something to use with my rigid cordless drill, but also have the handle backup.

I know it's been mentioned to get the hand auger, adapter, extension & flange, but the NILS seems like a simpler option for a Christmas list.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/nils-usa-convertible-hand-auger/1369400.uts?slotId=12
I have a NILS. Can't tell you too much yet though. Got it at the end of last season and didn't get to use it much. So far this season I haven't been on ice thick enough to justify even getting the drill out. It seems to cut nice though. No center point but that hasn't seen to be much of a problem. Give me a month and I will be able to tell you much more. Sure someone on here will fill you in better. Good luck.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2019, 09:42 PM »

Get the orange nils ready for a drill. Then the plate and drill stem is on it, and they should come with a handle for hand drilling

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Pretty pumped to give this a try

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:25 PM »

That thing's going to shred. I'm happy with my Ridgid and basic Eskimo auger, with the drill plate and auger that looks like a beast.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:27 PM »

The man and his machine is lookin mighty mean!

You should be very pleased.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Battery looks small.lol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Battery looks small.lol

OOOOOOOOO good point. I found out upgrading to the 4.0 made a huge difference. You can find off-brand ones on Amazon that work great. That 2.0 won't last too long.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Im running the 9ah.8” holes all day long in 12” of ice.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Battery looks small.lol

The drill was in picture hanging mode, I've got a couple 4ah batteries for ice mode  ;) ;)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Also I wanted to give a shout out to shanty member sleddog1. StrikeMaster dropped the ball and didn't think to make an adapter for the lite flite to attach to a clam plate. Sleddog hooked me up with an adapter and if anybody is in the same boat as I was, don't hesitate to hit him up.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:58 PM »
The drill was in picture hanging mode, I've got a couple 4ah batteries for ice mode  ;) ;)
👍

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2019, 02:35 PM »

You're going to love it...I have the exact same setup, but with a Milwaukee.  I've used my a bunch already, just rips through ice like butter.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Also I wanted to give a shout out to shanty member sleddog1. StrikeMaster dropped the ball and didn't think to make an adapter for the lite flite to attach to a clam plate. Sleddog hooked me up with an adapter and if anybody is in the same boat as I was, don't hesitate to hit him up.

The K-Drill to Clam Plate adapter should work just fine for the new SM Lite Flight.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I just don't get it...like a lot of things I guess. Why all of the hype about drilling 50+ , 8" holes and the power to do such? First, where is the need to drill a hole that big unless your trying to pull a 20+ pound sturgeon, musky, pike,  etc. through it? Not many waters in North America  hold fish that big. Some do...yes. But few and far between. And 50 holes? Why? I'll wait for replies and backlash.😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:30 PM »
I just don't get it...like a lot of things I guess. Why all of the hype about drilling 50+ , 8" holes and the power to do such? First, where is the need to drill a hole that big unless your trying to pull a 20+ pound sturgeon, musky, pike,  etc. through it? Not many waters in North America  hold fish that big. Some do...yes. But few and far between. And 50 holes? Why? I'll wait for replies and backlash.😉

Hope!!   ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:35 PM »
stay out of my business.lol jk mike.i dont drill 50 a day but i like a 8” hole.it all about choices and seems like we lose choices every day.no ill will towards you tho bud.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.