Author Topic: How many Hp does 49cc equal ?  (Read 17285 times)

flaggggg

How many Hp does 49cc equal ?
« on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:51 AM »
l've got an 18 yr old strikemaster that runs like a bear and have not been able to get a straight answer as to comparative horsepower.l'm probably going to upgrade to a lazer mag but if l could recon the old one with a new shaft and twin blade it would be great for my kid.Any input would be greatly appreciated...... :'(

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re:How many Hp does 49cc equal ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:10 PM »
Flagg
I too have/had a (15yr old) 49 cc mag strikemaster that ran great.  It was an 8 in.  I decided I wanted a 10 in so I bought a 10 inch shaft and installed.  Totally fried the thing out!  From what I have read the 49 converts to a 2hp.  Keep the shaft to 8 in on the old one and just put a new blade on it.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

PTC

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:20 PM »
You can't convert displacement to horsepower. Horsepower on a rotating shaft is calculated by multiplying pounds of force x distance in feed per minute, then dividing by 33,000.

For your senario you'd need to measure the force in ft pounds 1 foot from shaft center. Then calculate distance traveled. (1 foot from shaft = 2 foot diameter) 2 foot diameter X 3.1416 = 6.2832 feet traveled per revolution of the shaft. So you'd multiply the force by 6.2832 x the RPM and divide by 33,000.

However.... Tecumseh does make a 49cc 2hp engine....  ;D

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2004, 05:37 AM »
ok go to http://www.wildman.com
 & then go to the  whole site & see cayuga lake  website  about  the funny looking devise   then it will take you to a conversion site   of a to z   one i know  it does temps.
 Hope I helped you
 :'( 8) :)
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:06 AM »
I agree -- 2hp equals 49 cc for Tecumseh
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

flaggggg

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2004, 03:28 PM »
Thanks guys l had two wacko's up the road here tellin me it was over 3 hp only l wasn't buyin.l just didn't know if it was worth investing money into an old machine for a new shaft with dual blades or stay with what's on there......... :'(

Offline Plug-N-Play

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:57 PM »
I went to the Jiffy site and their 49cc tech was a 2hp....The 3hp was 85cc.  Unless yours is in real bad shape, I'd repair it before forking over the big $$$'s for a new one.

fishmann

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2004, 03:58 PM »
I, too, agree with the 2HP train of thought. However, take note that I also have a 22 cc 2 cycle engine in my R/C boat, and it puts out nearly 4 hp. Of course, it has been severly modified, ported, polished, high compression, etc, has a tuned exhaust pipe like a motorcycle, runs 18-20,000 rpm and cost more than a couple new augers combined! I've often wondered how it would work if I could adapt it to an auger gearcase!!  :o :o :o

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:57 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.